#21 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

View PostDesphiria, on 19 February 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

So, if I buy the Hunchback 4J do I have to make a build for it immediately or can I use the normal default one? Does it have a default build when you first purchase it? Cause, I'm not sure how to build it. Do I use smurfly and just put anything? Or make it balanced somehow?

When you buy the HBK-4J, that's what you get. Then you can spend monies, an folk'll say, "Now, make This Monstrousity!"

My suggestion. Don't yet. Make small changes. I mean, look at the top right of the smurfy page. 10 Million for the fully kitted out with XL engine skirmisher. Learn your mech with single heatsinks until the machine earns it's doubles. Get endosteel an more ammo after you survive burning through all your ammo. Keep the Standard engine an learn 't position whilest slower.

The hunchback is a beginner's mech because it's great to learn with. So do. And then, once your taken your mech from basics to pimped out, you'll be that much better with it. Because you'll know how to use it when it under performs, and can abuse it's powers once it's truely built up.

At least, that's how I do it. You may work different. Find what works for you. Do that.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 19 February 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#22 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

View PostDesphiria, on 19 February 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

So, if I buy the Hunchback 4J do I have to make a build for it immediately or can I use the normal default one? Does it have a default build when you first purchase it? Cause, I'm not sure how to build it. Do I use smurfly and just put anything? Or make it balanced somehow?

Everyone else covered most things, including suggested builds. Here's a helpful Guide that explains mech construction, and whatever else you need to know about building, and customizing your own mech. I designed it specifically for new players, so don't be shy with the feedback, XD.

#23 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

I definitely agree with the hunchbacks. Out of the box they can be a formidable foe on the battlefield. They are forgiving, but will not teach bad habits.

As far as upgrading, start small. The last upgrade (this is the one that is debatable on most mechs) would be the xl engine.

The reasons I have for not spending on xl engines without really thinking first:
1. Especially in larger mechs, it can be the difference between you adding two medium lasers to a mech and buying a second mech in the chassis. The cost can really hurt your c bill flow.
2. It is really easy to spot a mech running an xl. Is it going a bit faster than normal and still carrying a good amount of weaponry. It probably has an xl.
3. Am I really good at spreading damage across my torso. If not it is best to stick with a std.

Only inner sphere lights, and clan non omni mechs become candidates for a definite xl upgrade (omni mechs already have em). And the clan non omni can still be debated. Lights are fragile as is, and so putting an xl in for added speed is not changing your risk factor alot.

Back to the topic:

After the hunchbacks, I recommend you stick in that same weight class, or start to move down in weight. The lower the weight, the more fragile the mech. Lower weight mechs can be frustrating, but the piloting skills they teach are invaluable. After learning to be that crazy light pilot, my ability to pilot bigger mechs got better as well. I was searching for cover more, not running head on into the enemy as much, spreading damage better, and more worried about where my team was for support. These skills translated over to piloting heavies and assaults better than I could have ever hoped.

#24 Desphiria

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

I used a light mech for a bit, kinna going back and forth, still trying to figure out which I like better. I like it but I don't know if I'm playing it right. I've seen people run and mark and pink then run again. On one map I marked and shot at the mech from a distance to help. It was kinna fun. I'm kinna getting a tiny bit good at Mediums but I'm not awesome yet. I got the XL engine for mine cause I kinna don't like bein slow cause I can't catch up to my team, it kinna annoyed me. So, was that a bad thing to do?

#25 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

No.

It's expensive. A definate investment. But now that you have one, you can swap it around between mechs. Just pull the XL outta the Hunchback, an place it in a firestarter or raven, if you've got em, swap between your centurions an Shadowhawks an whatnot. Then, when you done, pull it again. A few good XL engines can go a long ways.

As for lights, take a gander Over Here. Its an advanced look at light tactics, and I hope there's a lot to take away beside how to run pell mell around thine enemies.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 20 February 2016 - 10:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users