Making A Droplist, Starting With Iic

14 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:46 AM

I got me the origins pack (Jenner 35t, Hunchback 50t, Orion 75t, Highlander 90t IICs) with 250 tonns all in all, also one KitFox 30t. Now I want to prepare for CW and am hesitant abouth that list. The Jenner aside all those mechs seem way too slow for me, I also got 10 wasted tons.
Sooo... which mech should I get? I think something with decent energy hardpoints, not too low mounted, SOME speed (like 80 perhaps?) would be nice.
I am thinking about the Kodiak replacing the Highlander on the long run (he got like more of EVERYthing), but I also like the Timber Wolf (fluff wise).
Then there's also the possibility to pack bigger engines into the mechs, but that will not make sprinters out of them.

Am I overrating speed? Am I underrating missiles for CW? Does it even make sense to take a Jenner to a CW?

Thanks for every tip!

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostDoctor Dinosaur, on 16 February 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

I got me the origins pack (Jenner 35t, Hunchback 50t, Orion 75t, Highlander 90t IICs) with 250 tonns all in all, also one KitFox 30t. Now I want to prepare for CW and am hesitant abouth that list. The Jenner aside all those mechs seem way too slow for me, I also got 10 wasted tons.
Sooo... which mech should I get? I think something with decent energy hardpoints, not too low mounted, SOME speed (like 80 perhaps?) would be nice.
I am thinking about the Kodiak replacing the Highlander on the long run (he got like more of EVERYthing), but I also like the Timber Wolf (fluff wise).
Then there's also the possibility to pack bigger engines into the mechs, but that will not make sprinters out of them.

Am I overrating speed? Am I underrating missiles for CW? Does it even make sense to take a Jenner to a CW?

Thanks for every tip!

have you upgraded the engines on the IIC Mechs?
With the exception of the Highlander all those Mechs can do 80+ with max engine and speed tweak, the Hunchback can do 95.8 with speed tweak 89.1 before , the Orion with a 360 engine does 83.6 after speed tweak, 78 before.

if you want to use the Kodiak and Timber Wolf the Hunchback and Jenner would make a 260 ton dropdeck, but bear in mind dropdeck weight is subject to change, also the Kodiak Hero Spirit Bear will be able to do 80+ in short bursts thanks to its MASC, the Spirit Bear should essentially be an Atlas AS7-S capable of doing 80+kph in short bursts.

LRMs are only really good on a few Maps for CW, most of the CW maps have too much cover for LRMs to be realy effective, however SRMs can do great on most maps

I do not think you are over rating speed, different players have different priorities, one of mine is speed.

the Jenner IIC works well in a CW dropdeck, it is in my default Clan Deck I used to take the Kit Fox with 3 AMS and ECM because there was no fast Light available, then the ACH came out and replaced my Kit Fox, the Jenner IIC has now replaced the ACH, yes the ACH is more durable and can take ECM but the Jenner is faster, more agile and much more heavily armed.

I have about 10 Clan Mechs setup for CW (and something like 15 IS Mechs), I change the Decks composition based upon the teams tactics and map, however I do have a base deck which I leave setup, for Clans that is 1 Timber Wolf, 1 Ebon Jag, 1 Helbringer and 1 Jenner IIC. I do not use my full tonage because that would force me to ether take an assualt (I much prefer piloting 75kph+ Mechs and the only current fast Clan assault does not have enough tonnage for weapons) or forgo the Light Mech. I prefer piloting Lights so I will always take one just to have a bit of high speed and confusion to the enemies fun, when we get a Wolfpack going 3 Lights can take out way more than there tonnage, (I had a match on Friday where on counter attack our 4 Lights rushed the enemy and got behind their lines before they were formed up, we traded 4 Lights for Omega and 7 Mechs, needless to say we won that match).

#3 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

I'd suggest you to buy Timber Wolves. The best mechs in the Origins pack are the Jenner and the Hunchback, which are very decent compared to other clan lights and mediums, while Orion and Highlander are pretty bad.

With Timber Wolves you can do either 2x TBR + 2x Hunchback or 3x TBR + Jenner, both of which are strong drop decks.

Timber Wolf is a fast, very durable heavy mech with omnipods that allow pretty much anything you could want, save for pure dakka builds, you just can't go wrong buying that. They're also losing their negative quirks in tonight's patch IIRC, making a strong mech even a bit better.

In your case it's also a good buy because your heavier mechs aren't top tier, and TBR weighing 75 tons brings you nice bulk to your dropdeck without compromising the mobility.

