Options For Giving Second Life To My Hot As Hell Stk-5S Build?

10 replies to this topic

#1 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

My 5xLPL STK-5S loadout, which seemed OK to me on paper, turned out to be pretty much a failure. 200-300 damage and I'm destroyed while shut down due to overheating (and no, I don't fire more than 3 LPLs at once, other than by mistake). So I'm thinking of downgrading to MLAS and augmenting my long-range ability with my favorite LRM 10s: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...619d2b8a2c42627

Almost the same brawling DPS with the medium lasers, except I won't have to shutdown to cool off every second volley. But my ranged DPS is way higher with LRMs, the range is twice longer, and I no longer need line of sight.
Thoughts?

Alternatively, I could drop 2 lasers (that I can't really use anyway) and go nuts on heatsinks: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b571c3669076e5

That bumps up my sustained DPS from 4.6 to 5.9, and deprives me of ability to die to ghost heat, while also upping my movement speed. But because the engine is bigger, I can't really go and test this build right away (because C-bills). What I can do is keep the 275 engine at the cost of one heatsink.

P. S. But I can't just remove endo-steel, can I? I'll have to pay full price again if I want to put it back, right?

#2 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

I recommend 4x LPL + 2x MedLas. Sustained DPS is basically the same on paper, and the free tonnage allows for an engine upgrade. Technique in combat uses 3 weapon groups: 1 = Left Side, 2 = Right Side, 3 = Arms.

Also on Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous, you get charged CBills for both removing the upgrade and for putting it back on. Ferro is cheaper, but you should avoid toggling either one if you're trying to save bills.

Edited by ProfessorD, 21 February 2016 - 01:30 AM.

#3 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

I like to use SRMs for brawling, but it's been over a year since I used the stalkers.

Std 300, 18DHS, 4x ML, 2x LP, 3x SRM6 (4t ammo)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c316db7eec1a96c
It would be even better with artemis, but then you would need to reduce the maximum firepower.

Removed 2x ML and some armor on legs and left arm and moved everything to the right side:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e50ac95625d8eb5
More sustained DPS, but 10 less maximum damage.
The better heat efficiency might save your mech in a brawl.

#4 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

3LL 3mpl 4srm4 @ 61ish kph.

I think you can roll with artemis on this too

My 3f runs 3ml 2lpl 4 srm4 heatsinks and 61ish too

Now that i think about it maybe this has arty

Enjoy

#5 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

I run almost all my stalkers with some sort of SRM armament to alleviate the close range heat problems.

#6 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

Id go with this, http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf9f5f44d6057d6

#7 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

you guys are so lame in strapping as much large lasers as possible...

#8 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

STK-5S

Benefits of the ML range increase, beam duration, and missile heat gen quirks.

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

How about STK-5S?

4 MPL, 4 SRM4, 2 LPL. 80.40 alpha with no possibility of ghost heat. Use LPL for longer ranges, MPL + SRM for brawling.

#10 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

It's all kinda usable in quickplay, but even with SRMs I was unable to do more than 200 dmg with STK-5S in CW. I'm starting to think only LRMs can save this mech. After all, everything is better with LRMs!

Edited by DavidStarr, 22 February 2016 - 09:55 PM.

#11 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

Don't use lrms!! There are better, more fun ways!!
The downside of energy weapons is always heat. Lpl are o e of the hottest (erppc is worse). You either need to get really good at heat management (set up a chai fire weapon group) or mix it with missiles (or ballistics if you had them).

For the stalker...
4srm4 for close range. Better spread and cool down than Srm6 means you can get away with no Artemis. Much cooler than lpl.
3-4 large lasers. Erll if you like.

The other stalker (4n?) suits large lasers better.

I find that meds and lpl on stalkers are too short ranged. I find that ppcs, large lasers and erll suit it better. It is slow in a brawl and won't last long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users