Withdrawal Symptoms

22 replies to this topic

#1 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

having hit my frustration point again ( it usually takes around 6 months before i need a "break" ) with PGI + Russ with the total lack of meaningful progress and circular balancing problems.... I uninstalled MWO client 3 days ago........and shocked myself that i'm yet to have any of the usual withdrawal issues.

Confused as to how this has happened, iv'e checked my recent games to find a few garbage indie games are now scratching my itch for gaming currently, and my only real craving not being fulfilled is my Battletech addiction.

Iv'e found myself having used MWO to fill time until something else better comes along, not necessarily a FPS either, something with a lot more substance than that ( I can't wait till Total War : Warhammer comes out, bring on April ).

I for one have found the community and players have drawn me in more than i might have been otherwise, but as far as long term goes, i think iv'e found a way to break the addiction issues : iv'e finally accepted that MWO is a FPS with stompy robots, nothing more, and it will likely devolve further down that path.

We were originally sold a vision of a "thinking mans shooter" stepped in lore with various specific roles in combat to fulfill. It seems to have missed the mark sadly.......

This makes me wonder what is it that is keeping people here predominately :
-Is it that the game itself is what people are enjoying, its great and has long term play-ability ??
-Is it the battletech IP its loosely based on and the dream it may one day become something worthy of it namesake ??

Or is there something else ??

anyways, ill keep dreaming of that great game stepped in lore and will check in from time to time to see if the game becomes what was envisioned, but i think iv'e found a way to beat the addiction. I won't miss the squirrels on meth laser vomit meta players, R.I.P. MWO - the thinking mans shooter.

P.S. - this is not flame bait / a troll post to cause shite / or a goodbye post that is forbidden under the ToS.......its genuine curiosity as to why we strategy players have sunk to playing a FPS for gaming pleasure, and to share how to beat the addiction that might be troubling like minded people.

Draw your own conclusions about my game-play future, and share if you think there is something to the game iv'e missed that does give it long term prospects or the in depth strategy in game-play.

May your heat sinks always run cold, and your ballistics always crit.
May your missile have locks hold, and your opponents always be ****.

Death to squirrels on meth, happy hunting people.

#2 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

For me, it's just simply a MechWarrior game like any other.

I'd personally like to see some features implemented like active/passive radar, HTAL readouts, and other common elements of previous MW games, but this game still feels very much like the MW I've always loved.

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

Shooting big stompy robots is apparently all that I require. I just don't require as much of it as I used to.

#4 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostAresye, on 11 February 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

For me, it's just simply a MechWarrior game like any other.

I'd personally like to see some features implemented like active/passive radar, HTAL readouts, and other common elements of previous MW games, but this game still feels very much like the MW I've always loved.

I'd love to see "more" in any form and also reminisce about other titles of the IP that had great features, i think that's where my dream of the game becoming something worthy of it name comes from. Yeah its fun and the like, but only while i cling to that dream......I find it more of a nightmare now because the dream is dead, and i'm ashamed to say it took me three years to realize it.

#5 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

after nearly 3 years of play i'm still in the honeymoon phase... except the wife won't do "every thing". that's the best analogy i got

#6 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

View Post1Grimbane, on 11 February 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

after nearly 3 years of play i'm still in the honeymoon phase... except the wife won't do "every thing". that's the best analogy i got

ROFLROFL

thank you sir for my laugh today, after 20 years of marriage, i can really empathize with that one.

if MWO if my wife, its time to cash in on the life insurance......now wheres my gun...

Edited by Bonger Bob, 11 February 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#7 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:47 PM

we all know that feel of not having a real battletech game for a decade
all we can do is just wait or start playing some homemade battletech games

View Post1Grimbane, on 11 February 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

except the wife won't do "every thing".

i wish my wife would buy me a rifleman package
oh wait i don't have one nor the money

#8 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

Waiting for Harebrained schemes Battletech strategy game.

Although they won't have the Clans in it; guess I will just have to go with a merc unit named "Ghost Bear's Dragoons" ;D

#9 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostColdPsyker1, on 11 February 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

Waiting for Harebrained schemes Battletech strategy game.

Although they won't have the Clans in it; guess I will just have to go with a merc unit named "Ghost Bear's Dragoons" ;D

yup, i nearly bought into the crowdfunding, but then that sour taste from IGP's Mechwarrior : Tactics came back. I really hope it comes to fruition and takes its place so rightly deserved. Going to have to wait and see though, lost too much on Mechwarrior: Tactics to endure that level of agro and pain from my wife again........ she still has a dig at me for it nowdays when i buy games......

hopefully in time they will progress it to include clans too, time will tell i guess.

#10 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

It's enough Mechwarrior that I enjoy just in that capacity, but I also just love the gameplay. I couldn't tell you what it is about it, but MWO just nailed the combat gameplay, IMO. I can't think of any shooter I'd rather play

#11 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

View PostBonger Bob, on 11 February 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

We were originally sold a vision of a "thinking mans shooter" stepped in lore with various specific roles in combat to fulfill. It seems to have missed the mark sadly.......