#4 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:51 AM

So it's either save up for engines or save up for several (expensive) Timber wolves.
I'm not a fan of bigger (XL) engines on heavies and assaults, makes them too squishy, or is that a misperception?

I guess TBR it is then :)

#5 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostDoctor Dinosaur, on 16 February 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

So it's either save up for engines or save up for several (expensive) Timber wolves.
I'm not a fan of bigger (XL) engines on heavies and assaults, makes them too squishy, or is that a misperception?

I guess TBR it is then Posted Image

Clan XLs only blow up when you lose both side torsos (unlike IS XLs that blow up if you lose either of your STs), in which case you would only have CT left. If you lose both your side torsos, you have also lost practically all of your weapons as well, so the weight saving/speed boost is almost always worth it. I wouldn't run any clan mech on a STD engine.

Anyway, no matter how much money you'd pour into the Orion and Highlander, TBRs would still be a better choice than them, in all game modes.

Omnimechs like TBR are actually in fact quite cheap to operate in contrast to their high initial cost, since you can't change their engines or armor/structure upgrades. You just buy the new weapons you need and some extra omnipods, that only cost something like 300k each and they'll stay permamently in your inventory, so you can mix and match pods you own between different variants for no extra costs.

Edited by Kyynele, 16 February 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#6 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

I own the Jenner and Huncchback IICs. Not played a lot of Jenner but you do not want help there. With the Hunchbacks, I would consider only the A variant useful in CW, I have used it myself, you just have to know how and have a good build. I did a topic here about all 4 Hunchbacks.

Usually Clans in CW do not bring Assaults due to all Heavies having better speed than IS and still having good firepower and armor loadouts. You can do drop decks with 3 Heavies and a Light or 2 Heavies and 2 Mediums. Putting an Assault in will restrict your other 4 choices.

Kit Fox is fun and doable though not the best for CW. Since you have 1, you really should get 2 more for Mastery, I have 4 myself.

In the Heavy area, best choices are Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar and Timber Wolf, Mediums usually Stormcrow is suggested. I would also say if you are willing to spend the cash, getting Wave 3 at least to Ebon level gives you 3 Ebons to use plus 3 Cheetahs, considered a solid Clan Light, probably the current goto for serious play. Shadow Cats are more like Heavy Scouts and you can learn MASC with them. The Assault Executioner is fun and at times good but you do not need it.

I have no clue how the Kodiak will be for CW since it is still not out yet.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

Speed?

Okay, some of my best recent performances have been in the HBK-IIC-A. Max engine on those is, I think, 275. A Clan XL 275 is a bit pricey, but WORTH it. And if you're looking to pack some heat in the JR7-IICs, it's also viable there. So BONUS!

What can you fit in a HBK-IIC-A with that XL 275? Hmm... Well, there's THAT idea. You can also sacrifice a DHS (or two JJs) and swap the ERSLs for SPLs. The key is to have at least ONE in that LT, so that it invokes somewhat of a hump there. If you lose that LT, you lost a single small (ER or Pulse) laser. Meh. But that side torso did its job by catching bullets. Protect the hump. And at 89.1 km/h BEFORE Speed Tweak, that's not exactly slow. Faster than a Nova, anyhow, and faster than most Blackjacks (save the infamous BJ-1X). You can just ditch a couple JJs for another DHS, too, if it's too toasty for ya (though it shouldn't be). The dual LPL in a HIGH torso mount are meta enough for a fairly mobile medium, and the smalls are fine for up-close-and-personal encounters with enemy lights, or just E-brawling (in which case I highly recommend the SPLs). Another take on it ditches those weapons for at least THREE (3) Clan ERLLs, all in the high mounts, but can keep the quick XL 275. OR even ditch the 275 for a Clan XL 250, which is still as quick as a Nova. Full-on medium sniper meta INCOMING. Have fun with that, but don't dare ALPHA with it. Anyhow, PLENTY viable for a 50-ton slot in your drop deck (at least until the Nova gets resized). Hillhumping sniper, or mid-range, it's a pretty decent mech despite the squishy side torso components.

I didn't bother with the heavier IICs, and I'm not a big fan of the IIC Jenners. I guess you've got Son Of Oxide there, courtesy of the Clans. I'd just as soon save 5 tons and take an Arctic Cheetah, though, and get ECM along with good speed and semi-cheat-y hitboxes and high torso mounts and basically a better light for everything but brawling. Couldn't tell you, except to say that I don't see a LOT of them in CW. ACH is still the better light for a CW deck, but hey, run what you brung.

