Acceptable Scores

52 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

Hello all

(from this point on when I refer to scores I mean damage)

Ive had a run of ups and downs recently in-game with scores ranging from an embarrassingly low 63 to the occasional 800+ and even rarer 1000+. I realise it’s not all about damage, but humour me please.

That being said, I know that I don’t see those kind of scores on a regular basis and I thus I set myself a damage target that I like to achieve each match. If I fall below it I feel like I’ve not contributed (unless I got multiple kills) and if I match or exceed it Im happy.

For me this target is 300 in mediums, 350 in lights and heavies and 450 in assaults. I like to aim for two kills, but am happy with one. Ok, I’m not exactly reaching for the stars here, but for me it’s a realistic target given that Im a casual player that plays only in the pub queue.

I was wondering what you would consider to be an acceptable score in game for

a) Yourself?
B) For others?
c) Do you even care?

If you dont mind sharing it, it would be interesting to include your tier in your reply to see what affect tiers have on expectations.

Your thoughts, replies, suggestions etc welcome.

Edit added........I dont always achieve these scores of course, but its my yard-stick

Edited by Soultraxx, 24 February 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#2 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:27 AM

Did you win?

If yes your score was sufficient
If no your score is unacceptable.

#3 MrMadguy

• 2,202 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:28 AM

This match is acceptable for me for Assault 'Mech. Everything, that is lower - is considered as bad match.
Posted Image
Posted Image
P.S. Please note, that XP was doubled due to DoubleXP event - actually it's around 1K.

#4 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,956 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

If you got less than 100 damage in a light, that is your fault.
If you got less than 100 damage in a medium, that is your fault.
If you got less than 100 damage in a heavy, I'm willing to bet that is your fault too.
If you got less than 100 damage in an Assault, that is your team's fault for leaving you to die.

#5 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

I used to measure in damage but now I look at the match score to judge other's contribution to the match.

For me anything above 150 is acceptable and "you did your part". Below 100 and you were a liability to your team.

Mind you my standards are low considering you need 250 score with a loss to break even with psr movement.

#6 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

1> Averaged 450-550 while solo.
2> Other players stats should show averaged dmg at around 500. But they usually won't.
3> Pug life

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

My hunch is that if everyone in the team did about 300 damage, that'd start to be enough for a win. So somewhere around 300 is "acceptable" to me -- a little less or more depending on the 'Mech's weight class. Of course in practice you have often have people who die with <100 damage, and others will have to carry more.

IMO if you continuously do 500, it's a pretty sure indication that your current Tier is too low.

#8 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

It isn't so much about damage, but about "focused" damage.

For example, when I was shooting to get above a 5000+ damage game in Community Warfare, I actually ended up needing to intentionally spread my damage. Using two 4x ERLL mechs in my dropdeck (WVR-6K & QKD-5K), I would shoot CT first, but then wiggle the crosshair back and forth from LT to RT. This drastically allowed me to inflate my damage numbers because whenever I would do focused damage, my team (no matter how terrible) would generally finish them off, and the game would be over far before I reached my goal.

Focused damage is doing damage that directly contributes to taking a mech down in the quickest, most efficient way possible. Usually this means strictly CT, but depending on the mech it could also be one of the side torsos or legs.

A full 12man comp team with very good focus fire may stomp the enemy team in 2min, but in terms of damage and kills, it's usually very even, with each player averaging between 250-350 damage and 1-2 kills.

When it comes to pulling your weight for the team, as long as you get 200-250 points of focused damage, and at least 1 kill, then nobody can fault you, as you did the average amount of damage it takes to kill one mech, and took down your "opposite" on the other side. In CW, with each player having 4 mechs, the minimum you want to shoot for is 1000 damage and 4 kills by the end of the match.

There obviously hasn't been any scientific studies on this, but these numbers are a good estimate based off game mechanics, average team tonnages, and a reasonable margin for error in aiming. I'm sure if someone gathered a ton of post-match screenshots, averaged the total team damage, and divided it by 12, it would be pretty close to the numbers above.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 24 February 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

Hello all

Ive had a run of ups and downs recently in-game with scores ranging from an embarrassingly low 63 to the occasional 800+ and even rarer 1000+. I realise it’s not all about damage, but humour me please.

That being said, I know that I don’t see those kind of scores on a regular basis and I thus I set myself a damage target that I like to achieve each match. If I fall below it I feel like I’ve not contributed (unless I got multiple kills) and if I match or exceed it Im happy.

For me this target is 300 in mediums, 350 in lights and heavies and 450 in assaults. I like to aim for two kills, but am happy with one. Ok, I’m not exactly reaching for the stars here, but for me it’s a realistic target given that Im a casual player that plays only in the pub queue.

I was wondering what you would consider to be an acceptable score in game for

a) Yourself?
Posted Image For others?
c) Do you even care?