For those of us coming from MW4, we were not "sold" anything, nor were any promises broken. We were promised a Mechwarrior game and we got it. Promise fulfilled. Not everyone has had their overly sensitive feelings hurt. Some of us are liking the game and direction just fine. The only promise they could've broken us previous non-tabletop non-lore Mechwarrior title pilots is if they failed to make the game.

There is not just two sets of audiences here such as those that are Tabletop/lore and those that are Shooters/CoD. There is another group that refuse to play shooters and won't play tabletop, and are just glad there is a new Mechwarrior video game.

Please don't automatically assume everyone is part of your "we". Replace that with "I" because it your opinion.

Edited by Coolant, 11 February 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#12 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 11 February 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

i wish my wife would buy me a rifleman package
oh wait i don't have one nor the money

you throw me 3,400 mc and we'll iron out a scheme to get ya one..

#13 Kyrie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

What has kept me around is the hope that at some point in the future, a meaningful mil-sim strategy game with mechs will exist, as an MMO.

No, CW aint it. And no, the hbs game proposed aint it either.

#14 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostCoolant, on 11 February 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

For those of us coming from MW4, we were not "sold" anything, nor were any promises broken. We were promised a Mechwarrior game and we got it. Promise fulfilled. Not everyone has had their overly sensitive feelings hurt. Some of us are liking the game and direction just fine. The only promise they could've broken us previous non-tabletop non-lore Mechwarrior title pilots is if they failed to make the game.

There is not just two sets of audiences here such as those that are Tabletop/lore and those that are Shooters/CoD. There is another group that refuse to play shooters and won't play tabletop, and are just glad there is a new Mechwarrior video game.

Please don't automatically assume everyone is part of your "we". Replace that with "I" because it your opinion.

yup, your very right in saying that there is a section of players that wouldn't give 2 shites about what the game is called, where its lore is derived from, and what was originally envisioned. Grats to them, i think its great there is a game out there you enjoy.

you hit the nail on the head with the non table-top non-lore mechwarrior pilots.

For those of us that appreciate, respect and admire the IP, MWO is almost offensive in some respects to where our core gameplay is sought and derived from.

and thats all i was asking about and referring to, those of us who love strategy games with depth, which is what mechwarrior used to represent. Now we have mechwarrior meaning FPS and table-top turn based game from the 80's depending on who you ask.

So for those of us ( yes US, I know I am not alone here ) that are basically still playing a game ( FPS ) we don't normally play, I asked what it is that keep us playing ???

if you find that question offensive, welcome to the internet. If you find my references to MWO being far more a first person shooter than it is a strategy sim, wake up and smell the coffee. The IP has been disfigured and mutilated under the guise of giving players "the thinking mans shooter", and for a long while now many have sat patiently waiting for it to become more so.

Instead in the 4th year of ongoing development of a title based on a loved IP, we have a continuing pattern of degradation away from strategy taking the entire game more towards just another FPS every day. There are lots of players like myself who play the game more because of the IP than the FPS it is rapidly becoming.

So yeah, please excuse me for sharing my thoughts on how similar players might overcome that misguided addiction to MWO, along with curiosity as to why people do continue playing a game they want strategy and depth from when there is less of it as time goes on.

#15 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

"thinking mans shooter"...is nothing for real Time Play..is a Idea for Round based Games and Trash BT Novels ...12 Sites in a Novel for 3 Sekonds realtime , 10 Minutes Thinking for a TT Round (in Real Time =10 sekonds)...Fight is not Thinking ,is Action and reaction in under 1 second...you can not Thinkig, is a Aerospacefighter with 300kmh of Course to bombing you Mechcockpit, in Games like MWLL dominated Tanks and Aerospacefighters the Game, Mechs only slow dump Targets

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 11 February 2016 - 11:49 PM.

#16 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

I really enjoy the gameplay of MWO.
It has it's rough spots, and sometimes i get frustrated and take a small break myself, but i just love running around in a mech and making other mechs explode.
I wasn't even a great BT fan before, so that can't be the reason.
It's just... big stompy robots. I love big stompy robots, and MWO's gameplay makes me feel in one more than enough.

#17 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:03 AM

is not the Table Top ...in the TT you can not hit a with 150kmh driving Car ,or the cockpit of a still standing mech in 50m

#18 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

guys... it is a game. play if you like,don't when your mood isn't right for it. It is here for fun.

Seriously... I mean it is all nice that you people open yourself and share your inner feelings and can talk about what matters for you and stuff... but sometimes I feel like in a support group for aged mechwarriors.

so much drama every day about something so unimportant, a computer game... but who am I to rant about it, carry on. how do you really feel today?

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:59 AM

I don't miss it when I'm not playing. I do however, keep an interest to see how the game continues to evolve and create solutions to its problems.

I think the elements to create a real great game are all right there, but these bits and pieces are not working together, nor put together because the creators are too myopic, too narrowly focused on certain issues so that they are constantly chasing the same tail after three years, rather than having a broad picture of what a really good game should be.

#20 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

MWO is like an old exotic dancer, we know we can get something better elsewhere, but we're familiar with her show and week after week, watching her dance while laughing and having a rowdy time with your buddies is the thing you do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users