Most important thing of all, though, is run the mechs you're comfortable with. Don't go buying something you hate, because it's 'META A. F.' according to Dr. I. B. Tryhard, PhD/BS. Clan mechs that work great in CW? SCR, TBR, EBJ, and HBR. ACH if you need a light. WHK for the fire-support assault, if you must, but you're often better off building your fire support on one of those heavies and saving 10-20 tons.

#8 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:46 AM

I bring both the Jenner IIC(O) & Hunchback IIC(O) to CW and often get 800-1000 damage apiece.
The Jenner runs srms really well and i simply hit and fade away (and prefer its firepower over the ACH) and the Hunch is dual Ultra AC10, which have decent range and with JJ i can peek, shoot and get cover whilst keeping my somewhat fragile mech relatively safe.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 19 February 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

I bring both the Jenner IIC(O) & Hunchback IIC(O) to CW and often get 800-1000 damage apiece.
The Jenner runs srms really well and i simply hit and fade away (and prefer its firepower over the ACH) and the Hunch is dual Ultra AC10, which have decent range and with JJ i can peek, shoot and get cover whilst keeping my somewhat fragile mech relatively safe.

I dunno about you, but I like to run that HBK-IIC(O) asymm., with both the UAC/10s on one side. Just fir kicks, though, toss a MG (no ammo, just the MG) in the opposite side to invoke the BIG hump, which helps with damage spreading (AWAY from the important side hump). Second/lower mount is still decent, barrels are close enough that there's no real convergence issue, and it can peek some really tight spots with BOTH guns for max burst fun adventure!

Couldn't live without the JJs in the HBK-IICs, though. Except maybe the IIC-B, which I just can't seem to do anything with at all. I'd honestly prefer the IS HBK-4J, lose the JJs, but gain those SWEET LRM-10 quirks.

#10 LeeNTien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 126 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

HBK-IIB is a mean SRM boat, With plenty of space and tonnage for lots of ammo, JJs, and the top-engine to boot. Flanking galore.
A bit of a glass cannon, but still, a solid flanker for a 50-tonner, in my experience.

Edited by LeeNTien, 19 February 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostLeeNTien, on 19 February 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

HBK-IIB is a mean SRM boat, With plenty of space and tonnage for lots of ammo, JJs, and the top-engine to boot. Flanking galore.
A bit of a glass cannon, but still, a solid flanker for a 50-tonner, in my experience.

Too much glass, not enough cannon. Hunches are freakin' ENORMOUS on that thing, and from all angles. Worst single mech KDR of any mech I've gotten a single kill with since last stat wipe. Tried 4x ASRM-6, 2x ERML. Does enough damage for a 50-to ner while it's up, but can't avoid sucking up AC rounds from the next planet over. :-/ I WANT to like it.

LOVE the other two, anyhow, even if they are stepchildren.

#12 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hunchback IIC B is the trickiest one of the 4 using SRMs. Deals great damage when it hits but you need to be near cover to duck behind for cooling. Alpha, duck, cool, repeat. Never run off alone in it. Hardest to ridge peek with due to short range.

#13 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostLeeNTien, on 19 February 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Jenner IIC does it better. 6X6, if you don't mind ghost heat. 2 splats and run. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've one-shot several mediums with this build.

#14 LeeNTien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 126 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

I found JR7-IIC only good with top engines. Otherwise they die almost as soon as anyone at least semi-competent sees them. And SRM6 without Artemis splatters missiles all over the place to be effective - at least in my newbish hands =__=
I do love it with 315XL and 4xSRM4 though.

#15 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostLeeNTien, on 21 February 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

I found JR7-IIC only good with top engines. Otherwise they die almost as soon as anyone at least semi-competent sees them. And SRM6 without Artemis splatters missiles all over the place to be effective - at least in my newbish hands =__=
I do love it with 315XL and 4xSRM4 though.

Yeah, the 6X6 is for if you've got seismic. You wait next to a corner and then jump out at someone like a hellish jack in the box, jam your 'Mech up against theirs like a creepy pervert, and blast them point blank. Most of your missiles will hit the same component, which means you can two-shot most guys unless they react very fast. Works even better if you can catch someone facing the wrong way. XL 255 gives you enough speed to get in and get out, but you should not duel with other lights since they'll be able to avoid the creeper jam maneuver or try to strafe through the entire enemy formation since that just spreads your damage and makes a bunch of people target you. You don't have the heat capacity to take on multiple 'Mechs back to back or simultaneously due to the ghost heat penalty.

Edited by Tim East, 21 February 2016 - 09:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users