Academy Tutorial Needs Anti-Lrm Training.

gameplay

64 replies to this topic

#41 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

Blame Adams, he must not like all that slagging laid down about him in the forums - impugning his rep...

We'll have a little talk.

Update:
Everything still blows up good in the editor. BTW, on my map C3 is way off in the rural cul-de-sac. Trying stand-alone next

Stand-alone works fine as well... Adam's must have put something in to check for your specific userid.. :-)

Kidding aside - I'm not seeing this locally, but it is happening on live. Investigating.

Thanks for bringing this up.

#42 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 25 April 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

No, I mean I can't blow up the vehicles in there. Used to be, you shoot one and it blows up in a little poof of fire. They apparently had SOME health, as you could sometimes graze one with a low-damage weapon and NOT blow it up, but all of them IN the Academy (save a few that were already burned-out, like one or two in upper city) were destructible.

NOT the case now, at least not on my client. Dump anything from a Small Laser to AC/20 into one, and it brushes it off like nothin'.

Bye-bye, destructible vehicles. I hardly knew ya... Posted Image

***EDIT***

Doublechecked tonight, even taking out the UM-R60L with machineguns and small lasers an an ERPPC, and unloading on numerous vehicles of varying description (including the one I highly suspect is Captain Adams's anniversary gift mid-life-crisis sportscar). Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero effect on target. Haven't tried calling artillery/air strike on one yet, but I suspect that will also yield no impact. Now, damage decals DO show up (LIKE THEY DO ON THE FREAKING INVISIBLE WALLS THAT DON'T MATCH UP TO THE TEXTURES ON LIKE EVERY SINGLE BUILDING IN RIVER CITY, FOR CAPS LOCK'S SAKE!) on some vehicles, but they also decap (go away) after so long. Watched that. And by the way, one of the cars in a parking lot in upper city appears to have unk a half-foot into the pavement, right up to the tops of the rocker panels. That's 1920x1200 resolution, all settings VERY HIGH, damage glow off, VSync on. Y'know, in case it matters at all.

Specifically, the upper-city lot with the sunken car is in the back side of C3. And there's a side tunnel in D3, right in the dead center of the grid, with a little truck in front of it. I ALWAYS blow that up when I go by, so I know it USED to be destructible. Not now. :'(

That's odd.

#43 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

Found the issue, that object needed the new #define (from phase3) that would force it to run locally.

#44 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 26 April 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Found the issue, that object needed the new #define (from phase3) that would force it to run locally.

Any chance this slips into the 28-APR hotfix?

Also, nice to finally know Captain Adams's full name. Now I know what to write on his parking citation, when Deputy Dog goes live and I get a little nuts with the video...

#45 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Second rule of Frisbee...

#46 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 26 April 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Understood.

Looking forward to 'citing' Adams's parking job...

#47 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

View Posthappy mech, on 15 February 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

problem is that lrms track you even in cover (a bad mechanic)

Half right. LRMs track you as long as the LRM's user has a target lock on you. A mech retains a target lock behind cover for 1-3.5 seconds (depending on the presence of Target Decay or Advanced Target Decay). A lot of people mention Radar Deprivation, and this is why...once you get behind cover with Radar Dep, the missiles stop tracking you because the target lock is lost.

#48 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 26 April 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Well done sir. Confirmed destructible vehicles in the vicinity of the Citadel now. So. WHICH ONE do you think is Captain Adams's car? You know, the anniversary gift from Mrs. Adams (a civil service flight surgeon working at the nearby dropship pilots' course, earning over TWICE his salary). And what's the make? Is it something Porsche? Do they even HAVE Porsches a thousand years from now? What am I about to machinegun to death, ON VIDEO, to get back at him for his indestructible Atlas?

#49 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

I think his car is sitting in that other sim that he's playing while only half paying attention to the Academy... Posted Image

#50 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 29 April 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

I think his car is sitting in that other sim that he's playing while only half paying attention to the Academy... Posted Image

Academy IT/IS officer has all their computers imaged, and spies on their traffic with the cool admin tools. Adams must be paying them off. Wonder where he gets THAT kind of money....

#51 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

View Posthappy mech, on 15 February 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

problem is that lrms track you even in cover (a bad mechanic)

Out of curiosity. What do you propose for a better alternative to Indirect Fire Weapons if they can't hit anything?

#52 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

A few things to remember, some of the better LRM pilots know a few things, some call it being proficient with the weapons system, other call it cheating, hacking or ........

1. LRMs can curve around buildings and other objects. This really ticks off some people off to use LRMs in this manor. They were whining like babies in chat with LRM rage.Posted Image Teammates spectating normally comment in wonder of curving LRMs.

2. Just when you thought that you were safe from LRMs under cover: LRMs can be fired under the decks on crimson straits, center of HPG, under the deck in the volcano on Terra therma, in the cave on Frozen City, and a few other places I care not to disclose at this time. Also the center of Terra Therma allows for some interesting flight paths from the bottom out of the caldera or to hit people in on the deck.Posted Image

3. So you are standing by a building between me and you. That got changed so just be glad. We use to break lock, then reacquire the lock just so that the LRMs would drop almost straight down after 600 or 700 m. Have you ever seen LRMs go sideways. Well that is one part of the change now.Posted Image

So what ever is in the AI for this training, please do not include these exploits. They are not ready for it.

