Custom Battletech map

4 replies to this topic

#1 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

I thought some people other than me might get some enjoyment out of this, so I'm posting it here.

I just recently got back into the tabletop game, and then quickly remembered how bored I was with the maps. They just felt too... I don't know. Stale? Too well balanced? Small? Suffice it to say I was unsatisfied.

It turns out I run a hackerspace that has a giant poster printer, so I quickly realized I could make my own damn maps. I zoomed all the way in on Google Maps, switched it to terrain mode, and overlaid a hex map pattern (from Incompetech). The net result is the 30" x 60" Battle for Walden Pond! It'll get play tested for the first time this Sunday, and if it all goes well I'm going to start making more.

Zazzle.com quotes a print charge of $41.60 for it. Alternatively, you could always print it out on a bunch of 8.5x11s and tape them together.

If there are any kind, graphically-inclined, OCD souls out there who would be willing to put in elevation details, forest types, water depths, rough terrain, and more, I'd be elated to work with you. I have a rough plan for what goes where, I just need someone to spend the time to overlay them in photoshop.

Anyway, check it out, have fun, and if you want a higher res version let me know.

#2 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

It looks good except you might want to increase the scale of the underlying map in relation to hex sizes.

#3 Paralax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNYC, The City that Never sleeps

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Scale is off...

Zoom in 2 more clicks

#4 Gunther Davion

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Good catch. Unfortunately, Google Maps doesn't zoom in any more with terrain turned on, so if I make it real scale it'll get really grainy. Anyone have a source for terrain maps that are higher resolution?

I might fix it in future revisions, but for this Sunday's game I think I'll leave it be. I kind of like the size of features - plateaus that are 6 hexes wide, forests that are 5 hexes wide, etc.

#5 Tragerscott

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Try the USGS maps, they come in a varity of scales/sizes, with a good zoom feature. I used to play a lot of Avalon Hill's old board game "Squad Leader". got tired of their maps and used the government ones. Nothing like simulating a good firefight in your own neighborhood. :P

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users