Confused

32 replies to this topic

#21 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...59ab8b5e17d4972

After some playing around in anticipation of my new mouse, here is the revised Canyon Crow.

I just couldn't bear to part with the ERPPC. I like it's ECM cancellation. And it's snapshot ability w/ it's high mount.

I added a medium pulse laser after some tinkering between different kinds, and paired it w/ a SRM4 w/ 1 to of ammo.

My alpha can kill a fresh Commando outright in two CT hits, but I'm not looking to pick a full on fight. Still... I'm shocked how much of a difference the changes made.

I ran the 2x ER Large Lasers when Rabbi suggested them, I just didn't like them. The armor spread I like, It compliments my hitboxes. I have next to nothing in the rear side torsos, and a gaping maw in my rear center, the opposite for the front.

I ran this armor before, and am running it again, I can soak up some pretty decent damage, and have good staying power.

But now I can deal good damage, too.

#22 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:09 AM

Oh wow, i remember I was spectating you once and thought, wtf ... and know when i read you play with pad of laptop....

#23 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

Not sure if complementing me on playing with touch pad, or saying I sucked until you found out i was playing on a touchpad...

Or both?

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

I'm thinking it was both.

I wonder when MWO will be I-phone compatible. Heh.

I keep an ER PPC on my Stormcrow, too. Namely I keep a single ER PPC. Heat's manageable and it gives a nasty punch. I rely more on other weapons for main combat. Still, nothing beats an emergency ER PPC to your face.

#25 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

I'm liking the new build. Still not a fan of how the armor is laid out in the Smurfy link, but you do you man. Most important thing is, are you enjoying playing it? If so, then drive on!

The PPC is a good weapon, but it's just so HOT. You can't really boat them. They're not great in singles, but they're good for a light anyhow. The MPL and SRM combo should be good stuff up close.

Keep us updated as you get that new mouse hooked up--it should make a HUGE difference!

#26 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...98efb1b07e11ac6

This is the final revision. I also am still learning how to use Smurfy's Mech Lab, so I noticed like 4 tons of armor was missing from each torso... hehehe, my bad.

This one is proof read. After much deliberation, and some tears, I let my ERPPC go. I traded up for a JJ, another half ton of SRM4 Ammo, a spare heat sink and an ER Large Laser.

I can some good dps, have very manageable heat now, and get great JJ thrust for extra mobility.

I also liked running a Pulse Large Laser sometimes, but it was so situational that it became nearly useless...

So I hit a middle ground. And this 'Mech, THIS... oh baby.

Hit the flanks, fade away, harry from distance, cut behind the enemy lines w/ a lighting strike and drop a UAV, move w/ my Heavies and Assaults to provide flank defense and distance dps support. In this 'Mech, even WITH my crappy touch pad, I've been dealing some damage.

This baby can drop some hurtin' bombs on people, and that's not even using the Artillery Strike.

I preferred the Artillery to the Airstrike, it works better for clustered enemies, especially heavies and Assaults.

And when I Alpha into a Light, even his an ancestor's feel the hurt.

HURTIN' BOMBS!!! YEAH!!!

#27 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

OUCH!

First, move that 1/2 ton of SRM ammo OUT of that side torso! If it gets blown up, it takes the torso with it (including your engine, and therefore, your match). Drop is in the leg or CT.

Thinking you haven't fixed the CT armor in that yet, since it's still showing more REAR than FRONT. 20 rear CT armor is more than most 100-ton assault mechs run.

Still, run what YOU love. If you're having a good time in that rig, then again, YOU DO YOU. Let us learn to live with it.

So here's what I love about the ERLL versus the PPC/ERPPC: It's USEFUL in a knife fight. Not AS useful as MPLs or SPLs, but far more so than PPCs. You just TRY to hold the ERLL on an enemy light mech's legs, then swing the torso away to show him that dead left side (in THAT build, anyhow, and HOPE he sucks and hits the tiny ARM instead of the SIDE TORSO), and repeat. Well, on top of your MPL and SRM. With a PPC, it's all or nothing. Better for hill humping (which the RVN does well) or corner peeking (which the RVN ALSO does well), with that damage all getting out of the mech virtually instantly. But for up-close taking shots at a fast-moving, small target? Not so great. ERLL is a bit of a compromise. Costs you an extra second or so of exposure and a point or two of damage, and can have that damage spread around. On the other hand, it's better at getting into light mech legs up-close and it's cooler.

