18 replies to this topic

#1 rockspider

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

Hi all,

Very new player here (100 odd games). Just have a few random questions if no one minds....

I read that optimal builds have between 1.1 and 1.4 heat. Is that more or less correct?
If so why do many mechs when you buy them have like 0.8 or there abouts? It seems like they are purposefully running hot? Any reason for this? Or they are under gunned. Either or it seems the stock builds are mostly terrible.

Whats a good playing guide for preparing for CW? Is it really important to elite/master a mech before moving onto another mech?
Like for instance I got the nova... really enjoyed it but wanted some variation... IE I didn't want to get another nova to try elite it. So instead I got a heavy next... Is that not optimal? Should I rather just keep playing the same mech with different chasis and then move on?
I would like to know what sort of goal/levelling guide a new player would follow if they want to prepare for CW one day.

Is the main balance mechanic between IS and Clans the quirks system? (I mean to balance the fact that clans have better range and damage etc)

How many mechs should I own before I should consider playing CW? Do they all need to be master?

What are clans like in this community? Are they very elitist or forgiving of new players? Should I join one now or what till I have a few more mechs....

Could someone take a look at my stats and see if I am doing ok? Considering I have played 100 games more or less and my mechs aren't fully upped. I have started to improve which is evidenced by my cataphract stats. I regularly get over 300 damage and quite often over 500. What would be considered average in mediums and heavies.

Is there a limit to number of mechbays? How do I see how many I have?

I would like to focus on IS. Any decent mech packs I can buy for IS that would be useful in CW?

Pilot skill rating.... generally after post match screen it says it goes up. However my bar has never moved. Literally never moved. It sits at like 80% done of tier 5 and has not ever moved. Even after my best game of 778 damage. Is it bugged?

Lastly.... I saw on these forums that there are battle tech novels! I had no freaking clue. I have read the very first two novels. Are there any series I should look out for specifically? Any ones that I should avoid?

Many thanks if anyone takes the time to read or help.

Rock

#2 Moarginplz

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

I read that optimal builds have between 1.1 and 1.4 heat. Is that more or less correct?
If so why do many mechs when you buy them have like 0.8 or there abouts? It seems like they are purposefully running hot? Any reason for this? Or they are under gunned. Either or it seems the stock builds are mostly terrible.

The stock builds are what the mechs came with on the tabletop game, which had lower armor values than MWO does, so under-gunned in MWO could be decent on tabletop.

There isn't a limit on how many mech bays you can have, but you have to buy them with MC. You can get free ones as rewards for CW loyalty points as well, and there are periodically events where you can win MC for different challenges. Save your MC and then buy mech bays when they're on sale. Or, you can just buy some MC with real money, that works too.

The nova is a clan mech, so keep in mind that you won't be able to use it in CW if you're playing for an IS faction. I bought the Stalker mastery pack a long time ago, and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Jaegermechs are also good, as are thunderbolts, cataphracts, and firestarters.

There's a huge range of different units out there, some welcome new players, some only recruit experienced players. Check out the forum sections for each faction, see if you can get a few drops in as a guest with different units to see if you mesh well with the people there.

Your skill rating isn't very important as this point, so don't worry about it.

#3 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

Heat

Heat # is not always relevant . It depends on what weapon combinations you are using . If you were using Laser weapons only then you want to aim for 1.2 or higher . However a poking mech may sacrifice some DPS for Alpha Striking . (If you can stole the battle and Trade bigger Alpha strikes you may win with poor DPS)

Its very subjective . You only need enough Double heat sinks where you comfortable playing your build .

Obviously when you have too many weapons like 4 LRM10+5 Medium Lasers you have bad heat assuming that you shooting all weapons constantly . However LRM boats really do not worry too much about heat because Medium lasers are just kinda there as last resort self defense .

Don't worry so much about the number . Just make sure you not bottle necking your builds . Sometimes less weapons can have similar effect as many weapons . Nova for example has 12 energy hardpoints but that does not mean 12 Lasers is a good idea .

IS vs CL Mechs

Beside Inner Sphere bonuses IS Energy weapons tend to have lower heat or duration . Also Inner Sphere mechs can change engines ( it can be a d big downside but not always ) Shadowcat is a good example of a mech who suffers from locked engine because of odd place with tonnage he has left ( 2 LPL+ECM+3DHS ) Not very DPS efficient .

