21 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:14 AM

I've been looking to master a new assault mech, and the Mauler seems like a very interesting mech to pilot. Its visually distinct looks and ability to boat weapons like crazy makes it seem like it will be fun to use. However, while I believe in playing this game for fun and not for stats, piloting a non-meta mech can be painfully frustrating sometimes, especially when piloting an assault mech (I'm looking at you pre-quirked atlas.). I'm just curious what the overall opinion of the mech is. The ability to boat dakka and missiles like crazy is what draws me to this mech, but I've faced the Mauler in battle, and extreme weapon boating won't save it from dropping like a 90 ton brick when facing meta-cheese laser vomit. I'm just curious whether it's a chassis that is workable enough that I won't rage quite trying to master it (I'm looking at you again pre-quirked atlas.)

Peace, and have fun

#2 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:49 AM

5x AC/5 is pretty "meta" but the Mech will be Dire-Whale-slow. Fun fact, it can carry the "Atlas loadout" consisting of an AC/20 and SRMs: MAL-1R

Carrying missiles(LRMs) won't be that great because: One, you lasers are low mounted on the arms, two, ballistics aren't really and option (moreover, they compete for space with the missiles on the STs), and three, the MAL-1R only has 2E :/

BTW, here's a Gauss build: MAL-1P. I think I still prefer KGC's dual Gauss+3LL build.

#3 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

In my opinion it is totally worth it. It is my favorite assault to pilot (I own all the bigboys except the KGC and Gargles).You have the tonnage available to do about anything, except boat lasers due to hardpoint selection. Meta or not, the 5xAC5 MX90 is a blast to use. Yeah you are only going to go mid 50's, but that is what you get in something that can put that level of DPS down without overheating ever.

The thing that makes the Maulers appealing to me is the options. If you want to build an SRM brawler, do it and have fun. If you want to do a gauss, lrm support, again, have fun.

It is enjoyable, but just recognize that it is a slow assault and can't soak damage indefinitely.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Are they worth it?

YES!

Can be built with more variety than just about anything I can think of. Just 90 tons of fun.

#5 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

Affirmative. Mauler is a great mech. Posted Image

#6 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

i believe they are good and id still advise you to buy em, ( bought some maulers recently) but I would recommend buying the KIngcrab as well if you dont have it already

#7 PUFNSTUF

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostWindscape, on 20 February 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

i believe they are good and id still advise you to buy em, ( bought some maulers recently) but I would recommend buying the KIngcrab as well if you dont have it already

And why would you advise that? Better thanks to the extra 10 tons? Which of the two would be better for ballistic builds?

#8 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostPUFNSTUF, on 20 February 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

And why would you advise that? Better thanks to the extra 10 tons? Which of the two would be better for ballistic builds?

The KGC 4xUAC-5 is superior to anything the Mauler can do, so if dakka is what you want...

#9 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostPUFNSTUF, on 20 February 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Both have pros and cons (obviously) despite having the ability to have similar builds.

KC pro: KC is just tougher than a Mauler IMHO. The "top down" profile lets it approach the enemy line more effectively. While certainly not a big advantage in many PUG drops where LRMs are prevalent. It never the less is capable of tanking more damage than a Mauler.

KC pro: KC has arm mounted ballistics. This is a big deal. Not just for the aiming flexibility but for when you want to carry Gauss. The fact that you are more nimble (pitch, yaw, twist, etc.) with your primary guns is a huge benefit.

Mauler pro: In direct opposition to the above: Mauler has all its ballistics in the chest. Higher weapons mounts are a big deal. Weapons height is probably the biggest advantage the Mauler has over the KC. Some also assert that torso mounted weapons provide a more stable aiming platform than arm mounts (not sure I agree with this but I have seen it mentioned in regard to builds in general).

Mauler pro: Only two things attract more fire than a King Crab: A Dire and an Atlas. A Mauler just doesn't for some reason (at least at the lower tiers).

