- - - - -

Favorite Brawl Build?

24 replies to this topic

#1 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:48 AM

Noob here, with about a week's experience and so, so many deaths. I've mostly been driving medium laser boats so far, but I'd like to mix things up.

My question is what your favorite brawl build is. Medium? Heavy? Lasers, SRMs, or dakka? From my days with Battletech I have a lot of (irrational?) affection for SRMs, but my sense is they're pretty weak in MWO, and so far the trial mechs haven't given me much of a chance to try them out.

Thanks!

#2 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

SRMs were actually buffed not that long ago, they're much faster and can dish out quite a lot of firepower on bursts. SRMs are a good brawling weapon.

Which mechs do you own already? If your medium laser boat is a stormcrow then that can be converted into a pretty scary SRM boat as well. :D

#3 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostZoeff, on 15 February 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

Which mechs do you own already? If your medium laser boat is a stormcrow then that can be converted into a pretty scary SRM boat as well. Posted Image
Blackjack -1, -1X, and -3. (I decided to master the chassis without fully understanding what that meant.)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

my favorate brawl build is the GRF-3M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...62e36feb2a8652d
fire then twist right, sacrificing your left arm and torso, you can outbrawl almost anything, you could put in a larger XL engine if you want more speed.

the Mech comes with an XL275 but you do not realy want an XL on that as a brawler.

you can alpha strike or chain fire the SRMs I prefer chainfire and it tends to do higher damage as your missiles fire with less spread and you can get hitreg issues with a lot of missiles in the air at once.

SRMs are not week, it is just that firing a lot at once they spread, and the engine has trouble keeping track of a lot of missiles in a small area so if you fire 20 missiles some will miss and the game may "loose" a few, fire 8 or less at a time and you do not have those problems

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 15 February 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#5 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostTacoJ, on 15 February 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Blackjack -1, -1X, and -3. (I decided to master the chassis without fully understanding what that meant.)

Mastering is a good thing, means you can get the most out of your mech. Before the nerf late last year it was almost a must but now it's merely a good thing to have. Basically, the mech performs a bit better in every aspect.

Regarding blackjacks and brawling... I wouldn't really recommend it especially for a new player. Right now it's probably one of the best mechs in the game, at least in it's weight class certainly. However in exactly 24 hours it's going to be nerfed so perhaps it's time to move on to another mech. I would recommend the stormcrow, it'll be pricy to buy 3 variants but well worth it, and it'll give you the ability to play with the weapons and equipment of the otherside of the major conflict, the clans. Posted Image

#6 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

I've been in love with thunderbolt brawlers since they first appeared. With or without quirks they are really tough (good hit boxes for standard engines), and carry lots of weapons.

My personal favorite is this TDR-5S. You can drop the LPL to a regular LL and add 2x DHS for better heat efficiency if that's your thing, but I've quite enjoyed this setup. The other variants are equally fun, and all are good brawlers.

#7 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Lasers and SRM's are a mean brawler combo.

#8 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

For Brawling, I looooooooooooooove running dual AC20 KGC, with a couple medium lasers. Nothing will eat through a mech, no matter how big, faster than a couple AC20's. Or if you want a little more range, quad UAC5 KGC, can put out as much, if not more damage than the ac20 with longer range and less heat.

For something thats not a KGC, the Highlander is a good brawling mech too. AC10 or gauss in one arm, lasers of your choice in the other arm, and the SRM's in the chest. It can pack a hell of a punch.

Atlas can also be a pretty damn painful brawler to deal with too. AC20 in the chest, 2 srm6's in the other chest, and medium or large pulse lasers in the arms.

Warhawk and Direwhalewolf can also be good brawlers if fit with UAC20's and large lasers. or just lots of lasers. pretty much anything but missiles are great on these two mechs.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

BLR-2C, 5x MPL, 2x ASRM-6, 2x AMS (can ditch one and some ammo for another DHS). Pretty wicked alpha, over half of which is pinpoint and low-duration. And the -2C has those cool structure quirks so it can last longer.

AS7-S, AC/20, 4x ASRM-6. NASTY.

TBR-C, 4x SRM-6, 5x ERML (or SPL). Fuuuuuu...

WHM-7S, 3x SRM-6, 5x MPL. Who needs left arms anyway?

Wouldn't go lighter than the HBK-4SP. But that little guy CAN be a brute.

Brawling in MWO is about SRMs and SPL/MPL right now. Fine by me!

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

From Locust to Daishi, from Missiles, Ballistics, Lasers and yea even unto the Flamer, I have brawled. My most favouritest, very favourite build would be the twelve er small laser Blackhawk, or as you may know it, the Nova. Either loading three ams, four machine guns, or an srm launcher. Mediums are a great place for brawling. From the classic HBK-4J lrm brawler, to the down geared shadowhawk dual uac5 I think I brawl with my mediums the most.

Sometimes, some days, I'll wanna go faster, and there are plenty of brawly vicious lights, and though I love the locusts most, I would say the Firestarter is scarier, and brawlier. Again, I look to lasers here, though of my locusts, my srm build is the most fun.

Other days, I want to stroll through the battlefield, an unstoppable brute taking at least one other mech with me. Those days I'll take a ballistic heavy assault. For this, I love my ac5s, and amongst my mechs the BNC-3E is undisputed brawling king. But, that is not to say there are not other ways. I beleive the Highlander, dual uac5's chainfired srm 6s an a pair of pulse lasers has also wrecked great havoc.

