• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hello everyone.

Newbie question.

I bought the Raven 3L. Have run it a bit and I am ready to start tweaking the build.
I thought I had my tweaks figured out at Murphys.
Problem; My first move was to upgrade the heatsinks to doubles. But the in-game mech-lab says I don't have enough slots. But in Murph's lab that was my first move.

What am I not seeing as a newbie?

Thanks everyone.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

Strip everything out of the mech first, then upgrade to DHS.

DHS are physically larger (3 slots vs. 1) so it may be a slot requirement issue, this fixes it.

And you DO want to upgrade to DHS. You *ALWAYS* want to upgrade to DHS, first.

SHS are extremely bad.

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Yup! Strip at LEAST all the singles out of it before swapping to doubles. P.S.- You'll have to buy new double heat sinks for any OUTSIDE the engine's built-in capacity.

Example: stock powerplant on the -3L is XL210. 210 / 25 = 8.4. So, it'll have EIGHT built-in heat sinks, which are converted as part of that 1,500,000 CB you paid. You'll still need at LEAST 2 more for a valid loadout, so you'll have to BUY those in addition to the price of the modification. But they're cheap.

And to answer your next question, NO, the DHS upgrade is NOT carried with the engine, but with the MECH. So if you yank that XL210 out and stick it in a RVN-4X, which currently has SINGLE heat sinks, the engine converts for FREE.

Though that's one of the few engines I'd advise you to SELL ASAP. You'll want a 280 or 295 for the -3L, 280 for Huginn, and 275 for -2X/4X.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

View Postsam wesson, on 15 February 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Hello everyone.

Newbie question.

I bought the Raven 3L. Have run it a bit and I am ready to start tweaking the build.
I thought I had my tweaks figured out at Murphys.
Problem; My first move was to upgrade the heatsinks to doubles. But the in-game mech-lab says I don't have enough slots. But in Murph's lab that was my first move.

What am I not seeing as a newbie?

Thanks everyone.

Smurfy automatically removes all physically added heatsinks when you make the upgrade. This makes the space you need because you add what you want back in.
MWO keeps them in, but changes them over. So if it had 13 heatsinks to start with, it'll have 13 double heatsinks... and that can be a big difference in space consumed.

The two mechlabs are not completely identical in how they handle 'upgrades'.

Remove all heatsinks first, then make the upgrade.
Also on the right side, try the view "Layout". Lets you see it all at once.

Edited by Koniving, 15 February 2016 - 02:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users