Thunderbolt In Need Of Buffs

Balance

54 replies to this topic

#21 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

10% max range will only limit weapon choices further, as mech being able to make use of IS LPLs will just be forced to pick up the LLs as well.

The Hot Dog will still be ok with 3LL+3ML, thanks to being the tankiest of the the pack with high mounts, but the rest of the T-bolts will definitely be excluded from optimal CW dropdecks.

#22 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

You can still Alpha all day long in your still quirked to hell TDR.....let's not forget the stupid short beam duration that allows to take Clan torso's before they can react...yea happy to see these Over quirked mechs nerfed to balanced level....

IS META Mechs > Clan META Mechs....

#23 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

Played my T-Bolts today, they still kick massive backside. My Top Dog was sitting at the top of the scoreboard for most of the matches and I never really felt I needed any kind of additional quirk boost.

#24 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

Killing Tbolts so easily in my 4x srm6 4x med pulse Tibmerwolf. Damn TDRs just cant shoot you till their in your kill range and cant get away. Hahahaha

#25 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

You're right about ThunderWubs to an extent, but PPC and ERLL builds work quite well still. Timbys are tough but my wubbing top dog can drill through them faster than they can drill though me at close range.

#26 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 13 February 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

You're right about ThunderWubs to an extent, but PPC and ERLL builds work quite well still. Timbys are tough but my wubbing top dog can drill through them faster than they can drill though me at close range.

Exactly, at least with out the Clanner not having to worrying about killing himself in an override to keep up with the DPM. I have seen in CW many time's TDR's just walking through a Timberwolf...personally I feel that shouldn't happen at all but taht is the classic clanner in me screaming THATS NOT POSSIBLE IN LORE WTF! But then again...who would want to play IS if a Timberwolf could take on a lance and wipe them out with no effort lol.

Edited by CK16, 13 February 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#27 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

what ? :S

#28 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

I admit I do not just walk though a heavy clanner in my Top Dog, even a SMN can be tough if the pilot is competent. I cannot afford to miss when I am going toe to toe with a Timby but I find it slightly easier in the Bolt than when I play my Clan account and go toe to toe and I am the Timby pilot.

#29 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

Mechs should be balanced around quickplay first and foremost.

#30 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:34 PM

The reason why T-Bolts almost vanished from CW is tonnage. What if dropdeck tonnage drops to 250 or 240 tons?

#31 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:34 PM

LOL at those using the argument "now you see more marauders, black knights, other heavies in CW now".

Well maybe that was the f'n point.

#32 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 13 February 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

The reason why T-Bolts almost vanished from CW is tonnage. What if dropdeck tonnage drops to 250 or 240 tons?

View PostNauht, on 13 February 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

LOL at those using the argument "now you see more marauders, black knights, other heavies in CW now".

The CW tonnage increase allowed players to bring heavier mechs. And the other mechs are halfway decent but many will disappear if/when the tonnage is dropped to 250?

250-ton deck - primarily energy setups.
marauders/blackknight/blackjack/55-tons left
battlemaster/marauder/blackjack/45-tons left
2warhammers/blackjack/ t-bolt
T-bolt/Blackknight/grasshopper/40-tons left
3 T-bolts/blackjack/10-tons to spare

The differences will be whether the mech setup for primarily range exchange, close range or a little of both?

The big thing though is which side will the larger mercs be on after the next patch? More organized troops dropping on one side than the other will almost always make the biggest difference.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 February 2016 - 11:56 PM.

#33 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

View PostNauht, on 13 February 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Marauders, Black Knights, and other Heavies such as the Jagers were already more frequently seen before this range quirk nerf, which affects some of the variants of the Thunderbolt and the Quickdraw. In short, the Heavy class variety was already there. Now this incoming nerf might mean that Thunderbolts and Quickdraws will appear far less in CW matches, meaning that we just traded Thunderbolts and Quickdraws with Jagers and Marauders. Basically, diversity is not benefiting from it.

Edited by El Bandito, 14 February 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#34 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:10 AM

View PostUltimax, on 13 February 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

Sorry Thunderbolts are no longer going to get good quirks, because most people have now bought them.

Welcome to sales driven balance decisions.

Sure, why not? Buffing encourages people to spend cbills and mc. Then you drop dial it back when sales slow while making something else people must have. Rinse and repeat.

Granted, I bought urbies for the luls, but most people won't spend their money on stuff that blows.

#35 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:20 AM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 13 February 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

As a brawler mech chasis it has less structure quirks than all the newer heavy mechs which are geared for long range - i.e. Marauder, Warhammer, and Rifleman. The hero variant Top Dawg will be receiving a -15% range nerf with zero buffs to compensate.

PGI please keep keep the Thunderbolt relevant. Give it some CT structure.

The funny thing is, with the exception of the TDR-5SS which got significant enough nerfs to not make it the go-to laser vomit IS mech anymore, the rest of the TDRs weren't affected too much by the last balance pass.

The problem is this last balance pass just pushed many IS mechs WAY ahead of the TDR.

So no, I don't think TDRs need be buffed. I think it's ridiculous that the power creep has gotten so bad that we'd even have a discussion about buffing TDRs. I'd much prefer it if PGI would just scrap the quirk system and just balance the freaking weapons already.

#36 Prokust

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 97 posts
  • Locationin a tiny space

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:20 AM

Jenners first!

#37 Mech Jager

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

I've been running my wubbolt with 2lplas and 3mplas mastered with modules and it still does well, but it is on my clan account so it is not part of my CW deck.

I do not think they will be hurt more in solo Q, and folks need to remember they wanted options instead of limited builds and this is how the 20-25% erllas became the option. I personally do not want to have schmucks standing at that distance getting good damage while others get sacrificed (clan or IS). The most fun is when the gaps are closed to within 600m and the snipers support the flank, by not only doing damage but by also acting like part of the force applying pressure (one more red square makes difference).

65 tonners do not seem to be the great front liners they used to be. It takes 10 more tons of armor, structure quirks and an XL friendly design to fit the firepower needed for a good all range competitive like the Marauder. Or if using an IS mech with a standard you need the extra armor just to get into range and still have a decent engine size.

Now if IS could use half weight srms life would be better for sub 70 tonners. Clan srm weight is the secret brawl sauce that takes the air out of IS short range dominance.

#38 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thunderbolt is one of the best heavy mechs in the game because of the quirks and it does have substantial ST quirks. It is also heavily used in dropdecks for a reason.

I love my Thunderbolts and would love some more love for them, but they really don't need it.

#39 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostAresye, on 14 February 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

The funny thing is, with the exception of the TDR-5SS which got significant enough nerfs to not make it the go-to laser vomit IS mech anymore, the rest of the TDRs weren't affected too much by the last balance pass.

The rest of the TDRs weren't very good or useful.

The 5S has not once been even remotely valuable even after quirks.

The 9S has been dead since the first time its -heat gen quirk was gutted.

The Top Dog is an almost ran, will no longer have anything going for it except providing higher match scores to the enemy team when they eat through its structure quirks. Even with the +25% range quirk it was savagely hot.

The 9SE hasn't changed much, but as much as some people like it - it's not really that strong, it was just the only one playing the triple large pulse until recently.

They weren't affected, because they aren't very good.

#40 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Its a pretty solid mech, Just needs to be shrunk to the size of a 65 ton instead of its current size of around 75-80 tons...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users