just wondering

13 replies to this topic

#1 KeifferTron3000

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

ok i have been thinking about this for while, is there a story for this game? from what i see no ones talkin about one so can someone clarify for me please? thanks :P

#2 Fecal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

... that is something I've been wondering as well. Is this game going to be purely firefights between player-controlled squads or will there be any mission elements to it?

#3 KeifferTron3000

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

i have been wondering the same thing comrade. either way its going to be a great game but a story would make it better. what do you think?

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Story is 5 houses are constantly battling with the aid of paid mercenaries. Each House lord wants to become the First Lord of a re-established Star League, Which is a alliance of all Houses and periphery nations. It was once established for over a century and was considered a golden age, but crumbled in 2779 after a coup of the First Lord and a ten year battle to retake Terra and the systems around it from the Usurper Stefan Amaris.

It is now 3049, and the 5 House Lords have fought 4 Succesion Wars, decade long wars that spanned the borders of each House, the last one which ended only a few decades ago. You are either a Lonewolf going it on your own in a passed down BattleMech, a member of a Mercenary Unit fighting the battles in place of the various House Armies for a glorious amount of C-Bills(the currency of the Stars) Or a member of one of the House Armies, supplied by your Lord to fight where he wants you too.

Welcome to the year 3049. The universe of BattleTech awaits, what will you choose?

Edited by CoffiNail, 07 March 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#5 KeifferTron3000

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

thank you! ;) i thought it would have taken place later,

#6 SeDevri

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

...um ok let me refer you to some books that you should read. The Warrior Trilogy and the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, both by Michael A. Stackpole. All great books in their own right but more importantly, they give you some of the best background to the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe.

try picking them up at the site www.abebooks.com

#7 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostSeDevri, on 07 March 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

...um ok let me refer you to some books that you should read. The Warrior Trilogy and the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, both by Michael A. Stackpole. All great books in their own right but more importantly, they give you some of the best background to the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe.

try picking them up at the site www.abebooks.com

I totally agree, but I must point out that Stackpole did a great job villanizing the CapCon. We're not that bad. Just keep an open mind.

#8 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Just wondering... since the Battletech history is pretty easy to find online... and an effort was not even seemingly made to find those basics on say .... a Google search. What makes you think someone is going to go out and buy the books if looking it up online was too much effort?

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Why I tossed it in a nutshell

#10 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 07 March 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Why I tossed it in a nutshell

CoffiNail, you did some it up very well I like it, we need to write the... "The *****'s Guide to Battletech History" we can put that in a comic bubble, from a character that looks like the guy from "Where's Waldo" in a cooling vest, nerurohelment , and a Fedcom Badge on his chest.

;)

#11 KeifferTron3000

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

it never really occured to even look it up online

#12 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Almost a full first page and no one mentioned sarna yet?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere

#13 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostExilyth, on 08 March 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Almost a full first page and no one mentioned sarna yet?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere

Well, no, seeing as how Sarna is a great reference source on the history timeline of BattleTech, its Houses, different units, individual BattleMechs, Aerofighters, the Clans, noteable individuals et cetera, but it does not answer the original posters question about a story this particular game (MWOMercs) might take (like MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries' story was about the lead-up to the Clan Invasion and through until the Smoke Jaguar attack of Luthien.)
If I had to venture a guess, I would say that (MWOMercs) would be along those same lines, in terms of story, starting, obviously, from 3049 up until, say, the Jihad (here is hoping the game lasts that long, if true, since it will be based on a Real-Time perspective.)

Edited by Tifalia, 12 March 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#14 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

With the talk about role warfare and the intensity of the members for their various nations, I think we are going to see a game that lets the fractious nature of the IS develop to its greatest possible level before the clans make their entrance. For some reason, I get the feeling that we will see the 12v12 battles fit into an overall strategy for each house with objectives to be accomplished taking prescedence over kill scores. It is this hope that attracts me to this game (that and the fact that it is the first new BT/MW product in a long time). Once the clans enter , it would not surprise me if many ot our number who now bemoan the absence of the invaders in the current game do not find it hard to make the jump to the clans after having fought so hard to build the houses of which they are a members.

As far as a story goes, check out the INS feeds. There is not one story deveoping but several.story arcs,which will , I'm sure, involve every nation and in some cases even the individual regions of a nation. It would be great if one of you computer savvy fellows was to pull all the INS reports into a single web site so they could be analyzed for clues as to where we are being led -and I'm sure we are being led SOMEWHERE. And I can't wait to get there!

Edited by Seabear, 15 March 2012 - 10:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users