39 replies to this topic

#21 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

View Postjss78, on 19 February 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

This goes squarely against what you're supposed to tell new players, but I've found "lurmisher" type LRM mechs highly effective at farming KMDD's.

Ha! That's exactly the reason why I have avoided LRMs until now - because everyone seems to caution new players against lurming Posted Image But I think that after 1.5 months of playing MWO and 285 hours on my Steam counter, I might finally give it a try. I am currently testing a 3xcLPL Hellbringer, and it's looking good, although playing an asymmetric build feels very weird. But the thought of replacing that 3rd cLPL with something else has already crossed my mind, and it might as well be LRMs. How does something like this look to you? Honestly, I have no idea what to do with LRMs - which launchers to pick, how much ammo to carry, whether I need active probe or targeting comp or both etc. Could use a little advice here Posted Image

#22 Nedolon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

I wouldn't care too much about KMDDs, either you get it or not. Try to do good matches , and you'll get some now and then. The average amount of KMDDs is below 1. You are allready above average, if you get 1 KMDD per match, so trying to squish in some more just means, trying even more to be above everybody else in the team. I had 900 dmg matches with 0 KMDD and I don't care, as long as it is a good match.

Edited by Nedolon, 19 February 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#23 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 19 February 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

This. I've had people question why I only ran 3 LPL on a Marauder, then they see my damage at the end. When I drop with a decent PUG, I can sustain a good poke-while-moving tactic and get 3-4 KMMD.

Now, if your drops are all stomped/stomps, you won't get a lot of KMMD.

This can definitely work when a match goes well. My issue with these types of builds (for this specific question) is that while a 3 LPL IS build has a very good dps, its lack of high alpha means there's a better chance your primary target can move off into cover before you can put enough damage into it to ensure the KMDD. In general I love IS 3 LPL builds. They have decent range and good heat efficiency for the damage dealt, but they may not be the best at this specific task.

This is the same issue that harasser mechs like the Raven 2X face. If you're constantly switching up targets, KMDD's can be few and far between.

Edited by Khereg, 19 February 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#24 Danny713

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:16 AM

I worked on leveling mechs/getting x2 xp on anything that needed xp until all i had left was KMDD then it was lrm60 assaults,target biggest,slowest mech Rinse,Repeat as necessary.12 KMDD over 4 hours in other builds, 2 matches with 4 KMDD each with the missle boats (mauler1R and Warhawk B)

#25 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

I'm only in my second week, but I've been getting nearly one a match with an SRM brawler.

#26 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

I used the event to level Hellbringers and Jenner IIc's (can do some of the builds on Cheetahs). Builds that worked well for getting multiple KMDDs and, often as not, outright solo kills:
-HBR - 1x UAC-10, 4x ERML, TCOMP I, ECM
-HBR - 1x Gauss, 4x ERML, TCOMP I, ECM
-JR7 IIC - A - 6x SPL
-JR7 IIC - 2x SRM4, 4x SRM2

Other builds that I've used to farm last event's KMDD goals quite easily:
-WHM-6R - 2x UAC-5, 4xML
-KGC-000B(C) - yep, the trial King Crab Posted Image

And, just because Shadowcats aren't being appreciated enough, try these two:
- SHC - 1x UAC-10, 2xSPL (can do 2xERML too if you want extra range), ECM
- SHC - 2x LPL, 6xMG, TCOMP I --> focus on poking and sanding people down early game. Once internals are exposed, pounce on the most out-of-position targets available and use the MGs to saw components off of them

#27 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

Im guessing people are asking because of the event/challenge going on right now.

The EASY way to do it?
-Get a mech that load up on SRM launchers.
-Keep em all on one trigger.
-Hit override as soon as you drop
-Face tank the first poor sap you can jump and keep spamming the trigger until one of you is dead

You may not live through it. You may not even kill your opponent. But provided you got at least a couple alphas on your target and somebody else finishes them off you will get the KMDD.

full disclosure: I do not fully endorse this method, despite it's simple efficacy. A better idea would learn to be a "proper brawler."

View PostStumbleBee, on 19 February 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

I'm only in my second week, but I've been getting nearly one a match with an SRM brawler.

