As7-S - Ok, What's The Secret?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 163 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Doing pretty well with my King Crab (4 X UAC5 + 3 ML) but really would like to brawl with the Atlas S (2 ML, 1 X AC20, 4 X ASRM6).

I keep trying. Occasional lucky match but, even though I stick with others I usually become the focus of LRM's, lights & multiple snipers. Maps are getting bigger, wide open. feel like I have to peek around corners..wait a lot more while the smaller, faster mechs are firing away with dakka or LL's....Doesn't seem like the fearsome ATLAS. Lucky if I reach the enemy with my short range weapons without first taking significant long range punishment/damage...Does not seem right or wise to just hide till they are closer...

What am I missing? Thanks.

Edited by Odd Thomas, 12 February 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

Don't know if you'll find it helpful, but here is my Atlas build (or something like this).

I get close and override my heat (as long as I have a target in front of me). I typically aim for a single target, and try to be sneaky. If I need some range, I shoot with my LLs (which can be changed to ERLLs if desired, but be careful of heat when you start to brawl). I've found 3-6 alphas (depending upon the mech and the friendliness of Hit Registration) kills just about any target I crash into.

Also, if you have a team behind you and you are pressing through a choke point, DON'T STOP. Keep pushing in. Even if you die, if your team is behind you, they should finish the push and kill whomever was killing you. But, you have to know when to charge forwards, and also a bit of hope that your team will follow you when you do charge forwards.

My main statement on your build from what I can tell is, if only short range is being a problem, them maybe place some longer ranged weapons on to support while you close the gap? For my mech, it's the LLs that let me deal some damage, even if minor, to the enemy till I can really reck face. They aren't a primary weapon, and I don't play to just them. Sometimes, one needs a little balance to make a mech work.

#3 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 163 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

The LL's make sense. Keep them ducking while I close in.
With the new maps/mechs it seems like the way to go.
Thanks for the reply.

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

View PostOdd Thomas, on 12 February 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

The LL's make sense. Keep them ducking while I close in.
With the new maps/mechs it seems like the way to go.
Thanks for the reply.

If it works for you, then use it. I don't even care if you copy the build I presented, or alter it. Freely given.

I always encourage players to experiment. If one thing isn't working, try something else. There is no harm in it. Posted Image

#5 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bef99c598f567f5

#6 Steinkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNOLA

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

I run this build. I enjoy it quite a lot.

#7 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

In preparation for tomorrow - also known as the "flamer patch day":

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 February 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

How bad this flamer AS7-S would be? Posted Image

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 February 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

In preparation for tomorrow - also known as the "flamer patch day":

AHHH! THE FLAMERS! MY EYES ARE ON FIRE!

Sarcastic response aside, no worse of a test bed to try it on than anything else, I guess. I'd image they might be better served on a light mech for testing, and see if people actually do overheat with it now. Do recall, Flamers got a damage reduction in the patch, so keep that in mind.

#9 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 February 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

...Do recall, Flamers got a damage reduction in the patch, so keep that in mind.

They are not for damaging components.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 February 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

They are not for damaging components.

Just reminding is all. I don't even know if they will still be good at blinding now, which was the reason to take them beforehand.

#11 An Ax Murderer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUSA, North Carolina

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

Alright, here it is...

This is the build that I've been running the past few weeks. Rather than wasting heat on MLAS, I took them off entirely. In the middle of a brawl, an extra alpha of 4 ASRM6+AC/20 is worth a lot more than the pinpoint damage of a few lasers.

As far as flexibility is concerned, I am playing around with substituting different amounts of ammo with a larger engine. With 5 tons of SRM ammo and 6 tons of AC/20 ammo you can run about 58.3 (STD 335) with a few extra heat sinks. Brings the heat management to a good level.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e040e6d29f86355

You can also opt for running a STD 345 with the same ammo but less heat sinks..

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7683deb513f974f

Or you can sacrifice ammo AND heat for a 350.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8fca91be7742650

Personally, I have run the STD 335 pretty extensively and found that the 2-3 kph lost is far outweighed by the extra ammo (extremely useful in prolonged engagements) and extra heat sinks (STD 335 variant can alpha 4-5 times before overheating). While some run with only 2-3 tons AC/20 and 3-4 tons SRM, I find it very helpful to not have to conserve ammo.

No matter your engine preference, I would not recommend running with MLAS as they are a huge waste of heat and do not add much to your brawling capabilities IMHO.

Edited by An Ax Murderer, 02 March 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#12 Flushot

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

I find that succeeding in an Atlas is far more about reading a battle properly than it is your build. Knowing the timing of when to run in. Knowing whether you have a team that is going to follow you or just leave you hanging alone. Finding places in the maps where you can hang out behind a corner or ridge and ruin someone's day as they push out.

Personally I'm running AC20, 4 SRM4, 2 MPL, 2 ML with a STD350. The bigger engine just gives you a little more leeway to correct mistakes in positioning. My goal in every match is to find individual mechs without cover and then blow their face off. Rinse and repeat. Not many mechs can beat an Atlas if you start the fight facing each other at 200m with no cover. The trick is to create those circumstances.

#13 Steinkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNOLA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

So, two nights ago I my internet went out right at the beginning of a drop on Tourmaline. To my surprise, when I was finally able to reconnect, I was untouched and in perfect position to Leroy Jenkins into the enemy's back line, which I totally did. 3 minutes later, I had 3 kills, 3 assists, 395 damage, and the match was over, with my team winning. I had changed my build to this: AS7-S, and it just vomits out the damage.

#14 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:26 PM

All you need is an AC20 and 4 ASRM6 and a 350 engine.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users