Clan AC are considered weaker at longer range because they shoot several projectiles for same damage . Thay can be better in close range so I would not give any side a definitive advantage .

LRMs aslo debatable . I think IS LRMs are a little better just because they shoot in groups which probably outweighs the fact that CLan LRM has no minimum range . However Clan mechs overall kinda make better LRM boats as a hole just because you get nice XL engines and Clan Medium Lasers are really good as last resort weapon .

Honestly it goes Mech by Mech . Its not so black and white . There are big spotlight mechs that I would consider overpowered on both sides .

Community Warfare

I see Veterans make fun of noobs in CW all the time . 12 Premade teams get free wins over randoms and justify it as Teamwork when obviously there is some power progression in this game . Although just because you have less experience in this game does not mean that we should have a system where Veterans can play against you and say that CW is only for "good players"

You will still loose CW agaist Premade Teams . I would not worry too much about it getting mechs maxed out . CW has few players and less new players who just want mech bays .

Sorry if I can't Take Community Warfare with barely 100 players during day seriously . More like 0.1% Club for farming mech bays . Honestly that attitude is going to kill this game unless PGI comes up with a way to make Faction Warfare a good place for entire community and not just 1/100 players who unlocked all trees,modules and has friends who did the same .

Mech Bays

When you in mechLab it will say how many you have on mid top screen . Mech bays 30/something .

Not sure about the limit . Kinda doubt it . If there is one I will never reach it .

Stats

I can't judge your skill just by stats . There are too many factors (damage stat is subjective) . If you can get 55-60% winrate alone over 500 games then you good player in my book .

Tier

Influenced by Win/Loss and Match Score . You get less or no boost if you do well in a loosing game .

It moves very slowly . Just because you got stats it does not mean you get many advancement points . You have to win a game and get high stats to get biggest boost .

Edited by MadCat02, 22 February 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#4 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Personally, I consider anything with less than 1.3 heat efficiency to mean that I'll need some extra effort into heat management. Stock builds come from the way that the mech was configured in the Battletech tabletop game and since turn-based games with dice rolling play differently from a first person shooter, different things work here than there.
I would highly suggest eliting a mech before you move on or even before you pass judgement of whether or not you like a mech. Not only do the elite efficiencies let you get things like fast fire (5% faster firing rate) and speed tweak (7.5% faster max speed) but completely eliting a mech doubles all of the basic efficiencies (i.e. even higher heat containment, torso twist speed, etc). This is when a mech really starts to shine. Additionally, this will let you eventually master the mech which gives you an extra module slot. As you play more and get rich enough to afford all those modules, you'll really want that slot.

PGI has tried to balance Clan weapons from Inner Sphere by changing the way they fire. You'll notice Clan LRMs fire each missile slightly offset from the last as opposed to the Inner Sphere ones which fire all at once (if you have the tubes). Similarly, Clan lasers burn longer than Inner Sphere ones and Clan ACs fire a number of projectiles which add up to the total damage whereas the Inner Sphere just fires one projectile that does full damage. Quirks are mostly just suppose to bring mechs considered subpar (either because of their shape or the role they fulfill) up to a fighting standard.

Ideally, you'll want at least 4 mechs for community warfare as most trial mechs aren't that great/fit in with your other mechs. They don't all need to be mastered but I'd at least have a solid feel for them.

Some units are welcoming of new players others aren't. You'll just have to poke around. For clarity, I'd refer to player groups as units and not clans since there might be confusion with the in-game Clan factions (i,e, Clan Wolf, Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear, and Smoke Jaguar).

I wouldn't worry about your Tier and the tier bar. The tier bar moves very slowly. You'll notice movement eventually if you consistently get the green up arrow instead of the red down arrow. Your stats sound fine. A general standard for pulling your weight is getting 300 damage and a kill. If everyone on the team does that then you should win. Some builds like "sniper" mechs (a gauss Shadow Cat or an ERPPC Panther) will often get less damage but ideally you're putting all of it where it matters. Conversely, a LRM boat will often get massive amounts of damage but you're splashing it all over the enemy mech so it's less impressive.

