If I Were To Purchase One Mech For Cw, What Would It Be?

116 replies to this topic

#21 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:45 PM

Urbanmech

#22 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 16 February 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

Urbanmech

Don't make us come down there.

#23 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:52 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 16 February 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

Don't make us come down there.

Posted Image

#24 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

As someone suggested, you might want to get a third Catapult just so you can elite your other two. It really makes a difference. Otherwise, the Black Knight is probably one of my best mechs in my drop deck.

#25 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the advice, folks!

I honestly don't see how eliting my Catapult would make a difference since the only two useful skills are overheat-related, and Catapults rarely hit their heat capacity. I mean, it's possible to OH, but it's not really a problem.

Jaggermech looks like fun for dakka builds, think I'll get one for quick play eventually. But the only variants I like on paper are 3xAC/5 JM6-S and 3xUAC/5 JM6-DD, and I doubt either is particularly good in CW. So I think I'll go with Stalker.

#26 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 17 February 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

I honestly don't see how eliting my Catapult would make a difference since the only two useful skills are overheat-related, and Catapults rarely hit their heat capacity. I mean, it's possible to OH, but it's not really a problem.

Jaggermech looks like fun for dakka builds, think I'll get one for quick play eventually. But the only variants I like on paper are 3xAC/5 JM6-S and 3xUAC/5 JM6-DD, and I doubt either is particularly good in CW. So I think I'll go with Stalker.

Canuck307, the leader of Luna Wolves, runs a 4 JM6-DD dropdeck. With that deck he's cleared a few 3000+ games, he is however, a very skilled and veteran player.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 17 February 2016 - 01:02 AM.

#27 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

I bet it's more about the pilot than the mech. A good pilot would know how to make any mech work. Whereas I'm looking for something newbie-friendly, the mech that would play itself :)

#28 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

The jm-DD has amazing dps, but its fragile and ammo dependent. For a new player keep the focus on mechs that are objectively good, not good in the right hands. Look at metamechs.com's tier lists for a good idea on this.

#29 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:04 AM

So... Stalker?

#30 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 17 February 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

Seriously? You should definitely get a third Catapult if you haven't got elite skills on the ones you already got. Allthough a bit obsoleted by the Jagermech two years ago it's still a pretty solid mech.

Why the hellbdon't you care about running faster, shooting faster and running cooler at all? What are you using so you're not able to OH your mechs?

#31 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

View PostAylek, on 17 February 2016 - 06:12 AM, said:

What are you using so you're not able to OH your mechs?

My main heavy hitter is CPLT-C4 with 4xLRM 10 on chain fire. Can overheat, but you need to keep firing non-stop for so long that it rarely happens.

I do care about shooting faster, but don't see any mech skill that lets me do that. You must be referring to weapon modules?

Edited by DavidStarr, 17 February 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#32 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

4x TDR is, as others have mentioned a solid option; TDRs have long been a mainstay until the tonnage increases have made bringing more heavy stuff properly viable.
GHRs are very good too, thanks to tight mounts (many of them high too), good quirks, JJs, and XL friendliness.
I don't have any BKTs, but I've seen many top tier players do frighteningly well in them; they come across as bigger, more heavily armed and armored GHRs, minus the JJs and high mounts.

JM-DD is an interesting option too and can be a very solid choice. Ammo dependence isn't that big a drawback IMO, unless you choose to not bring enough. Most Dakka builds, however, will often carry enough ammo to put out between 900 and 1500 points of damage by the time they run out (subject of course, to actually hitting what you're shooting at). In my experience, most of the time you won't last long enough to burn through that much ammo. If you do, eject and get the next of your remaining three such mechs. Rapid-fire ammo-based builds often have ludicrous DPS, both max and sustained, but they do tend to suffer in a poking match against laser boas, so you need to know how to pick your fights.

Honestly, I would recommend starting with TDRs as they use standard engines, making them cheaper to build, you can drop 4 of them, they're just good and reliable mechs, and go from there.

Edited by habu86, 17 February 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#33 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

I seriously dislike the trial 3xLPL TDR. Seems to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" mech. I don't want to invest time and C-bills into this line. Particularly, it dies too easily for a heavy, and DPS is not overwhelming.I have no doubt it's a good mech, since everyone and their mothers tell me so, but if I can't play it properly - what's the point of struggling?

Edited by DavidStarr, 17 February 2016 - 06:49 AM.