Now, you wanna feel a HURT BOMB? Go toe-to-toe against a SplatCrow in that thing. Those things are carpet-bombing B-52s of HURT...

#28 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

That information on CT Armor with Assaults was very, very helpful for setting a benchmark.

I've adjusted my Armor Loadout again, but still have more of a bias towards my rear.

32-12 CT, 22-10 for LT and RT.

I don't like being exposed while flanking, and multiple enemies **** me when I get flanked.

Reading my quirks, and finding I had extra structure means when I'm stripped I have some extra HP to burn.

I wasn't sure what the damage calc was like at a practical or competitive level. This change will help me play better my way.

I'm not a really competitive guy, I'm here for the long haul and to have fun. But taking from my team in a team heavy game takes from other guys fun. So I seek feedback.

Btw: Do you also use CAPS for emphasis, or am I just practicing bad forum etiquette? I'm not trying to be an ***, but this is my first forum since USENET, when I was like... 8.

Also, I'm in a Clan now, and for clarification I need 4 'Mechs, all Clan to drop any mission, that is to play a match in Faction Play, as a Clan Member?

My favorite 'Mechs are all Clan 'Mechs anyway. The Timber Wolf, Stormcrow, Summoner, Mad Dog, Hellbringer... all favorites of mine.

How does the ECM mechanic work? What are it's uses?

Also, what are ACs used for? The AC/2 has 2 damage, but what it's advantage versus a single Small Laser or Small Pulse Laser?

In the lore, is there a Raven IIC variant? I know there is a Rifleman IIC and Warhammer IIC, so I'll get those one day, but other than that I don't have any favorites among IS... except Urbanmechs and Bushwhackers. But that's because in Mech Commander 2 you started with Bushwhackers and could salvaged a couple of Urbanmechs early on, and they were solid performers for the tonnage.

Again, thanks for the input. My trackball will be here the coming Monday, is there anything I should know about damage, armor, JJs, heat, or well... anything to benchmark my builds too? I want to have fun, with people who want to have fun, but I don't want to detract from their fun by dying all the time. Benchmarks or links to forum threads with all the maths on it would be great.

Forum etiquette and commands (quoting and such) or a link to a forum thread on it would be great. I'm pretty up on basic civil interaction amongst human beings and society as a whole, but text tends to translate poorly compared to speaking.

Thanks in advance.

#29 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostMotormouth, on 16 February 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

I

've adjusted my Armor Loadout again, but still have more of a bias towards my rear.

I don't like being exposed while flanking, and multiple enemies **** me when I get flanked.

Not a bad distribution, all mechs need SOME rear armor just in case someone gets behind you, the only real exception is in CW, it is rare that you get back shot, and if you do it is probably going poorly for your team already.

I'm not a really competitive guy, I'm here for the long haul and to have fun. But taking from my team in a team heavy game takes from other guys fun. So I seek feedback.

Btw: Do you also use CAPS for emphasis, or am I just practicing bad forum etiquette? I'm not trying to be an ***, but this is my first forum since USENET, when I was like... 8.

I use caps sparingly, but when I do use them it is for emphisis, not to simulate shouting, look at my response above, the word SOME is used for emphasis, and I think it was pretty obvious wheat my intent was. Unfortunately, on the internet it is very easy to be taken wrongly. I have had people accuse me of "shouting" when I was not attempting to do so. If a post is in ALL CAPS LIKE THIS, then that *is* considered rude, and "shouting", so you really do want to avoid it in all but the most extreme situations, and even then posting in all caps is sure to make many people skip your post or simply disregard what you were trying to say.

Electronic Counter Measures. Equipping one allows you 2 functions. The first is that it makes your mech invisible to radar, and that bubble extends to a 90m radius, protecting other mechs in addition to your own. That means that neither you nor your allies can be targeted by the enemy computers, denying lock on for missles and additional information. This is called "Disrupt" mode, and is the default mode for ECM. You can switch ECM modes by hitting "J", that will move it to "Counter" mode, which will counter an enemy ECM that is close to you (I forget the range on counter). If you are in a light mech and are fighting another light mech (assuming you both have ECM), switch your ECM to counter, that would allow friendlies to target your enemy and possibly assist with LRMs and so on.

http://mwo.gamepedia...asure_%28ECM%29

Has some more information for you.