#53 Atomic Funk

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSacramento, Ca., USA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

Not sure I like being referred to a "CRUTCH" but whatever...As an exclusive ECM light pilot who actually prefers to hang with the team providing an umbrella, i'm beginning to feel a little unloved. In too many drops pilots don't call for ECM when they need it, or fail to call out their LRM status before the drop. I agree with the lack of evasive pilot skills, that too is essential. Even in some team drops, people forget that we are a weapon just like any other, but as pilots without outside direction, we are left to cover where we see the need. Use us, but don't abuse us.

#54 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostAtomic Funk, on 05 May 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Not sure I like being referred to a "CRUTCH" but whatever...As an exclusive ECM light pilot who actually prefers to hang with the team providing an umbrella, i'm beginning to feel a little unloved. In too many drops pilots don't call for ECM when they need it, or fail to call out their LRM status before the drop. I agree with the lack of evasive pilot skills, that too is essential. Even in some team drops, people forget that we are a weapon just like any other, but as pilots without outside direction, we are left to cover where we see the need. Use us, but don't abuse us.

I used to do a LOT of that ECM-cover light stuff. When they nerfed the ECM range to 90m, it took a lot of wind out of our sails there. Used to be, one ECM could cover a whole assault lance with ease, even when they're a little spread out on a firing line. Now, not so much. So I SALUTE you, if you're able to provide that service consistently and effectively. That takes a good bit more effort today--moving around, back and forth between mechs coming under LRM fire. As someone who doesn't always pilot small, maneuverable mechs any more, I can appreciate very well how valuable it is to have someone nearby keeping me under the umbrella. THANKS!

THAT said, and as you mentioned as well, the basic skills to avoid taking significant LRM damage, and to mitigate its effectiveness when you do take it, are essential. Building asymmetric mechs and putting the shield side toward enemy LRM fire? Works. I've more than proven that in my CN9s and WLFs (either chassis I run with a dead/stripped left arm, which is the default shielding side, and which disappears pretty quickly once the fur starts flying). But being able to use cover to break lock, recognizing when not to panic about that INCOMING MISSILES warning, and staying out of LRM-vulnerable positions, makes your job easier in turn, as it means fewer friendlies who need your services.

And the LRM is REAL right now. They're making a comeback of sorts. I've seen a LOT of missiles lately, and it has me considering putting together some LRM mechs. I've seen a surge in LRM Storm Crows even, and THAT is CRAY-CRAY!

LRMs are unique in that they are non-line-of-sight weapons for the firers. They're in the minority in doing almost randomly-placed sandblast damage (along with SRMs and LB-X autocannons), and in that they use a lock-on firing mechanic (like Streaks). And that they can ALSO be fired dumb with LoS makes them unique from Streaks in that way.

Also, LOVE the signature image!

#55 Atomic Funk

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSacramento, Ca., USA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Thank you SisterRabbi, see you on the fields.

#56 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 24 March 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Adams was going to end up as a trope one way or another - he's supposed to echo characters from previous games.

Now that I know what a POG is, yeah he's definitely that - and has his hand on all the simulation settings to boot - can make anyone's life hell just by moving a finger and twirling a dial.

Care to learn a bit more about how CPT Adams became CPT Adams? Me too. So I'm just making it up as I go...

You've created a monster, Mister Forsey. Well done! :)

#57 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:24 AM

So...I was sure that i was not the only one to want to shoot up a little at Cpt Adams.

I sort of need LRM boats since 80% of what I do with my Kit Fox is defend against them.

I have three AMS, three Tons of AMS ammo, the AMS Overload Module, and ECM.

I'm thinking about the AMS range module but is 2% worth it?

#58 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 11 June 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

So...I was sure that i was not the only one to want to shoot up a little at Cpt Adams.

I sort of need LRM boats since 80% of what I do with my Kit Fox is defend against them.

I have three AMS, three Tons of AMS ammo, the AMS Overload Module, and ECM.

I'm thinking about the AMS range module but is 2% worth it?

I'm not entirely sure if it is or not. I've never used either module (though I have at least one of them unlocked). Don't own a KFX, and only own one NVA. Dual-AMS is as much as I've ever carried (CPLT-J, BLR-2C). Now, extending the range in general isn't a bad idea. The number of missiles an AMS can shoot down is a function of time. It takes X seconds per missile to shoot them down. If the missiles' velocity is fixed, then the greater range means more time with AMS firing at them, means more damage done to missiles incoming. If that range is ENOUGH to make a difference, is a great question. Of course, with THREE AMS, I'd imagine even 2% can make a difference...

But I don't know, and you might do well to check it in the Academy's Battle Zone.

#59 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 10 June 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

Care to learn a bit more about how CPT Adams became CPT Adams? Me too. So I'm just making it up as I go... You've created a monster, Mister Forsey. Well done! :)

Nice! Well done!

#60 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 16 February 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

Radar Dep would be useless anyhow if they stand in the rain.

Natural cover is USUALLY around, even on Polar. Been rolling in my Banshee on Polar and never really felt out in the open. Dont walk on the ridge-lines, dont walk on the high ground.

AMS is not a fail safe. AMS would be great if people used single LRM10-15 as backup weapons.

But they dont, they boat LRMs in 40-80 groups.

And asking 'if only the team would each equip an AMS' shows ignorance of how Solo (doesnt)works, hence even less utility from it.

The best solution, is proper training on using piloting to negate locks, hence nullifying LRMs and making the pilot a better player in general.

It wouldhelp if we knew which way to go. As a noob once the incoming missle goes off I have no idea which way to turn to get to cover. You need to be able to operate solo as well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users