Oh, and in a pinch if I'm playing CW, you can brawl it up with heavies. Umm, Cataphract's done right by me so far. Sorry for waxing poetical an gettin' all long winded. Brawling is near an dear to my heart.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 15 February 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#11 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

srms and autocannons work in the brawls,ac20 or 10 + srms

save the lasers for backup and do not use them in close contact at all.

best mech to learn brawling and torso twisting is centurion in my opinion.

#12 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

If you want to try something a little different but still fun (to me, at least) you could try out my cataphract 2x build.

I run with an AC20, 2 SRM4s, 3 MLs a STD 290 (I think that is the right engine but I am not in front of my computer to check) 3 tons ammo for the SRMs and 3 tons for the AC. as many DHS as I could squeeze in.

It has decent speed, reasonable toughness, accetable power and does not run too hot. Fun to play

I also run a 2x with 1 AC20, 1LL, 2ML, 2 SSRM2s . yes, that is a weird set up and about as eclectic as you will find but it is more effective than you might think. You have the LL to do some damage at range (in your arm) 2 ML in the torso to sustain damage with reasonable heat, the AC for a nice punch, and the streaks to help with lights that pester you and to add a little more damage when possible. I know that it is far from an optimal build, but it feels like a loadout you might actually find in TT, and sometimes I get nostalgic for TT for a drop or 3.

Try it out, it is quite fun

#13 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4165841c2a59e41

Put up 1075 dmg with it yesterday (we still lost).

Edited to add: The details aren't totally right on it. I only have 4 SPL's on it instead of the 5 shown here (helps with the heat a bit), added a heat sink, and the armor is definitely not distributed correctly. I front-load armor heavily, only running 4 - 6 on the back.

Edited by Khereg, 16 February 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostKhereg, on 16 February 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

That IS one of the most brutal brawling builds in the game. And remember (all you who have yet to try it, I mean) that it goes 81.0 km/h before Speed Tweak, has jump jets, and has some pretty sweet hit boxes. It's a freakin' MONSTER.

#15 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostKhereg, on 16 February 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Edited to add: The details aren't totally right on it. I only have 4 SPL's on it instead of the 5 shown here (helps with the heat a bit), added a heat sink, and the armor is definitely not distributed correctly. I front-load armor heavily, only running 4 - 6 on the back.

Cant wait to re-explore builds like this post patch

#16 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Here's another. Not a classic brawler, more of an ambush predator:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3ab5cc117d6e02

I just missed an Ace of Spades in this a few days ago when a teammate killed the last guy literally a second before I was ready to pull the trigger.

Making this build effective requires a certain playstyle, however. Rush in and start shooting blindly and you'll be dead in less than 10 seconds, either from overheating, or shutting down in front of your opponent. This thing is very unforgiving if you make a mistake in heat management.

Edited by Khereg, 16 February 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#17 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostKhereg, on 16 February 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

Here's another. Not a classic brawler, more of an ambush predator:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f1c7d9c79fc3dc0

I just missed an Ace of Spades in this a few days ago when a teammate killed the last guy literally a second before I was ready to pull the trigger.

Making this build effective requires a certain playstyle, however. Rush in and start shooting blindly and you'll be dead in less than 10 seconds, either from overheating, or shutting down in front of your opponent. This thing is very unforgiving if you make a mistake in heat management.

And we can get away with those now, with the negaquirks gone! OH HAPPY DAY!

#18 PigsinBlankets

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:06 AM

For learning to Brawl I don't think you can beat the Centurion CN9 -AH, fit it with an AC20 and 2x SRM4, you're ammo dependant , but you get that great shield arm. Learn to Torso twist and you'll survive a reasonable amount of time even under fire.

But the trick with the CN9-AH is not to get shot at in the first place, that means having patience, staying with your lance mates and letting the Atlas do the tanking while you hang in its shadow or off to the side blowing mechs to pieces with the AC20 , or an alpha, by the time the pilot realises where the damage is coming from they are often as good as dead already.

The Hunchback is also a great brawler and so is the Griffin, but I love my Cent.

#19 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:06 AM

View PostTacoJ, on 15 February 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Here's my recommendation for the BJ-1X. This will eat any mech for lunch, and make their parents weep.

6 MLs, 2 MPLs. Keep the MPLs in the torsos. I called it Boxer, when I had it, and it scared everything.

my favorite brawling build is my Juggernaut AS-7S
Juggernaut

Deletes one mech at a time at 270 meters.

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostAsrael999, on 17 February 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

For learning to Brawl I don't think you can beat the Centurion CN9 -AH, fit it with an AC20 and 2x SRM4, you're ammo dependant , but you get that great shield arm. Learn to Torso twist and you'll survive a reasonable amount of time even under fire.

But the trick with the CN9-AH is not to get shot at in the first place, that means having patience, staying with your lance mates and letting the Atlas do the tanking while you hang in its shadow or off to the side blowing mechs to pieces with the AC20 , or an alpha, by the time the pilot realises where the damage is coming from they are often as good as dead already.

The Hunchback is also a great brawler and so is the Griffin, but I love my Cent.

Torso twisting for damage spreading, and use of a dead side for shielding? These things probably wouldn't have developed NEARLY as well, if not for that the CN9 chassis all but requires them and has been in the game for a LONG time. It was THE first medium brawler, and it's always been really good at it.

Usual first-mech recommendation is the HBK, of course. But if someone specifically wants to learn to brawl, and brawl WELL, CN9 is the go-to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users