Last, I've only read about half a dozen Battletech novels but Michael Stackpole has a ***** for Davion and as a devote Liao supporter, I can't recommend that in good conscious. :P Just find what looks interesting!

#5 Magnumaniac

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 38 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

View Postrockspider, on 22 February 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Like for instance I got the nova... really enjoyed it but wanted some variation... IE I didn't want to get another nova to try elite it. So instead I got a heavy next... Is that not optimal? Should I rather just keep playing the same mech with different chasis and then move on?

As annoying as it can be, unlocking elite is essential to getting the most out of a mech:

1. Speed tweak is 7.5% top speed increase - every mech benefits from being faster
2. Weapon fire rate is useful in most situations (may be a curse if your build runs hot and you're in one of the hot maps)
3. Unlocking all elite skills on a mech doubles the effect of all the basic skills - yes, that means more cooling, more heat capacity, faster acceleration etc - this alone makes a fully elited mech seem like a very different experience.

Mastering mechs allows you to run an extra mech module - so you can have Radar Dep and Seismic sensors at the same time. Again, this is a big improvement and worth doing for any mech you enjoy playing.

#6 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

Well, Rock you asked a lot of questions. I'll answer the ones I can. Sorry I didn't read everyone else's spin.

First off you hit my #1 pet peeve. Heat, it is like a plague on this game. So many focused on high alpha strikes, and ignore DPS.
The heat management ratio, in my experience 1.3 is a good target. But, that is on an elite mech. Sadly the game mech lab doesn't compensate for skills or quirks :( I'd aim for 1.4 to 1.5 on non-elite mechs. The stock mechs are seldom competitive. Think of all of them as fixer upper houses.

Buying mechs: if you piece meal them, you will probably never be happy. To really know what a mech can do you need it elited/mastered, and that means buying 3 variants. The Cataphract and Nova are good mechs, that said I'd probably only master the Cataphract ;) But, the word on the street is the Warhammer is better, and for sure sexier :)

Some suggestions for you:
Warhammer standard pack = heavy mechs
Cicada mastery pack = medium mechs
Stalker mastery pack = assault mechs

Pilot skill rating
Well the system isn't perfect but it does work. Winning each game is very important, maybe to important.
You seem to be doing a good amount of damage. But damage can be misleading, some pilots can shoot all day and not finish a mech off. Learn the hitboxes of each mech to get more kills. Also, get a radar deprivation module ASAP.
Hit me up in game, I'll be glad to help ya.

#7 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hi all,

Very new player here (100 odd games). Just have a few random questions if no one minds....

The stock loadouts are using Single Heatsinks, and are based off of the stock loadouts of the 3025 era, where most actually good technology had been nuked out of existence almost everywhere (the Inner Sphere had to re-learn how to make Double Heatsinks, and every one of their Endo Steel manufacturing stations were destroyed during the succession wars, until someone found a big hard drive that had the plans to do those things again)

This is based on the lore of the franchise, and the tabletop game. Also,the mechs are built to be general purpose platforms, not specialized in 90% of the cases. We can optimize and customize our machines to their peak performance, very few mechs/pilots ever get to do that in lore, and almost every single one of them is a venerable legend.

Whats a good playing guide for preparing for CW? Is it really important to elite/master a mech before moving onto another mech?
I would like to know what sort of goal/levelling guide a new player would follow if they want to prepare for CW one day.

Here's what you really need for CW: 4 mechs that you're good with. I would encourage you to fully elite them, because eliting a mech gives a LOT of bonuses. In most cases I recommend always eliting a chassis before moving on to another one, simply for the bonuses.

One of the best things you can do to improve your CW experience is install Teamspeak 3. It's a free software that is amazing for VoIP coordination. Virtually everyone in MWO uses it, and it will allow you to coordinate with other players, even if you're not in the same group with them.

Is the main balance mechanic between IS and Clans the quirks system? (I mean to balance the fact that clans have better range and damage etc)

It's one of the mechanics used to balance. Balance is done in two ways: broad spectrum, like how certain weapons are mechanically different, and surgical, like quirks. We've reached a point in the balance process where broad spectrum adjustment is no longer useful. Instead, fine tuning each chassis/variant is the way to go now.

How many mechs should I own before I should consider playing CW? Do they all need to be master?