Also, what are ACs used for? The AC/2 has 2 damage, but what it's advantage versus a single Small Laser or Small Pulse Laser?

Lasers have light weight and no ammo. But they generate a lot of heat. ACs (ballistics) have a lot of weight, require ammo, and produce less heat (in general) than lasers. Lasers also have a "burn time", meaning that when you fire a laser the beam is "on" for a period of time, doing damage for the entire beam duration, requiring you to keep your beam on target to do full damage. ACs fire a "slug" which does all the damage in one concentrated hit. AC slugs also travel slower than lasers, meaning thaqt you have to lead your target at range in order to hit them.

Ballistics are a lot of fun, and can be absolutely devastating, but they are a little harder to use than lasers. (note, I said a LITTLE), they just require practice. AC2s, in particular, travel very fast, fire very quickly, have great range and only take 1 slot (+ammo), the problem with the AC2 is that it is only doing 2 damage per strike. That is less than a small laser. But the AC2 can reach out and touch someone at 1000m+, and it fires much faster than a SL. In multiples an AC2 can wreck someone FAST. I personally prefer the AC5, but that is a discussion for another time.

#30 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostMotormouth, on 16 February 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

That information on CT Armor with Assaults was very, very helpful for setting a benchmark.

I've adjusted my Armor Loadout again, but still have more of a bias towards my rear.

Much better. You should be seeing more survivability that way. The key now, is to use that mech's mobility to keep from letting enemies get behind you. MAKE them work through that front armor, which is significantly heavier than the rear.

Reading my quirks, and finding I had extra structure means when I'm stripped I have some extra HP to burn.

Yup. Keep in mind, though, that once the armor is gone from a particular location, any equipment inside it CAN be destroyed by critical hits, even if the component itself (leg, torso, whatever) survives.

I wasn't sure what the damage calc was like at a practical or competitive level. This change will help me play better my way.

Most folks around here use CAPS for emphasis or for acronyms. More the former than the latter, but you'll see both.

Also, if you see all-CAPS in game chat, sometimes it's not intentional. A lot of us use CAPS LOCK for the Push-To-Talk button for in-game VOIP or TeamSpeak or whatever, and we don't always take the time to check the CAPS LOCK status before typing in chat. It's not usually the "This is how I SHOUT at you in CHAT" thing.

Also, I'm in a Clan now, and for clarification I need 4 'Mechs, all Clan to drop any mission, that is to play a match in Faction Play, as a Clan Member?

You don't HAVE to have 4 mechs, but you have to USE 4 mechs, of that side. Either Clan or Inner Sphere. And as you're aligned with Clans now, you'll have to use four (4) CLAN mechs to drop in Faction Warfare. It is RECOMMENDED, but not REQUIRED, that you own the mechs you use. It is further recommended that you have completed at least the full ELITE level skills for each mech you bring.

The hard requirements are that all four mechs belong to the appropriate tech base (Clan or IS), and that the sum of the weights of the four be within the published drop deck tonnage limits. Currently, that sits at 160 tons minimum and 260 tons maximum per player. So, you couldn't take a deck of all four Arctic Cheetahs. That would be short by 20 tons (35 * 4 = 140, 140 < 160). You also couldn't use a deck of all Warhawks (85 * 4 = 340, 340 > 260).

Despite what some will inevitably tell you, you CAN and MAY use trial mechs in Faction Warfare matches. That said, I would HIGHLY recommend that if you use a trial mech, you only use those which are designated CHAMPION mechs. That is, they'll have the ( C ) after their chassis/variant designation. Arctic Cheetah, Storm Crow, Timber Wolf, and Dire Wolf, all have Champion variants in the trial mech pool. More are coming, too. The builds have been community-submitted and are being considered by PGI. It is the case today that all Champion mech builds in the game were designed by members of this forum community, and therefore they're fairly good in most cases. Not THE best meta builds, but more than good enough for you to pull your weight against similarly-experienced opponents.