If you dont mind sharing it, it would be interesting to include your tier in your reply to see what affect tiers have on expectations.

Your thoughts, replies, suggestions etc welcome.

anything over 250 damage in anything over a light I consider "ok"
250-350 is "decent"
350-450 is "good"
anything voer 400 is "really good"
lol

I say 250 damage because it's widely accepted that in CW 1000 damage is your "benchmark" for decent damage output which averages to 250 per mech.

So anything above 250 damage is "acceptable" in my book although doing 300+ tends to be what I shoot for even if I don't get it.

#10 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:57 AM

View PostAresye, on 24 February 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

It isn't so much about damage, but about "focused" damage.

For example, when I was shooting to get above a 5000+ damage game in Community Warfare, I actually ended up needing to intentionally spread my damage. Using two 4x ERLL mechs in my dropdeck (WVR-6K & QKD-5K), I would shoot CT first, but then wiggle the crosshair back and forth from LT to RT. This drastically allowed me to inflate my damage numbers because whenever I would do focused damage, my team (no matter how terrible) would generally finish them off, and the game would be over far before I reached my goal.

Focused damage is doing damage that directly contributes to taking a mech down in the quickest, most efficient way possible. Usually this means strictly CT, but depending on the mech it could also be one of the side torsos or legs.

A full 12man comp team with very good focus fire may stomp the enemy team in 2min, but in terms of damage and kills, it's usually very even, with each player averaging between 250-350 damage and 1-2 kills.

When it comes to pulling your weight for the team, as long as you get 200-250 points of focused damage, and at least 1 kill, then nobody can fault you, as you did the average amount of damage it takes to kill one mech, and took down your "opposite" on the other side. In CW, with each player having 4 mechs, the minimum you want to shoot for is 1000 damage and 4 kills by the end of the match.

There obviously hasn't been any scientific studies on this, but these numbers are a good estimate based off game mechanics, average team tonnages, and a reasonable margin for error in aiming. I'm sure if someone gathered a ton of post-match screenshots, averaged the total team damage, and divided it by 12, it would be pretty close to the numbers above.

This is the other side of it.

400 damage is decent right?
Not so much when all that damage is split between 12 mechs.

#11 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:29 AM

A bad match for me is under 500 damage for nearly all my mechs, but it also depends on the mech.

In my Raven's I expect to do about 100-300 if I'm lucky (Been playing them the last few days).
Most IS lights, about 500.
Most clan lights, about 300.
Jagermech JM6-S, around 500-800 is average.
Most IS heavies around 500-800.
Most Clan heavies around 300-600.

It really depends on the mech being used, and it's also why PSR is meaningless.

#12 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

Hmmm.

A. 600
B. 300-400
C. It really depends on what you and your team are up against, what map and what builds everyone's using - Many, many factors.

Posted Image

Edited by DrxAbstract, 24 February 2016 - 02:38 AM.

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

High damage scores are an indicator of two things either your team were junk and you carried with more than 6 kills or you were bad and spread damage.

Killing mechs quickly and efficiently is what you should strive to do

#14 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

Too many actions that pushes the odds to your teams favour or just simply good teamplay, looking at you narcing lights, have jack to do with high damage. So ye, for me damage means nothing and in this regard, anytime i do a bunch of damage and loosing the match i dont consider it a great match at all.

#15 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 24 February 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

High damage scores are an indicator of two things either your team were junk and you carried with more than 6 kills or you were bad and spread damage.

I'd prefer if my team all did above 300 damage than 150, spread damage or not. Most kills are through CT anyway and it does take quite some damage to chew through the CT of heavy mechs, which the queue consists of to around 65%.

Edited by Torgun, 24 February 2016 - 03:02 AM.

#16 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:08 AM

It just depends on the mech and the loadout. Overall, I just try not to get under 100 Posted Image .

#17 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

depends on the mech and build actually. Running around in a streakcrow or some quirked lrm boat you can build up damage numbers between 400-600 pretty easily without doing much for the outcome of a game. The typical sandblasting mech.

On the other hand, some high PP alpha mechs can kill a mech with not even 100 damage costs.

Both types have their use on the field so in the end it is a personal question what you think is a good match.

#18 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 24 February 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

A tactic easily thwarted by anyone using torso twist and jump jets to spread damage. Unless there are multiple firing lines on a target that can hit the desired component from every angle, chances are you're going to have to go through an arm or two and possibly a side torso or leg before finishing off the spot you're trying to hit. Your opponent's ability to spread damage is just as much a factor as your ability to be 'quick and efficient', especially when you need to keep the pressure on and cant sit there twiddling thumbs until the ideal opportunities present themselves.

#19 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 24 February 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

You are doing it wrong.

#20 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

400 Damage.

Win or lose, if you do 400 damage you pulled your weight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users