Honestly, 4 is what you need. As long as you can field a decent drop deck, you're good to go.

What are clans like in this community? Are they very elitist or forgiving of new players? Should I join one now or what till I have a few more mechs....

We call them Units (so as not to confuse them with "Clans", like Clan wolf). The overwhelming majority are the exact opposite of elitist, or whatever you ran into in other games. Most of the playerbase in this game are older people (as in 35+), so they
tend to be more mature, and more welcoming of new players.

I'd say the majority of units are actively looking for new players to join them. Even if you have no mechs of your own.

Could someone take a look at my stats and see if I am doing ok? Considering I have played 100 games more or less and my mechs aren't fully upped. I have started to improve which is evidenced by my cataphract stats. I regularly get over 300 damage and quite often over 500. What would be considered average in mediums and heavies.

We can't view your stats, they are personal. However, if you can consistently rack up those damage numbers, you're doing very well.

There is no limit on how many mechbays you can own (I personally know some people with over 200 mechbays, even though they don't have enough mechs to fill them)

You start with 4, and you can earn/buy as many as you want. (reaching rank 2 in loyalty to a faction in CW gets you a free mechbay, run through all 10 factions and you get 10 free ones easily that way)

I would like to focus on IS. Any decent mech packs I can buy for IS that would be useful in CW?

Hunchback, Jagermech, Thunderbolt. There are plenty of good ones, those are some of the best, to name a few. Blackjack is also excellent.

Pilot skill rating.... generally after post match screen it says it goes up. However my bar has never moved. Literally never moved. It sits at like 80% done of tier 5 and has not ever moved. Even after my best game of 778 damage. Is it bugged?

It moves in tiny amounts, and after some matches it will go down. If at the end it's going down as much as it is going up, you're not going to move much.

Lastly.... I saw on these forums that there are battle tech novels! I had no freaking clue. I have read the very first two novels. Are there any series I should look out for specifically? Any ones that I should avoid?

Many thanks if anyone takes the time to read or help.

Rock

Heir to the Dragon is one of the first that come to mind for me to recommend. There are literally dozens of BT novels out there.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 22 February 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi all,

Welcome to MWO. Lets address this in order. Note I have rearranged some of your questions to combine for relevance.

First I'd like to begin with MWO's "Heat efficiency" for a mech is meaningless b.s. Exactly how it is even measured is still a bit of a mystery. However I find that if your weapons are high damage per shot, 1.4 is okay. That's about 30 to 40% on Smurfy. If your weapons are "High frequency", that is more DPS oriented with faster firing rates what you really want is about 1.6 to 1.7. That's over 66% on Smurfy. See what I mean about MWO's scale? It doesn't add up.

Now, when you start talking about stock... what you're talking about is an entirely different game. Many stock builds are taken straight from the tabletop materials. These mechs are made in a system with costs, budgets, repair and rearm, battalions, budgets to crew, etc. An Atlas K with its XL engine costs only 13,000,000 something in MWO, in BT it is over 26,000,000.

You also have supply and demand. Difficulty producing things. And distances worth billions of distances around Earth between planets. Even with their version of "jumps" through space, it takes weeks to get from one solar system to another + days to the sun in each case.

For example
Spoiler

But... Lets not even go that far.
Lets just look at the basic, BASIC tabletop.

Stock build Crab 20.
35% heat efficiency in MWO.
Battletech Tabletop? 72.7272% heat efficiency.

Stock Awesome 8Q.
40% heat efficiency in MWO.
Battletech Tabletop? 84.8484% heat efficiency.

Same exact builds.
The difference is in BT Tabletop, the weapon stats are rated for "5 seconds," and a turn encompasses 10 seconds and typically you can only use one 'rating' per weapon unless you had special skills / traits / quirks (like the Enforcer's extended magazine gives its LBX two ratings per turn; officially it can fire twice as much as a normal LBX before having to reload).

PGI read "This is what the weapon does per rated use" and made it "This is what the weapon does every time it fires."