#34 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 17 February 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

I do care about shooting faster, but don't see any mech skill that lets me do that. You must be referring to weapon modules?

There is a Fast Fire skill in the Elite tree. Quirks and modules also come into this. Plus, you can "speed up" the chainfire by repeatedly clicking the fire button, which will trigger the next weapon in the chain, before the first weapon finishes firing, for more DPS, at the expense of higher heat generation.

Edited by habu86, 17 February 2016 - 06:53 AM.

#35 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

Totally forgot about the Fast Fire. Points taken.

#36 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:06 AM

Currently I'm running two main decks for IS - but I am usually mixing and matching from the following - Battlemasters, Thunderbolts, Quickdraws, and Blackjacks. That is mainly because I do not yet own the Grasshoppers and Black Knights.

The nice thing about the IS gear is there is a large selection of goto mechs for CW. Most of the gear can find a role and be made to work, and you can customize it nicely for each of the maps.

If I had to pick one that was not the Thunderbolts, I would then go with the Battlemasters. They are basically larger, slower Thunderbolts - similar high weapon mounts, tall and skinny as opposed to low and bird like. Thick - they can take a beating. Friendly for both XL and standard engine builds. I ran two Battlemasters and two Blackjacks for a long time with decent results. That combo still works.

But that's just me - personally I feel you should play to your own strengths in CW - you need fair speed to stay with your group - but you should also bring mechs that you know you can kill other mechs with.... especially in the many one on one encounters.

If you know you can play well with a particular chassis or style of play, you should consider staying with it. Familiarity can often outweigh many of the technical aspects. One of the best players in the game plays mostly Catapults - and he does very well in CW. Another plays only Blackjacks, and he had a match just shy of 5K a short while ago. I know a third player who does outrageously well in Panthers and Enforcers, of all things.

So I say, play to your own strengths first and foremost, and allow your game to progress naturally from there. Besides, your mech preferences will change over time as your skills improve.

#37 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

OP,

My view on CW (for what its worth) is that you should play what you want as long as it doesn't hinder the team. Thats it.

In re mech choice. I almost feel like its getting to the point that the specific mechs don't matter for most players. I mean if you are trying to be minimalist and have a deck consisting of only one or two mechs then, as others have expressed: yeah Thunderbolts are probably the best bet for most players. Along those same lines I would add Jaggers for when you need a bit of dakka and/or cooler running mehcs. You say you don't want a t-bolt though. If you are going minimalist it really ought to be one (or both) of those two. Quickdraw is always popular if you don't mind being under tonnage, but even there most people run them meta with XLs and that takes discipline.

In the end I think crustydog's comment above is how you should approach it. Don't limit yourself. Play what you feel good in. Look at his list of mechs that he runs or might run: Battlemasters, Thunderbolts, Quickdraws, and Blackjacks; as well as Grasshoppers and Black Knights. Lots to choose from.

IMHO at 260 tons and with the quirks what they are you can make darn near anything work atm.

Personally I build my decks to the maps and modes (e.g. cool running dakka for vitric and sulfur with a bit more range when on sulfur defense, etc.). Yet, despite all my effort of building and planning these decks, I rarely run them, as I usually volunteer to bring ECM if the drop commander wants it...and they always want it...and since no one else wants to bring Cataphracts, Griffins, or Cicadas it gets to be my job (though I do see other DDCs of late and the odd Raven and occasional Pirate's Bane here and there). Thus, my default deck is three 0xps and a 3M. Occasionally on attack I will run a DDC, 0xp, 2n, and 3L.

Most would agree none of these are top mechs, but they get the job done and if bringing them helps the team, that's what I will bring.

#38 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 16 February 2016 - 11:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

does this mean war?

View PostMech The Dane, on 17 February 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

Canuck307, the leader of Luna Wolves, runs a 4 JM6-DD dropdeck. With that deck he's cleared a few 3000+ games, he is however, a very skilled and veteran player.

i think im going to do that too Posted Image

and as for a mech OP, just go with the stalker. I bought a 5M a month ago and did 900dmg on the first try Posted Image And the others are good too, so go for it Posted Image

Edited by Windscape, 17 February 2016 - 02:12 PM.

#39 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

I'm thinking about STD LPL 5S. Expensive one, even with an STD engine! Need to scrap a bit more C-bills.

#40 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

the 4lpl 5S is a beast

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users