This guy gets it

#28 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

So far, the 3xcLPL Hellbringer I'm currently testing is showing some promise Posted Image It requires a lot of patience, and doesn't give me the option of going into a "crisis mode" since it doesn't have the burst DPS of my 2xcERLL + 2xcUAC/5 build. However, it's steadily getting me 1-2 KMDDs per match, and with a lot more balanced and enjoyable playstyle compared to what I described in the original post. Interestingly, even when a match goes bad and I end up with a low damage figure of around 300, I still get a KMDD most of the time. I guess cLPLs are pretty good at doing pinpoint damage to a single target. I've already noticed that with my 4xcLPL Warhawk, but it was difficult to realize its full potential in PUG games as assaults are heavily dependent on support from the team. A Hellbringer, however, has the mobility and survivability to pick a target and keep poking at it until it goes down. So once again, thanks for the tip Posted Image

P.S. I would not recomment this build to new players, however. Having all your weapons in the LT is a potential liability, and has already bit me in the a$$ a couple of times. Asymmetric builds are tricky Posted Image

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 19 February 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#29 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 19 February 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

So far, the 3xcLPL Hellbringer I'm currently testing is showing some promise Posted Image It requires a lot of patience, and doesn't give me the option of going into a "crisis mode" since it doesn't have the burst DPS of my 2xcERLL + 2xcUAC/5 build. However, it's steadily getting me 1-2 KMDDs per match, and with a lot more balanced and enjoyable playstyle compared to what I described in the original post. Interestingly, even when a match goes bad and I end up with a low damage figure of around 300, I still get a KMDD most of the time. I guess cLPLs are pretty good at doing pinpoint damage to a single target. I've already noticed that with my 4xcLPL Warhawk, but it was difficult to realize its full potential in PUG games as assaults are heavily dependent on support from the team. A Hellbringer, however, has the mobility and survivability to pick a target and keep poking at it until it goes down. So once again, thanks for the tip Posted Image

P.S. I would not recomment this build to new players, however. Having all your weapons in the LT is a potential liability, and has already bit me in the a$$ a couple of times. Asymmetric builds are tricky Posted Image

That is a favorite of mine.
Ive also run the classic mix of 2 LPL and 3 er MLs using the head and left arm energy point.

#30 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 19 February 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

Ha! That's exactly the reason why I have avoided LRMs until now - because everyone seems to caution new players against lurming Posted Image But I think that after 1.5 months of playing MWO and 285 hours on my Steam counter, I might finally give it a try. I am currently testing a 3xcLPL Hellbringer, and it's looking good, although playing an asymmetric build feels very weird. But the thought of replacing that 3rd cLPL with something else has already crossed my mind, and it might as well be LRMs. How does something like this look to you? Honestly, I have no idea what to do with LRMs - which launchers to pick, how much ammo to carry, whether I need active probe or targeting comp or both etc. Could use a little advice here Posted Image

I'm really horrible with clan mech building as I'm almost exclusively IS. On the IS side you generally want to use small LRM launchers (5's or 10's) if you have enough hardpoints to run the number of tubes you want (you get more tubes per tonnage, quicker reload and a tighter missile cluster with small launchers). I think this is not true on the clan side, as the missiles launch in a stream anyway. Looking at the numbers it seems to me like the cLRM15 gives more tubes per tonnage compared to the other launchers, so it's seem like a good choice.

If clan Active Probe and ECM work the same as on IS side, the active probe won't give you the ECM countering unless you set your ECM to counter mode also. So they kind of conflict one another and the AP becomes a bit redundant if you carry ECM.

I believe typically clanners have always run TC1, but not the bigger ones, but they buffed the bigger TC's in the latest patch, so now I don't know.

Here is a very quick modification of your build which takes off the (somewhat redundant) cAP, saves some more tonnage by removing Artemis, but then adds an ERML on your "laser side" and a second LRM launcher your "missile side". I also maxed the CT armour and upped the leg armour a little.

