Banshee -Ac5 Version

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

So, when they were on special, i bought the 3 non hero banshees.

As predicted, the laser-boat is easily my best, although I run it with 2lpl, 5 med lasers.

Not as predicted, the one with a missile hardpoints is my next best, and a close contender with 6ml, ac20, and srm6. Alpha when I'm cool, shield and evade when I'm not. To be fair this mech doesn't live long in a brawl, but it takes 1-2 mechs with it and generally does 400dmg. Not my best, but okay, and fun to play with.

The third one, however, with 4 ballistic hardpoints and ac5 quirks has me a little stumped. I ran 4ac2 and a couple of large lasers, and while I sometimes did okay, was generally outclassed by other dakka mechs.
3 ac5 I am finding kinda awkward. The rate of fire is too fast to shield, too slow to dakka. Also I'm running either a std300 to fit in large lasers or a std345. Either way it feels slow and cumbersome.

Advice welcome on builds and playstyle!

#2 Thunderchild

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Well, the AC5she has 15% bonus on cooldown by default, and adding fastfire and cooldown module nets you another 15% for total of 30 which gives you the 3xAC5 salvo every 1.16 seconds.

Think of it as "gauss on demand". It's slower but it fires much much faster then the regular gauss. I know people run it somewhere along this lines:

BNC-3E

Can drop the engine to 345 to get extra ton and cram some more ammo, but I find that 60 ammo per AC5 is sufficient, so 210 gives you 10 per AC5 spare.

#3 ELETTRO

• PipPip
  • The Demon
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cdf3a35809fcabd[/smurfy]

I run the build above . Slow , need practice on positioning .
Don't go first , move on the edge of the maps near cover , target on distance and you will be like the tor's hammer.
AC5 as primary weapon with the ppc's when you'r cool.
Devastating build .. sometimes is frustating when you drop in caustic and frozen city and team start nascar...

#4 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Why don't you see if you can fit 2 x AC5's and 2 x AC2's in there. Using an AC5 cooldown skill module will ensure a constant stream of dakka on target.

#5 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

Have you tried a 2 UAC5 + 2LL type build? It's essentially a Firebrand Jager flipped sideways.

I would try sticking two machine guns in there, then two UAC5s. The machine guns will occupy the lower two slots and the UAC5s will be high on the shoulder. So instead of three AC5s (two mounted low, one mounted high), you have two high mounted UAC5s. If you don't want to risk jamming, just hold down the button or don't double tap it once you let go. I personally find the double fire is better in the long run, but that's the pilot's prerogative and can be situational. I find that the high mounts are really useful because there are quite a few situations where your two low guns on the three AC5 build would be useless because of terrain or cover. Plus, you don't have to put ammo in the machine guns if you don't plan on using them.

In the other torso, put a small laser in so your next lasers will be bump to the high shoulder mount. Then, put in two Large Lasers (or ERLL, though it'll be hot). Finish by putting a medium laser in the head. And there you have it. Two UAC5s, two large lasers, and one medium laser, all with great hardpoint locations and you basically can hit whatever you see so long as you are in range! Never be cockblocked by terrain again! Remember, you don't have to use the small laser or machine guns.

Of course, the weakness is that Inner Sphere "DPS facetime dakka" type builds may be outgunned by clanners doing the same thing. So you might as well take some of the armor off the arms because you ideally won't be in a situation that requires much twist-brawling. Use the weight for extra ammo, heatsinks, or a faster engine. You can also take the head-laser out, but I always roll with one in the Banshee because it is a super-high mount and at least you can still fight if you lose both side torsos.

Give it a try

#6 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

I ran elletro's build (or close to it -I had a std345 engine) and I liked it. Yes, slow, but ppcs on chain fire gave me something to shoot between the ac5s. As stated, slow as a wet weekend, but the ppcs made it seem to be always firing. Just to confirm - you use the ac5s linked, not on chain fire - I wondered if the strem of Fire, while more spread out might be more intimidating.

These other builds... 2ac5 and 2 ac2 - would it be any diffferent - still going to be outshone by other Dakka builds - clan and king crab. Willing to try it.

The ultras... Interesting concept sacrificing tonnes for higher mounts. Have you tried it? Seems like it will be inefficient, and the firepower ends up being similar to a k2 or cataphract... But with armour instead of speed.

Any tips on play style for these last 2.

Thanks heaps for your advice!!

#7 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

I used to run the UAC/LL build quite often, but like you I've just come to prefer the laserboat or AC20 brawler variants.The Ac2/5 version jonfett suggested is also good.I think the key to playing these is really awareness, much moreso than the other builds. If you have an open target you should pour in as much damage as you can. biut as soon as you feel you're being focused, you need to fall back immediately.

Of course the best situation is that you aren't focused in the first place, but the Banshee attracts a lot of fire (and many will expect a 90 tonner to be absorbing damage). If you're being plinked with an AC2 or scraped with a way out of range laser (and there's no LRM warning), you might be able to afford staying out there longer, because most enemies at long range will back down from a dakka Banshee. But getting into a staring contest with a DWolf or King Crab is usually bad news. You can beat the King Crab with cover because his arms are so low and wide, and maybe for the Dwolf depending on what he's got in the torso/arms. Ironically, you won't likely be able to beat them when both of you have clear firing lanes, which is where the dakka Banshee can probably pulverize anything else.

I would aim for distracted enemies, avoid 1 v 1 shootouts with over dakka mechs. Because even if you win you'll be severely damaged. Pay attention to what your team is shooting at and try to finish it off. If your targets are falling then you can push forward. Otherwise, be ready for return fire and know when to duck. The Banshee is also quite good for being a deterrent by simply sitting in a firing line. Some people will just avoiding you if they see you there. This can be good for establishing map control. But, you'll be quite vulnerable Gauss/PPC peekers. And, should the enemy decide the push, you won't last long if you hang around.

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 24 February 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#8 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

This isn't meta, but DAMN it's fun:

BNC-3E

2 LB10Xs, 4 MLs.

#9 Dimzi

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

I've had good success with this build in the 3E:

BNC-3E

Put your LPLs in the high mounted hardpoints on the right torso. You can continue to fire AC-5's while cooling down so it deals solid damage. It is expensive to set up but can be modified a bit to use the XL370 from the 3M if you have it.

#10 YaKillinMeSmalls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

The triple AC5 Banshee is quite nice on Vitric Forge. Might be outclassed now by the Mauler, though.

#11 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 24 February 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

This isn't meta, but DAMN it's fun:

BNC-3E

2 LB10Xs, 4 MLs.

Totally agree, this was one of my favorite Banshee builds, double barrelled shotgun
Here was my build, I liked having an ER LL for ranged sniping since both the LBX and MLs are fairly short effective range.
BNC-3E LBX, ERLL, ML

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users