And thus an AC/20 being one rated use of 20 damage, 7 heat, in 5 seconds of use and reloading (which can fire anywhere from 2 to 100 bullets to make that single 'rating' of damage depending on manufacturer, ammunition, etc), 5 uses (so 10 to 500 bullets) per ton and an expected accurate range of landing all 2 to 100 bullets onto a target about 8 to 14 meters tall in spite of movement and recoil at 270 meters...

was magically produced into PGI's "BAM! 20 damage, 6 heat INSTANTLY with a 4 second reload (or less!), with 7 bullets per ton and can only do 100% damage at 270 meters and 0 damage at 540 (where BT's AC/20 can actually do 100% damage OR GREATER past that provided extreme accuracy roles and a HIGHLY skilled gunnery).

Continued...
Spoiler

What it boils down is 3x faster firing rates, high pinpoint damage (it's frontloaded in BT tabletop too so can't fault it though in the books it is pretty spread). Thus 3x the heat generation or greater. Surprise? Nope.

Questions not yet answered.
Spoiler

It is a mixture of things. IS weapons are more front loaded.
IS AC. BAM! Full damage. Clan AC, rat-tat-tat, split damage.
IS laser. Pew. Clan laser. Peeeew.
IS pulse, wub wub wub. Clan pulse laser, wha-wha-wha-wha.
Missiles are pretty similar. IS is Fwoosh with all the missiles, Clan is fwi fwi fwi fwi fwi fwi fwi fwi fwi with one at a time.
PPCs are pretty identical. Gauss is pretty identical.

Then you add in quirks and other goofiness.

The mentality they wanted was IS is pop-and-squat or up close ambushes. "Tactics."
Clan is either long range sharp shooties from the open or this for the "Zellbriggen" obsessed Clanners.

There is no limit to how many mechbays you can have other than money or how often freebies come around or running out of ranks to earn in CW. When you go into the game's store in the client, find "Mechbays" as a purchaseable item. The big number tells you how many you have.

This also works.
Posted Image

It levels based on match score and whether win or loss. Damage is only part of it, and really anyone can get high damage counts. Find a stationary enemy that is disconnected and shoot parts, easy 1,500 damage. Match score embodies many aspects. Someone will likely have the digits or the link available.

Will be back to answer the rest.

Edited by Koniving, 22 February 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

Sorry the edit took so long, XD.

#10 rockspider

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

Thank you for all the replies!

Im very happy with the gameplay etc. I guess its just the ideal grind path and builds that are confusing me atm.

The thing that seems not so optimal to me at the moment is that I have bought the cataphract right.

I loaded it with 4x med pulse lasers and a gause rifle. Im loving the playstyle. I got the skills except elite ages ago. So now basically I am earning exp on a mech I cant use the exp for. Whilst saving for a better engine. When I buy the engine I will have to keep playing it till I have enough cash to buy another chassis. So once again Id be playing it to farm cash and not being able to use the exp.

Or maybe I am grossly underestimating the cost of elite skills? Cause I have 18k exp on the thing atm. If one elite skill costs 10k then I guess its not wasted exp...?

Would you recommend getting the basic skills unlocked then immediately going for the next chassis? Then at a later stage come back and pimp your preferred chassis out with better engines etc. My OCD doesn't like leaving things half finished however.....

What do most people do with a series of chassis (cataphract for example). Do you pick the chassis that is optimal or one you prefer and just master that 1? And pimp it out how you like it? Then the other 3 you just play enough to skill up and leave? Or do you need all the chassis pimped for CW?

Its kinda slow starting from scratch. The 20m cbills you get from tutorials etc is like enough for two mechs and then after that.... slow $$$ grind Posted Image

Anyway.... rambling on.

Thanks again.

Edit: sorry think I am meant to be saying variants and not chassis.
Stats with cataphract so far (I think I am getting the hang of it): CATAPHRACT CTF-0XP 44 24 20 1.20 33 28 1.18 13,050 27,880
05:12:55

Edited by rockspider, 22 February 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#11 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

To purchase all four of your elite skills (and thus get the added bonus of doubling the effectiveness of the basic skills) you would need 21,500 mech or general experience points.

How you grind XP depends on your personal preference. Usually I try to grind as much XP as possible to make the later grind less problematic, but since I got the Origins IIC packs I just try to get all basics done on the variants first.

Usually when I am mastering a 'mech it is only one variant, and the others are more for just getting Elites unlocked for the 'mech I plan to master. However, if you haven't unlocked mastery for the heavy weight class yet, it would probably be a better idea for you to get two more Cataphracts to go with your 0XP and get the four elite skills for all three.