KC pro: Totally subjective here...KC is the scariest looking mech in the game.

#10 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

The KC is a fun mech, but running exclusively 4x UAC 5 builds for every variant seems like it would get boring. I owned a KC for a while, but I didn't really like the way the mech handled, and I didn't like the hardpoint placement. The fact that I would consistently hit the light mechs who would inevitably scurry in front of me when I was piloting the KC just annoyed me. However, the King Crab was ridiculously tanky, even without torso twisting, and I don't know if the Mauler will be even close to as tough. I don't recall the king crab being able to run any more then 4 ac 5's though, so the mauler seems like it has the King Crab beaten on sheer quantity of dakka.

Peace, and Have fun.

#11 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 February 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

KC pro: Totally subjective here...KC is the scariest looking mech in the game.

I have to disagree with this. Banshee is the scariest looking mech in the game. I mean, it is both hideous and deadly. (I may have a slight bias.)

#12 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Everyone bashes the 1r variant.

2lpl 4asrm6 4mgs

If i do less than 500dmg a match im dissapointed. Just hold down chain fire on the srms and hold the mgs on target. U can use the 2 lpls 2 or 3 times until to hot then just use srms and mgs.

Multiple kills

Pro tip: do not lead the charge. Cant tank worth a damn

Other builds are 4uac5 and i have one set up 2lrm 15 2 lpl 2mpl 4mgs (:P).

I dont care for uac5. It just doesnt tank well

#13 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

just want to add that the KGC has a wider torso twist range as well, so easier to torso twist and spread damage, but, i like both of them, i run the same builds on the mauler that the KGC has and they both have their pros and cons Bud Crue stated above

if your sick of 4 UAC5s, try this, its just as fun and effective Posted Image
2lb10
4mgs
2sml puls
2 srm6
they work on both the MX90 and the 000, i like em a lot Posted Image

EDIT:
smurfy loadouts
KGC-000 (improved)
MAL-MX90

Edited by Windscape, 22 February 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#14 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Maulers are a good mech. They don't tank damage as well as a Banshee (not sure about King Crabs, but they also seem rather tough), but they can hold their own, and they pack tremendous firepower. If you love dakka, they are an ideal choice, and have enough hardpoints, depending upon variant, to do almost anything.

#15 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:47 PM

4 of my favorite mechs are maulers. No missiles. Posted Image

MAL-1P This is the Triple Barrel Shotgun
MAL-1R This is the Twin Barrel Rifle
MAL-2P This is the Twin Canon
MAL-MX90 This is the Penta Troll Posted Image

Results may vary, but I usually have a good time.

#16 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:01 AM

YES!! MX-90 w/ 4 AC5's and 2 AC2's using an XL engine will seriously rekk mech face.

#17 Unendingmenace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDropship Dire Wolf

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Yes Maulers are fantastic Mech's, definitely recommend picking up one (or three)! Try 4 x AC5 and watch the world burn!

#18 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:17 AM

Would 6 AC2's on chain fire be effective? Last time I tried that many at once I overheated instead (was a King Crab)

#19 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 01 March 2016 - 01:17 AM, said:

Would 6 AC2's on chain fire be effective? Last time I tried that many at once I overheated instead (was a King Crab)

I have run this build since Maulers went live, with the changes to the AC2, it's quite viable. Five AC5 seems to be the meta right now, but I prefer the six AC2 build personally.

Maulers are fantastic mechs. I was a little lukewarm on them in the beginning, but after mastering all of them and spending some time in the chassis, they've become my second favorite assaults behind the Banshee.

#20 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

MAL-1P
MAL-2P
MAL-MX90
MAL-1R

These are my builds of the mauler. Got all of them 3 weeks ago. Wich gives the middlefinger to "meta" builds

Having great results with them so far. The lowest K/D is on the Mal1R, with 1.85/1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users