30 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

First I can understand the lack of talk about the Rifleman. It is underwhelming on the Black Knight initial release level. The Legend Killer camo is ridiculously bad, especially when compared to the concept art. And it will take millions of c-bills to make the mech marginally playable due to low ammo loads and not being XL friendly. Add in they made an iconic autocannon platform into a energy boat and viola, garbage.

But instead we talk about the IS energy nerf which struck mechs both big and small. Mechs that were a threat to almost no one but the afk received an across the board nerf because balancing is hard yo.

Now if this is some lame attempt to balance populations in CW, what the heck? CW is marginal in the populations that play it, and what PGI did will not create interest in the red headed step child play mode. So now PGI can shuttle the sub species of CW players from IS to Clan but in turn screw over anyone who pilots an IS mech in the majority population.

Does PGI even care anymore?

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

I wouldn't call the ROFLMAN any more "XL-unfriendly" than a Jager or Blackjack. When I see something labeled as not being "XL friendly" I think Stalker, Atlas, or Victor, and the ROFL is none of those in terms of hit-boxes and agility.

#3 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

#4 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

Run a few matchs with a stock 3N and a 'stock+' 3N. Solid performer (300-400 damage) as long as the Oxides can be kept away from my legs.

Stock 3N takes careful heat management; I only shut down twice fighting an Atlas due to forgetting how low the heatcap is with only 10 singles.

#5 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Awwww. Sounds like someone's upset they can't have their 911m effective range, sub-1s duration ERLL crutch anymore.

#6 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostAresye, on 16 February 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

Awwww. Sounds like someone's upset they can't have their 911m effective range, sub-1s duration ERLL crutch anymore.

Are you talking about Clan Pulse lasers?

Sorry, you obviously do not know who you are talking to if you meant that comment for me.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

I am stoked about the Rifleman... why?
I already own all the JagerMechs... still stoked. why?

I am easily amused, and I play video games for fun. Seriously.
Yup. Just wanted to buy something to support the game when I felt the price was actually decent. The starter pre-order kit with "early adopter rewards" came with the Mechs and enough C-bills to give them all DHS and some Endosteel and also 4 Modules.

Now I have some more shooty thingies to shoot with. Dual AC/10 platform Ho!
I like high hardpoints. Like, really enjoy those high hardpoints. That's why they put turrets on top of ships and vehicles instead of on the mid line.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 16 February 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#8 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Maybe this is all part of PGIs plan to improve the range of IS lasers so they don't need uber quirks? Posted Image /whistles X-files theme

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Honestly with these mechs i wasted $35, pretty crap mechs, i'll have to check in the future if its a 60ton IS mech for sale ignore it and take off my nostalgia glasses..

I'd love my $35 dollars back PGI...

Edited by Samial, 16 February 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#10 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

View Postcazidin, on 16 February 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Maybe this is all part of PGIs plan to improve the range of IS lasers so they don't need uber quirks? Posted Image /whistles X-files theme

'cries due to how absolutely horrid the newest X-Files episode is'

Personally, I'm having a lot of difficulty getting my Rifleman to work. Hopefully it's just because I'm a bad player.

#11 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 16 February 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Run a few matchs with a stock 3N and a 'stock+' 3N. Solid performer (300-400 damage) as long as the Oxides can be kept away from my legs.

Stock 3N takes careful heat management; I only shut down twice fighting an Atlas due to forgetting how low the heatcap is with only 10 singles.

You lost me at stock

#12 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 February 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

The starter pre-order kit with "early adopter rewards" came with the Mechs and enough C-bills to give them all DHS and some Endosteel and also 4 Modules.

Yep, tried to put in DHS, endo and ferro and it freed up a whole 5.1 tons. But I had to add back in a DHS which took two of the remaining spaces and left 4.1 tons. So after 2.4 million c-bills I was able to outfit a deadly 2 x AC5 w/ 3 tons of ammo (for a whopping 450 max damage if I hit 100% of the time) and 4 medium lasers. FEAR ME!