My favorite 'Mechs are all Clan 'Mechs anyway. The Timber Wolf, Stormcrow, Summoner, Mad Dog, Hellbringer... all favorites of mine.

ECM, first and foremost, obscures the equipped mech (and any of its friendlies within 90 meters) from enemy sensors. When an enemy is within 90m of the ECM, it is unable to share targeting data with its team. ECM defies target lock for Streak SRMs and LRMs. There are ranges within which ECM is no longer effective for most of these purposes, though. Also, ECM is countered by Active Probe, a NARC beacon attached to the equipped mech, TAG laser designation, or a UAV overhead. ECM may also be used in COUNTER mode--that is, when within its radius of an ENEMY ECM, your ECM may be switched (by you) to COUNTER, in which case it will exactly and solely counteract the effects of exactly ONE enemy ECM.

Okay, so the AC/2 versus a Small Laser? First, the AC/2 has SEVERAL times the range of that SL. Second, it has a higher rate of fire as well. Third, it induces some cockpit shake in the target mech. Fourth, it has a slightly increased chance to cause critical damage when hitting an unarmored component.

It's more appropriate to consider the AC/2 versus something of similar range, say a ERPPC. They're roughly comparable in optimal range. The ERPPC does 10 damage, to the AC/2's 2. The ERPPC throws down some 15 points of heat, though, per shot, where the AC/2 does only 0.80. AC/2 DOES have a shorter (720m to 810m) range, though either is more-or-less effective at the unmodified maximum sensor range anyhow--if you can get a red dorito, either weapon will usually do max damage there. The AC/2's cooldown is 0.72 seconds, versus the ERPPC's 4.00. That is, it can throw out as much damage in a little less time (3.60 seconds, to the ERPPC's 4.00), for less heat (4.00 to the ERPPC's 15.00). And an AC/2 with one ton of ammo weighs as much as an ERPPC. So, the AC/2 can, on paper, out-DPS the ERPPC at nearly the same range, and at any meaningful range anyhow, for less heat, and is limited only by ammo. The drawback, though? In order for the AC/2 to match damage with the ERPPC, it has to hit the target in the same component at least FIVE times in FOUR seconds. The ERPPC gets all 10 points of damage out fully front-loaded, all-or-nothing.

Now, the AC/20 hits for TWICE the damage of any PPC. BUT, its optimal range is the same as that of a medium laser, (270m). Even a regular PPC doubles that optimal range, and doesn't depend on ammo to do the damage, and weighs half as much, and takes up 30% of the same space. But when you're getting uncomfortably-close face time with an enemy assault mech, you'd rather have the cooler-firing, deadlier AC/20.

That's autocannons in a nutshell.

In the lore, is there a Raven IIC variant? I know there is a Rifleman IIC and Warhammer IIC, so I'll get those one day, but other than that I don't have any favorites among IS... except Urbanmechs and Bushwhackers. But that's because in Mech Commander 2 you started with Bushwhackers and could salvaged a couple of Urbanmechs early on, and they were solid performers for the tonnage.

No RVN-IIC. There is a RVN II, but it's an IS mech produced well after 3100 in the Capellan Confederation. There's also the Men Shen, an IS omnimech (again, Capellan, as the Raven was one of the few good things to come out of Liao space) produced some time later on. We don't have ANY IS omnimechs in game right now, so don't look for that any time soon.

Again, thanks for the input. My trackball will be here the coming Monday, is there anything I should know about damage, armor, JJs, heat, or well... anything to benchmark my builds too? I want to have fun, with people who want to have fun, but I don't want to detract from their fun by dying all the time. Benchmarks or links to forum threads with all the maths on it would be great.

Forum etiquette and commands (quoting and such) or a link to a forum thread on it would be great. I'm pretty up on basic civil interaction amongst human beings and society as a whole, but text tends to translate poorly compared to speaking.

Thanks in advance.

For some tryhard mech builds, go to metamechs.com. Or look two doors down in the Training Grounds Forum, at the Guides & Strategies. Within there, there is a Battlemechs forum, and within that there are subforums for each mech weight class. Under the light mechs, you'll find over three years of RVN trial and error waiting to be rediscovered.