How Mastery works is that you need to purchase all of the elite skills on three 'mechs in a weight class. So since you have a Cataphract 0XP, you could unlock mastery by getting elites on the 0XP, the Cataphract 3D, and the Cataphract 4X. But if you don't like the other Cataphracts, you could unlock mastery by purchasing elite skills on two other heavy 'mechs (which in turn will need three variants with unlocked basics before you can begin purchasing elite skills).

Having 'mechs with all of their elite skills purchased is recommended for CW, since CW has no matchmaker (that I am aware of) so it is akin to making sure you're ready to jump into the deep end of the pool. If you are considering participating in CW, I would recommend looking into some lighter weight 'mechs you could use if you plan on using Cataphracts. You can only use four 'mech per CW match, and they have to fit within a certain range of tonnage.

Mastering a weight class is not entirely necessary, but an extra module slot can be useful in CW. Mastery itself costs 21,500 XP.

#12 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

Generally, what I used to do back in the days of old when all you had was the 4 mechbays unless you spent real money. I would look at a chassis, and check all the variants, then pick the top three I like, from those three, I pick which one is going to be my most favorite/ do best with, and I start from the worst one for me. Basic it fully, sell it, buy the next one, basic it fully, sell it, then buy the one I like most as my third. When I basic it fully, I get access to the elite skills, and thus I get to keep it, with full elites/mastery.

Also, you need the exact same amount of XP for each tier (21,500 XP if I am not mistaken). Also, you can always convert mech XP into GXP for MC. There are XP sales that happen quite regularly. I have a COM-2D with over a quarter of a million XP on it, I dip into that XP reserve every now and then to squeeze out more GXP, for modules, if I need it.

Now I am against selling mechs in this day and age, since you can get so many mechbays. Unless you really don't like the variant.

The grind can be tough, and can get annoying. However, it's doable.

#13 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 February 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

Also, you need the exact same amount of XP for each tier (21,500 XP if I am not mistaken). Also, you can always convert mech XP into GXP for MC. There are XP sales that happen quite regularly. I have a COM-2D with over a quarter of a million XP on it, I dip into that XP reserve every now and then to squeeze out more GXP, for modules, if I need it.

Now I am against selling mechs in this day and age, since you can get so many mechbays. Unless you really don't like the variant.

The grind can be tough, and can get annoying. However, it's doable.

I believe that it takes 13,500 to get all the basics, and then 21,500 for all elites, and mastery is 21,500.

I also suggest keeping as many mechs as you can, but as a new player I understand that mech bays are limited. Right now (with no sale) it would cost $15 for 10 mech bays. I do not find this to be much to spend on a game that I like, and those mech bays will be there forever, no matter how many mechs you cycle through them. That said, not everyone can afford even $15 all the time.

You already have 4 bays, and you seem to like the Cataphracts (so do I, I own all of them, including the IM hero and play them all regularly). You could pick up 2 more Cataphracts, I would suggest the 3D and the 1X, master them, outfit them all the best that you can, buy one more 50 ton mech (hunchie or Cent, IMO) and then get into CW with a unit. That will help you unlock a few more mech bays.

edit: Just to be clear, the CW dropship would hold 260 tons of mechs. 3 Cataphracts would be 210 tons, and then a 50 tonner to finish it off. It might not be the best dropship selection, but it would not be horrible, would fit with what you are already doing, should not be too terribly long of a grind, and would get you in a unit. Being in a unit will help you in MANY ways, not just in CW. Having experienced players to bounce ideas off of, people that will communicate with you in a drop, support you against incoming fire, etc. Joining a unit is a good way to go.

Edited by Tickdoff Tank, 23 February 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 23 February 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

I believe that it takes 13,500 to get all the basics, and then 21,500 for all elites, and mastery is 21,500.

I also suggest keeping as many mechs as you can, but as a new player I understand that mech bays are limited. Right now (with no sale) it would cost $15 for 10 mech bays. I do not find this to be much to spend on a game that I like, and those mech bays will be there forever, no matter how many mechs you cycle through them. That said, not everyone can afford even $15 all the time.