And I gave at the office. But when I found out what I was really supporting, not what I was told I was supporting...well Archer is last of the mechs I will buy.

View PostFiona Marshe, on 16 February 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

300-400 damage is a solid performer...if we are talking 20 tonners.

#13 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

Because a 60ton ballistic based mech was going to work. 5D best Rifleman variant.

#14 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 16 February 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

Yep, tried to put in DHS, endo and ferro and it freed up a whole 5.1 tons. But I had to add back in a DHS which took two of the remaining spaces and left 4.1 tons. So after 2.4 million c-bills I was able to outfit a deadly 2 x AC5 w/ 3 tons of ammo (for a whopping 450 max damage if I hit 100% of the time) and 4 medium lasers. FEAR ME!

And I gave at the office. But when I found out what I was really supporting, not what I was told I was supporting...well Archer is last of the mechs I will buy.

300-400 damage is a solid performer...if we are talking 20 tonners.

Well you could always just drop down to 2 medium lasers instead of 4 and have 2 more tons of ammo, and since you'll be producing less heat you can even drop that heat sink for another ton of ammo.so thats 6 or 7 tons of ammo right there plus 2 medium lasers. With the crazy high AC5 quirks it does fine. You don't have to pack it full on every hardpoint, Sometimes less is more.

#15 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

Laser mechs get a reduction in the quirks? Ya mean mechs are still able to reach further away than the stock laser with quirks??? AND people are still crying?

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 February 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

When I see something labeled as not being "XL friendly" I think Stalker, Atlas, or Victor,

Your inclusion of the VTR with STK and AS7 is perplexing.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 16 February 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

Your inclusion of the VTR with STK and AS7 is perplexing.

Why is that perplexing? None of them are "XL-friendly." You know what we call XL Stalkers? Bad.

#18 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

I think PGI needs to take a look where the front ST's change over to the back ST's. Right now I feel torso twisting is actually causing more harm then good, as I'm trying to spread damage and end up getting a rear ST cored out taking fire from the front. Also noticed this taking LRM fire to the front as well.

#19 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 February 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

I am stoked about the Rifleman... why?
I already own all the JagerMechs... still stoked. why?

I am easily amused, and I play video games for fun. Seriously.
Yup. Just wanted to buy something to support the game when I felt the price was actually decent. The starter pre-order kit with "early adopter rewards" came with the Mechs and enough C-bills to give them all DHS and some Endosteel and also 4 Modules.

Now I have some more shooty thingies to shoot with. Dual AC/10 platform Ho!
I like high hardpoints. Like, really enjoy those high hardpoints. That's why they put turrets on top of ships and vehicles instead of on the mid line.

I award you one internet.

You play a video game for FUN, you say? HERESY! Seriously, I think they can flog you with rubber garden hoses for that in Saudi Arabia or something.

And what's all this turrets-go-here stuff? PFFT! NONSENSE! I shall have a mech with all leg-mounted weapons yet! "BECAUSE REASONS!!!" -Mister Torgue High-Five Flexington

Some thoughts on ROFLman variants...

-3N seems to take really well to the UAC/5.
-5D REALLY likes the PPCs. So much, in fact, that it'll squish THREE of 'em into one arm, just to show you.
-3C and AC/2s. SO. MUCH. TROLL.

Also, the -3N can actually make AC/10s more than just FUN. I thought my Doom Nipples WHM had good times with the AC/10 until I hopped into THIS machine.

The bunch of XL 280 engines I had laying around? They fit pretty well into the RFL chassis, now that I think of it.

Not a bad mech at all, really. Not GREAT, but then, isn't that what we kinda wanted? GOOD, but not OP. Works, isn't broken, doesn't upset balance. Quirks work, aren't generally excessive compared to other similar mechs. ROFLman is okay in my book...

Edited by TheRAbbi, 16 February 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#20 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 February 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Why is that perplexing? None of them are "XL-friendly." You know what we call XL Stalkers? Bad.

Because VTRs were one of the best mechs in the game and all ran XLs. Not sure what that has to do with STKs and AS7s.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users