Omnimechs

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatyr

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hello, I'm new to Clan mechs, having played mainly with IS mechs and recently trial Clan mechs, I was wondering since I don't own any Clan mechs. How do Omnimechs work? As in, does getting new components ONLY change the hardpoints? Or can you get components that let you use Jump Jets and even MASC on a mech that doesn't initially have this?

#2 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

You can trade components within variants of mechs. I.E. WHK-A side torsi, arms, legs and head can go on the WHK-B CT.

Some components have JJ while others don't. Kit Fox has legs with and without JJ. Arm with and without ECM etc.

I'm not sure about MASC, I know the SHC it's in the CT for all variants.

Edited by DemonicDonut, 20 February 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#3 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

How omnimechs work is that you can mix and match various omnipods to your liking, but there are a few limits. You cannot put Timber Wolf omnipods on another omnimech such as a Hellbringer, and you can only swap omnipods with omnipods designed for a particular location (you cannot put a right arm omnipod on a left arm).

While some omnipods only have certain hardpoints, omnipods can also carry hardlocked equipment that you cannot remove, such as heatsinks, jumpjets, engines, and MASC.

With omnipod swapping, you can change in a few cases whether your omnimech has jumpjets or not (the direwolf-S CT and the Timberwolf-S side torsos are notable examples).

The only Clan omnimechs so far that have MASC are the Shadowcat and the Executioner.

#4 Lunatyr

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

Okay, thanks. That answers pretty much all I had asked.

#5 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

Equipping different omnipods will give you access to different hardpoints, correct. If the new omnipod comes with jump jets, your mech will then be able to jump (for example, equipping a Timber Wolf Prime with the right torso omnipod of a Timber Wolf-S will give your mech two JJs).

MASC is a bit different, AFAIK at the moment all MASC - capable mechs mount MASC always in the same location, so there will be no variant of the Executioner which does not have MASC, regardless of which omnipods you mount. This may change in the future, though, depending on PGI.

Mounting different omnipods will also transfer the quirks associated with these omnipods to your mech. Basically, your mech's quirks will be the sum of the quirks resulting from the pods you mount.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users