#31 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

View PostKhereg, on 19 February 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

I would say that this is the exact definition of an ambush playstyle. You're attacking targets that take relatively little damage to kill and using a build that avoids the issue of being inaccurate when trying to shoot a bouncing, fast-moving light. I use SPL's, you use streaks. Tomayto, tomahto. Good on you.

Since you mention the ambush playstyle being great for KMMD's it got me thinking about my other mech that is good at getting them. My 4 ASRM6, LB20X AC, 350 XL Orion IIC-A. 80 KPH to quickly position and find lone mechs, 68 point alpha to take them out (or at least cripple them) in 2-3 shots! So much fun!

#32 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

View PostJeffrey Wilder, on 19 February 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

I kill with the least damage even if it's not event time and I mean pretty fresh enemies, not end of match.

Had a match where I saw an enemy 6xLRM5 MDD which did a miserable 97 damage. I really wonder why people still bring LRMs to events.

A confirm kill means KMDD, LRMs are just so inefficient.

A good example is this event.

I completed 20 KMDs while having only 23 Assists; guess I really kill a lot.

#33 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 19 February 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

Ha! That's exactly the reason why I have avoided LRMs until now - because everyone seems to caution new players against lurming Posted Image But I think that after 1.5 months of playing MWO and 285 hours on my Steam counter, I might finally give it a try.

I only really pay attention to KMDDs during the events that require them. My best builds for getting them are either to pull out a LRM boat or load my KGC with a AC20 brawling build and get in people's faces.

#34 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:04 AM

View PostNot A Real RAbbi, on 19 February 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

KNOW THE LAYOUT! If it's a ballistic or missile mech, and it's not STOCK, then the ammo is most likely in a leg, then the head, and then the CT. If one of those components is vulnerable on your target, may as well give it a hard poke and see if it pops. All that ammo explosion damage? YOU did that!

Seriously? I alter my stuff all over the place, but I'd think putting your machine in danger of losing its head or CT or a leg to a single crit on the ammo you must have lost your damn mind (never mind carrying copious ammo without CASE).

#35 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:40 AM

View PostElfcat, on 07 August 2020 - 12:04 AM, said:

Seriously? I alter my stuff all over the place, but I'd think putting your machine in danger of losing its head or CT or a leg to a single crit on the ammo you must have lost your damn mind (never mind carrying copious ammo without CASE).

ammo in head is used 1st so it's usually quite safe in there.

#36 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:45 AM

1. Please don't necro old threads and rather open a new one if you want to discuss the topic.
2. Ammo explosions are not that likely, case is a waste of tonnage, and the legs, head and CT are your best bets to place ammo where possible. Would you rather place ammo in more exposed and/or less armoured components like the arms or ST's?

View PostBiomechtric, on 07 August 2020 - 12:40 AM, said:

ammo in head is used 1st so it's usually quite safe in there.

no, it's used last.
Reference: https://wiki.mwomerc...p?title=Weapons

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 07 August 2020 - 12:46 AM.

#37 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:41 AM

I stand corrected, thank you.
I wonder if it has changed though as I've been told by many that head is 1st & it's also the order in this guide I used years ago when I started.
http://www.mercstar....ed-12-30-15.pdf

Look at the section named. Mech Lab Upgrades, Terminology Cont.

#38 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:48 AM

I guess it was changed at some point, yeah.

#39 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:35 AM

View PostElfcat, on 07 August 2020 - 12:04 AM, said:

Please educate yourself about head hitboxes: https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/
as you can see, on most mechs they're extremely difficult to hit on purpose.
Ammo crits are rare, and if you place your ammo correctly you're unlikely to suffer them.
CASE is a placebo, it only prevents damage transfer and won't stop the destruction of your side torso.

#40 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:48 PM

View PostHorseman, on 12 August 2020 - 02:35 AM, said:

Please educate yourself about head hitboxes: https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/
as you can see, on most mechs they're extremely difficult to hit on purpose.
Ammo crits are rare, and if you place your ammo correctly you're unlikely to suffer them.
CASE is a placebo, it only prevents damage transfer and won't stop the destruction of your side torso.

OK... I still think preventing damage transfer is a worthy thing, but I'll look more into head loading.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users