Intel Hexa-Core I7 Low Fps Solution.

9 replies to this topic

#1 MadCat Wayne

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

Hi there, I'm Madcat Wayne in case you've met me in the game. Here's the problem.

Recently, I upgraded my system to a Hexa-Core I7 5820K for higher FPS in CW.

However, I got much lower FPS than Quad Core I7 4770K.

FRAPS showed 20+ Average on new map Polar Highland. (All setting Very high, DX11)

If I set to medium, will get 30+ average. Nothing changed in Dx9/10 mode.

Much slower than my old build.

I tried everything to find the problem. So, Here's my precious experience for those who suffer from low FPS on High End PCs. Or even normal PC.

1st,tried to overclock to 4.26GHZ on CPU since people said this game eats CPU Clock a lot. Still nothing.

2nd, turn on multi-thread via Nvidia control panel. Nothing happened. I even create "User.cfg" to script the multi-thread function, still nothing!

3rd, Set Windows Power Management to High Performance. Nothing changed.

4th, Turn off X.M.P via BIOS. Memory Frequency dropped from 3333MHZ to 2333MHZ. Still nothing changed.

5th, I tried to turn off Hyper Threading via Bios. Couldn't boot the System. Seemed that need to reinstall the system. Pass.

6th, Tweaking every Cpu energy saving function in Bios. Eist(Speed Step) , C1E Function. No help.

7th, the only step release the power of my Hexa-Core. CPU Clock Ratio Mode. I switch from Fixed Mode to Dynamic Mode(They should remain off while overclocking. However...).

Now, I can reach over 70+ FPS during CW. Actually, I regretted to upgrade my hardware. Because there's no huge increase in FPS comparing to my old build. (From I7 4770K + Gtx 760 SLI to I7 5820K + GTX 980Ti. Reason? Poor game coding, More Cores suffer more! Nvidia THE WAY supports SLI pretty efficiently! )

In conclusion, you don't need a high end PC for this game, that's a waste. And for those poor guys like me with X99 + Hexa Core, Please use dynamic Cpu clock ratio mode, even U overclocked. And If you try my Steps 1-6, You may get a better FPS depending on the situation.

Lastly, secrete little Ads.Posted Image Selling my Previous Build. High FPS MWO experience certified! I7 4770K + Corsair Dominator Platinum 8+8G Dual Chanel DDR3 2400MHZ+ ASUS Z87 Saber-tooth + Zotac GTX 760 Extreme version. Less than 1 year usage. Message mePosted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MadCat Wayne, 18 February 2016 - 02:35 AM.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:34 AM

The clock ratio mode is the turbo right? Maybe it stays fixed at 3.2 with it on?

#3 Raidflex

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

I usually average about 120-150FPS with 5820K @ 4.5GHz and GTX 780 TI SLI. Sometimes it will dip below 100 depending on map and the current fight I am in. Now this is at 3440x1440 resolution and very high setting. Performance has improve over the past couple of patches/NVIDIA drivers. I still find with SLI off the game feels smoother, but my FPS is cut almost in half.

PS: Not in front of my PC at the moment but I believe I have Dynamic Mode on for the CPU Clock Ratio.

Edited by Raidflex, 18 February 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#4 MadCat Wayne

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 18 February 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

The clock ratio mode is the turbo right? Maybe it stays fixed at 3.2 with it on?

I Check the setting in BIOS. If it's Fixed Mode, than Turbo Mode will be automatically disabled. Means CPU Will run at 4.26G Forever.

If it's Dynamic Mode, You could manually turn on/off Turbo Mode and EIST(Speed Step Tech). Means CPU will adjust it's ration itself, but always below 4.26GHZ, 4.26GHZ is the maximum.

The performance loss in fixed mode remains unknown. The fact is that whichever mode CPU is on, the Clock will always be on full ratio and 4.26GHZ I set. And Fixed Mode just runs low FPS....

#5 s o l i t u d e

• PipPip
  • WC 2017 Gold Champ
  • WC 2017 Gold Champ
  • 22 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

I have a 5820K 6-core. I stream pretty regularly, and notice a vast improvement in MWO fps while using the CPU encoder in OBS over my old 3770K. So the extra core aren't useless if streaming. For reference, my 5820K sits at 4.6Ghz, while my 3770K ran at 4.8Ghz. But yeah if all you play is mechwarrior, and you don't stream, X99 is kind of overkill.

#6 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Jacking the BCLK is a thing on Haswell-E?

There something you need to touch manually about the HPET on that mobo?

#7 MadCat Wayne

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostGoose, on 18 February 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

Jacking the BCLK is a thing on Haswell-E?

There something you need to touch manually about the HPET on that mobo?

You mean fsb Clock? I usually overclock with the Ratio.But the 3333MHZ X.M.P Memory will auto adjust the CPU fsb clock, in order to catch upon the memory speed maybe. If I turn on X.M.P and manually lower the fsb clock, that will never boot the system. It's 104.something on my Cpu fsb clock, Ratio is 41. Vcore is 1.19V.

#8 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

I use a combination of bclk, gear ratio, and multi to get to 4.46GhZ. Recently, I've switched to just multi to hit 4.5GhZ since the RAM speed boost with the bclk change doesn't make make of a difference when you're already running quad-channel. I also let my CPU step down when not fully loaded. Haven't had any real performance issues here, so the OP's issue is a little weird... BIOS issue maybe?

#9 MadCat Wayne

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 18 February 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

I use a combination of bclk, gear ratio, and multi to get to 4.46GhZ. Recently, I've switched to just multi to hit 4.5GhZ since the RAM speed boost with the bclk change doesn't make make of a difference when you're already running quad-channel. I also let my CPU step down when not fully loaded. Haven't had any real performance issues here, so the OP's issue is a little weird... BIOS issue maybe?

I tried GTA V and Fallout 4 with fixed mode, everything is fine. It onlu drops FPS in MWO.

Mobo is MSI X99A-M Power. BIOS updated version!

#10 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Since you haven't listed which Windows you are using, I'm gon'a assume it's Seven, and tell you to get ParkControl to improve your power plans …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users