Question

16 replies to this topic

#1 Rocksummit

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationKarlshamn

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:50 AM

Why can't I equip DHS on my TDR-5S?
I've looked around all the info I can find but theres no mention of restrictions of DHS of any kind however that's what it looks like to me.

I've stripped the whole thing down and tried all kinds of engines etc but no luck. What's up?

#2 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:06 AM

Definitely should be able to add dual heatsinks to it, do you have enough cbills to pay for the upgrade?

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

Strip the mech completely, add DHS (upgrades wi foe in the bottom left in layout view ) - 1.5m c-bills, mind you.

All mechs can, and 99.9% of the time should. View the DHS upgrade price as a tax you simply have to pay.

If you can't, explain/show via screenshot exactly what you are doing and what it's saying when it prevents you from changing to DHS.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

DHS are no "item" you can just equip right away if the mech had SHS previously.
Your mechs heatdissipation system needs an UPGRADE.
For Upgrades see the upgrade tab in the mechlab when you are under categorie weapons, below right leg and left leg tab.
There you find other upgrades like endo steel ( you need 14 free slots ) or Ferrofibrit ( also 14 free slots ).

Edit says the upgrade will cost you 1.5 mio C-Bills

Edited by The Basilisk, 19 February 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostRocksummit, on 19 February 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

Why can't I equip DHS on my TDR-5S?
I've looked around all the info I can find but theres no mention of restrictions of DHS of any kind however that's what it looks like to me.

I've stripped the whole thing down and tried all kinds of engines etc but no luck. What's up?

To be very specific follow these steps: These assume you start in the Mechlab, looking at your mech of choice.
  • One. On the right hand side is a view option. Probably says "Layout Column." Choose Expanded. This will let you see all parts at once.
  • Two. Remove standard heatsinks (the ones hiding in the engine don't matter, ignore them). Double click them or drag/drop them to the right.
  • Three. Click "Upgrades" and then click "Double Heatsinks."
  • Four. Begin adding the new double heatsinks.
  • Five. If desired, make any other changes to the mech.
  • Six. Ensure that you can afford the changes (cost will be in cbills). Save the mech.

Edited by Koniving, 19 February 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#6 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

Step two can be skipped. When upgrading to double heat sinks, all std heat sinks are removed automatically.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostExard3k, on 19 February 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

Step two can be skipped. When upgrading to double heat sinks, all std heat sinks are removed automatically.

Not true, MWO currently transforms all existing standard heatsinks into doubles... If you have the slots skip step 2. Many heavy and assault mechs do not have the free slots available, however, nor does any mech with the heatsinks in the feet.

So it keeps the placement of standard heatsinks and swaps them out for you (rather than literally transforming them).
Don't have the slots, it won't let you.

Thus it's just easier to remove them first. Hence the earlier advice to "strip the mech completely" from other helpers.

#8 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:01 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 February 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

Not true, MWO currently transforms all existing standard heatsinks into doubles...

Well...not in my MWO. Whenever I have STD heat sinks in my mech and click on "double" in "upgrades", it automatically strips all std heat sinks off the mech leaving me with only the engine heat sinks. This is independent from available tons.

Sorry I'm making things complicated :)

Edited by Exard3k, 19 February 2016 - 08:01 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 February 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

Not true, MWO currently transforms all existing standard heatsinks into doubles... If you have the slots skip step 2. Many heavy and assault mechs do not have the free slots available, however, nor does any mech with the heatsinks in the feet.

So it keeps the placement of standard heatsinks and swaps them out for you (rather than literally transforming them).
Don't have the slots, it won't let you.

Thus it's just easier to remove them first. Hence the earlier advice to "strip the mech completely" from other helpers.

Sorry Koniving, you are mistaken.
after reading that I could never remember the Mechlab swapping singles for doubles on upgrade so I just logged in to check, if you take a Mech with single heat sinks and upgrade to double it removes all the single heat sinks and does not replace them, I suppose it is possible there is a well hidden setting to get it to swap them but I have never seen it.

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

I believe when upgrading all current SHS are transferred to inventory and replaced with DHS equal to the max number of integral heatsinks allowed by that engine type. On engines less than 250 this necessitates purchases of additional heatsinks.

#11 Rocksummit

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationKarlshamn

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies.
I'm guessing it's because I dont have the C-bills to pay for it that I cant pick the DHS in the upgrades menu.

I was under the assumption that I could play around with it and atleast pick the different types of upgrades just not Save it.

I'll try again at 1.5mil :)

#12 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostRocksummit, on 19 February 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

Thanks for all the quick replies.
I'm guessing it's because I dont have the C-bills to pay for it that I cant pick the DHS in the upgrades menu.

I was under the assumption that I could play around with it and atleast pick the different types of upgrades just not Save it.

I'll try again at 1.5mil Posted Image

You should totally be able to equip it even if you can't pay for it. There will be a warning that your build costs more than you currently have, but you can still mess around with it for fun. Can you take a screenshot of the process you are trying? A vid would probably be better.

#13 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostBoulangerie, on 19 February 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

You should totally be able to equip it even if you can't pay for it. There will be a warning that your build costs more than you currently have, but you can still mess around with it for fun. Can you take a screenshot of the process you are trying? A vid would probably be better.

doesnt work for double heat sinks...you need 1,5mio cbills to install them even if it's only for playing in the mechlab without purchases.

Edited by Exard3k, 19 February 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#14 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 19 February 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

after reading that I could never remember the Mechlab swapping singles for doubles on upgrade so I just logged in to check, if you take a Mech with single heat sinks and upgrade to double it removes all the single heat sinks and does not replace them, I suppose it is possible there is a well hidden setting to get it to swap them but I have never seen it.

There is a circumstance where buying the DHS upgrade will fail because of "not enough free slots".

I haven't explored it myself, but it absolutely can happen. I'm not totally sure of the circumstances, but simply removing all SHS will fix that problem.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 19 February 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

Not sure if versions are different in even the slightest, but do you remember the player who kept getting told he didn't have enough slots to do the upgrade for DHS, and we ended up having to tell him to remove the SHS first? Had the funds, kept getting the error "not enough slots."

Unless the guy was just repeatedly clicking a structure or armor upgrade thinking he was hitting "Double" and finally got lucky, it'd stand to reason that his luck on changing to doubles after being told to remove the singles would be for the double replacement.

He's the guy with the Raven. Not enough slots on his Raven for a DHS upgrade.

#16 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 February 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

Not sure if versions are different in even the slightest, but do you remember the player who kept getting told he didn't have enough slots to do the upgrade for DHS, and we ended up having to tell him to remove the SHS first? Had the funds, kept getting the error "not enough slots."

Unless the guy was just repeatedly clicking a structure or armor upgrade thinking he was hitting "Double" and finally got lucky, it'd stand to reason that his luck on changing to doubles after being told to remove the singles would be for the double replacement.

He's the guy with the Raven. Not enough slots on his Raven for a DHS upgrade.

I have to support Rouge Jedi here.
I never removed single heat sinks before upgrading and never ended up with more than the 10 free DHS that come with the engine.
Of course, I am only playing since October last year, so things might have been different earlier.

#17 Rocksummit

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationKarlshamn

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

After gathering 1.5 mil C-bills I could do the upgrade to DHS. But without the money it was not possible and it gives no warning that I'm lacking funds. Normaly things go to your cart and you can edit around but like Exard3k says, you cant.

This should be fixed IMO. Give a notice or go to the cart, either or.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users