Google "NATO Phonetic Alphabet". Probably the best thing to know in terms of voice callouts. Typically, folks will work with NATO phonetic letters for identifiers for individual enemy mechs (you'll notice they each get a letter, in sequence, starting with A, according to the modern English alphabet). Specific grid locations on the battlegrid map usually work by the same convention as well. Of course, Greek letter designations are used for resource points in Conquest matches, and also for gate naming in FW/CW matches. Beyond that, keep it as brief as possible while still conveying all important information. What's important, you ask? You'll figure it out. Ask yourself, what would I want to know if someone were calling on me to go destroy a particular enemy mech? Tell that to your teammates.

#31 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

Ask yourself, what would I want to know if someone were calling on me to go destroy a particular enemy mech? Tell that to your teammates.
\

By that logic I would expect to hear :

Pilot 1: "OH CRAP THEY ARE KILLING ME NEXT TO THE BIG BROKEN THING".
Pilot 2: One, need location and enemy strength. Call the grid
Pilot 1: "SHOOT THE ATLAS THAT IS KILLING ME YOU IDIOTS!!!!
Pilot 2: One, support is ready but we need a location. Can't help you if we don;t know where you are.
Pilot 1: FOR F***'S SAKE I AM NEXT TO THE BIG ROCK WITH SNOW ON IT, NEAR THE TRENCH. HELP ME HELP ME.
Pilot 2: One, support is now engaged in grid H8, we still do not know where you are. Maybe you should not have run off by yourself in a Hunchback. We told you to at least stay close to the group.
Pilot 1: I'M DEAD. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU PATHETIC NOOBS. YOUR COMPLETE LACK OF HELP WAS JUST WHAT I EXPECTED FROM A BUNCH OF TIER 5 IDIOTS. LTP YOU MORONS.

#32 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

View PostMotormouth, on 12 February 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Actually it was Critical Rocket that got me into MWO in the firsgt place.

Is there a stagger mechanic? If so, how do I counter it, avoid it or absorb it?

My light can move quick with the XL275 now, but when getting into heavier mechs, how should I deal with it?

You kill a mech by destroying it's Center Torso, or the cockpit, or destroying both legs. Those mechs that carry Inner Sphere XL engines can also be destroyed by taking out any of their side torsos. Keep that information in mind, If you run into a bigger mech in a light, rely on your mobility, get behind them, don't be afraid to run around circuitous routes, confuse them, and then double back and stab them when they don't know where you're coming from.

This is advice for 1 v 1, but every situation is unique. Start getting familiar with the iconic bits of mechs, like the Right torso hunch on the Hunchback is where 80% of it's firepower is. Take that out, and it's left helpless. Victors, and Highlanders tend to pack ballistic guns in the right arm. Big ones, too. Shadowhawks have big ballistics in their left torso ... etc.

With practice you'll be able to discern your enemy's vulnerabilities, and strengths better, and faster. If you can do it, they abuse their weakness immediately, for a quick kill. If you can't do that, then destroy their biggest strength to make a long fight easy on you.

#33 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 16 February 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

\

By that logic I would expect to hear :

Pilot 1: "OH CRAP THEY ARE KILLING ME NEXT TO THE BIG BROKEN THING".
Pilot 2: One, need location and enemy strength. Call the grid
Pilot 1: "SHOOT THE ATLAS THAT IS KILLING ME YOU IDIOTS!!!!
Pilot 2: One, support is ready but we need a location. Can't help you if we don;t know where you are.
Pilot 1: FOR F***'S SAKE I AM NEXT TO THE BIG ROCK WITH SNOW ON IT, NEAR THE TRENCH. HELP ME HELP ME.
Pilot 2: One, support is now engaged in grid H8, we still do not know where you are. Maybe you should not have run off by yourself in a Hunchback. We told you to at least stay close to the group.
Pilot 1: I'M DEAD. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU PATHETIC NOOBS. YOUR COMPLETE LACK OF HELP WAS JUST WHAT I EXPECTED FROM A BUNCH OF TIER 5 IDIOTS. LTP YOU MORONS.

NICE! And fairly common, I might add.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users