You already have 4 bays, and you seem to like the Cataphracts (so do I, I own all of them, including the IM hero and play them all regularly). You could pick up 2 more Cataphracts, I would suggest the 3D and the 1X, master them, outfit them all the best that you can, buy one more 50 ton mech (hunchie or Cent, IMO) and then get into CW with a unit. That will help you unlock a few more mech bays.

edit: Just to be clear, the CW dropship would hold 260 tons of mechs. 3 Cataphracts would be 210 tons, and then a 50 tonner to finish it off. It might not be the best dropship selection, but it would not be horrible, would fit with what you are already doing, should not be too terribly long of a grind, and would get you in a unit. Being in a unit will help you in MANY ways, not just in CW. Having experienced players to bounce ideas off of, people that will communicate with you in a drop, support you against incoming fire, etc. Joining a unit is a good way to go.

I'd recommend the Hunchback for the 50 tonner in that drop deck. Any of the ballistic ones with a Gauss Rifle would be just fine. Or use them with their optimized builds as your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th mech in the drop.

#15 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:32 AM

For skills i'd say basic minimum and elite to start for CW. Getting the higher tier skills make your life easier in said mechs.

I'd recommend at least owning 3-4 mastery sets (3 variants of a chassis) having a medium, light and heavy set would be good. FYI you can't use a Clan mech (your nova) for CW if you join a Inner Sphere House.

for mech weights i'd go:

Light" Jenners, Wolfhounds, Ravens.

Mediums: Cicadas *heavy lighs pretty much* Crab, Hunchback or Enforcer. I'd recommend the Crab out of the lot.

Heavies: harder since i'm more a lighter mechwarrior. Maruarder, Quickdraw, Rifleman. (others ay give you better options here)

Assualt: I'd avoid here as a beginner. Mauler is a good Assualt but that's only for MC or it's still only available from the store here.

"units" are what clans are called here. It all depends on the House you join. I'd recommend FRR since they are quite populated and if you get Team Speak you can go to their TS hub and find not only a Unit to join but people to play CW with.

for mechbays should be on the top of your screen when your looking at your mechs when selecting them in your garage.

hope this helps.

#16 rockspider

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

A few follow up random questions if no one minds:

1) If one buys the Kodiak pack now do you get the extras... IE... c-bills now? Or only when you get the actual Kodiak in May?
2) How long is the marauder pack available for? Would that be the best IS pack right now to buy in ppls opinion?
3) Do map temps affect your mechs heat generation and heat loss?
4) Ballistic weapons like the gause rifle... If it says 790m range does that mean if I shoot at 1km and see the shell hitting it doesn't actually do dmg? Or does it do reduced damage like lasers? Cause I can definitely hit ppl at that range....

Thanks again

Rock

Edit: I am looking to buy heavy packs for IS. Thoughts on best options currently before Feb ends. Thanks.

Edited by rockspider, 24 February 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#17 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

1) From what I recall, you receive the early adopter rewards (that includes the c-bills) when you get the package which would May 17th of this year.

2) The Marauder pack is recent, so you can pick it up no problem. I cannot say how good the 'mech is since I'm waiting for the Marauder to come out for c-bills, but from what I have heard the Marauder is okay.

3) Map do affect heat generation and dissipation on your 'mech. So your 'mech will run hotter and have a harder time cooling down on a hotter map (e.g. Terra Therma) than a colder one (e.g. Alpine peaks).

4) Ballistic weapons do reduced damage when your target is beyond the optimal range, doing zero damage at double the optimal range (in the gauss case you mentioned, it will do partial damage at 1,000 meters and 0 damage at 1,580 meters.

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostDan Baxter, on 24 February 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

4) Ballistic weapons do reduced damage when your target is beyond the optimal range, doing zero damage at double the optimal range (in the gauss case you mentioned, it will do partial damage at 1,000 meters and 0 damage at 1,580 meters.

Gauss is the only weapon with triple range. All ballistics have their max range at double their effective range. Except for Gauss. Max range for a Gauss rifle is triple it's effective range.

The IS Gauss Rifle has an effective range of 660 meters, up to 660 meters it deals 15 damage per shot. It deals 7.5 damage at 1320, and 0 damage at 1980.

#19 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

First (and I think this has probably been covered in the many walls of text above, but I like to type), to your CW concerns...

