How To Make A Decent Drop Deck?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Nabbis

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:41 AM

Okay so after the shopping spree and few matches under my belt with the new mechs I was wondering if there is anyhope for these mechs in the faction warfare?

So atm I have 3 Firestarters (A, S and E)

3 Centurions (Yen, A and AH) these I wouldn't even consider on cw.

3 Jagers, (A, DD and S) These i have actually used on the cw with 20 ac or ac5 ultra builds.

1 Cata k2

3 Cataphracts (3D, 0xp, and Ilya) from these the ilya seems to perfom best but might be cause i feel more home on the ilya than the two others.

4 Stalkers (F, H, N And Misery,)

Last is the Thunderbolt 9SE.

I can't really find a good balance with these usually i end up either getting killed from long range with the cataphracts or getting to a brawl with the stalkers :S.

So any ideas how to make these things to a somewhat decent form? or should i just get a new lineup all together for cw?

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:07 AM

Jagers, Stalkers and Thunderbolts are a pretty common sight in CW.
From time to time I see an Ilya or a 0XP.
Firestarters are pretty squishy nowadays so its a more rare sight to me.
ECM Spiders, ECM Griffins, ECM Locust, or those annoying dakka Enforcer..those are common sight lighter CW mechs.

You got 260t to fill and you need 4 mechs.
So...LLasStalker, 0XP ( AC10+2LPLas), Dakka Ilya ( 3xUAC5 ), and Firestarter as filler for fast round.

Good hunting.

Edited by The Basilisk, 22 February 2016 - 03:08 AM.

#3 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:18 AM

There are two schools of thought that I've seen with drop decks. When attacking (as in trying to kill the generators) with most organized teams you want an assault mech first to take down the turrets, two heavy/medium mechs next to take out the generators and kill enemy mechs, and a light last to kill omega. That is an extremely effective strategy when your team is coordinated.

Otherwise you want to bring mechs that you can use effectively, use up as much tonnage as possible, and (for the most part) don't bring LRMs. You are likely to face organized opposition who know how to counter LRMs, and you want to make sure you are on the front lines taking hits with the rest of your team.

It also depends on who you are fighting. IS tends to brawl more, and clans tend to stay at range (though this may have shifted since the past balance pass).

From what you have, I would say that a deck with a Stalker, Thunderbolt/Jagermech, Cataphract, and Firestarter sounds pretty good. LL stalker, UAC/5 Ilya, UAC/5 Jager DD, and a typical firestarter would give you mechs that are good at medium range, and aren't crippled at short or long ranges. The ballistic mechs will also do well on hot maps. Just to reiterate though, bring mechs that you are comfortable driving.

One last thing (more of a general tip for everyone): bring UAVs and Arty/Air strikes on every mech. Especially UAVs. A well placed UAV can easily shift the tides of battle.

#4 Moarginplz

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

From what you've got, I'd bring 2 stalkers, 1 centurion, and a firestarter. That's 255 tons. My usual drop deck on attacks is 2 stalkers, a hunchback, and a jenner, so we' be fairly similar.

The STK-4N with 4 ER Large Lasers is really popular in CW. I'm a terribad sniper, so I don't bother with it, but other people really like it. My Misery sees a lot of service in CW (2 L Pulse, 1 M Pulse, AC20), and I like the STK-5M (5 A-SRM6, 4 Med lasers) on close range maps. You can bring an LRM stalker on defense if you want to, but LRM's aren't worth the tonnage on attacks.

For the Centurion, the 9A with 3 A-SRM6's and 2 medium lasers is a lot of punch at 50 tons, and it tanks like a beast if you remember to torso twist. The Yen-lo might be better on a really hot map, it's up to you.

Then, I'd finish off with the FS9-S, meta build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users