GO PLAY IT! Don't sweat taking in Trial mechs, if you have to. Be careful to only use the ones that are CHAMPION mechs (have the (C) after their model designation), though, as those builds were created and selected democratically (more or less) by members of this community, and are usually fair-to-good for the chassis/variant. It's IDEAL to have four mechs of your own, with at least the full set of ELITE skills unlocked for each. But if you're curious, and you've read-up the guides and watched the videos, then go ahead.

More important to CW than a deck of fully skilled and module-equipped meta-compliant mechs, though, is TEAMSPEAK! Find someone on a team, and try to get him/her to pull you in with a group. It'll be a FAR better experience for you that way. Failing that, find the faction TS hub (look in the Community Warfare subforum for details) for whatever faction you're playing in, and get together with some folks there. Being formally IN a team isn't all that necessary--some REALLY good players out there regularly drop as PUGs, because either they're not on a team or their team doesn't do CW (I'm thinking specifically of W A R K H A N here, and he is a pretty good cat-herder in addition to being a REALLY good mechwarrior). But still, being in communication with the other 11 players you're teamed up with? That's a HUGE force multiplier (NUTRITION IS A FORCE MULTIPLIER!).

As for IS mech packs that are useful to CW, I might recommend the recent Resistance 2 pack. All four of the mechs in that one have at least one GOOD variant, even if they're usually not the GREATEST.

Wolfhound: Light energy boat. Not QUITE a Firestarter. Decent speed, if not overwhelming. Lots of E hard points, and decent quirks to go with them. Decent hitboxes for a humanoid light. STD engine builds can seem almost indestructible in good hands.

Crab: I don't know what it is about this thing, but the CRB-27B has the highest KDR of any non-LRM mech I've ever piloted, hands-down. GOOD frontal silhouette, decent hitboxes, lots of E hard points. -27SL has jump jets. -20 has higher engine cap for ludicrous speed (though they all do pretty darned well for 50-ton IS mechs).

Black Knight: One of the truly GOOD IS energy boat heavies. Might not quite be a Thunderbolt, and can't do the dakka like Warhammer or Marauder, but it's survived being FotM and comes out the other end relatively strong.

Mauler: The IS finally gets another great dakka-boat assault. And this one isn't sporting the huge neon "SHOOT ME PLZ" sign like the KGC, and goes a little easier on your drop deck's weight limit. Some of these can boat 5x AC/5 without being unreasonable.

Add it up? 35 + 50 + 75 + 90 = 250. So that comes in 10 tons under the current DD tonnage upper limit, to run a deck with one of each. OR, you could run two Crabs and two Black Knights. Anyhow, the R2 pack gets you a full drop deck.

Or, buy the Thunderbolt Mastery Pack. Three of those (65 + 65 + 65 = 195) would be a strong enough base for the deck, plus a fourth mech up to 65 tons to round it out.

The first drop deck I ever ran? 240 ton limit for DDs, I had a Firebrand (Jagermech hero), Jester (Catapult hero), RVN-3L(C), and CPLT-K2. Actually ran that deck for a while. It wasn't half-bad, as long as I didn't have MS or 228 or SJR across from me. That was me coming back to MWO after about a 16-month break, during which I missed the WHOLE Clan shebang and the launch of CW. Clan Wave 1 had been announced but not yet delivered, when I left. I came back to Wave 3 available, as well as Resistance 1 and Urbanmech.

But also, don't let that DD tonnage upper limit shoehorn you into a deck you don't like. If you come in 10 or 20 tons under, but you are comfortable in the mechs in that deck, then run it. It's a game. It's meant to be enjoyed, not studied. WTF is this, GRAD SCHOOL AGAIN?!?!?! Already did that once, and it was worse BY FAR than Afghanistan...

Anyhoo...

Screw PSR. Disregard it. More important meter than that PSR meter, is your personal FUN METER. Is it pegged when you're in the middle of an intense night fight on River City? If so, then PSR be damned. Again, GAME, not FORMAL COURSE OF GRADUATE STUDY (which I'm heavily implying takes the enjoyment out of whatever the hell you're studying). So maybe it IS pure e-peen. In that case, just remember that it's not the size of the wave that matters, but the motion of your mechtastic ocean. Go get ya freak on!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users