Dear Last Light Mechs That Run Away

93 replies to this topic

#1 Khosumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 136 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

Here is an exerpt of the MWO Code of Conduct (Yes, it applies to you too!)

All pilots have access to a Shutdown command for their ‘Mechs, mapped by default to the ‘P’ key and listed as ‘Toggle Power’ in the keyboard menu.
The primary benefit to shutting down your ‘Mech is that it will no longer appear on enemy radar. In the deciding moments of a close match with few ‘Mechs left standing on the battlefield, effective use of the shutdown mechanic and/or evasion tactics has the potential to provide you with the following benefits:
  • Breaking a target lock
  • Appearing ‘heat neutral’ on maps where Thermal Vision might commonly be used
  • Presenting on opportunity for staging an ambush
  • Evading detection long enough to secure a win through Conquest points
  • Evading detection long enough to secure a timer expiration win when you have superior numbers, in circumstances where you may be too critically damaged to otherwise risk a direct engagement with the enemy
The above situations are considered to be within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended to be used for.
There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:
  • Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
  • Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
  • Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

So next time you draw out a match for no reason that will not make you win, don't be offended when someone reports you as AFK. Because it's the right thing to do.

#2 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

It's not just light mechs.

#3 Khosumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 136 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostWolfways, on 24 February 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

It's not just light mechs.

Thank you very much for that obvious bit of information, captain obvious. Lights are the one that do it the most.

#4 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

I'll run and take up better positions to attack you if I have the range. But, in a Skirmish, it is up to you to track them down. THAT isn't against the TOS.

#5 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

OP is talking about those (usually small lights) that want to pad their kdr and deliberately shutdown somewhere or avoid enemies with ecm and their speed.

They're not positioning for better firing angles, they're not trying to keep the enemy at long range in order to kill by a thousand cuts.

They're deliberately avoiding any and all enemies to draw out the round presumably for their kdr.

If I see a (usually light) mech doing that I'm gonna warn them in chat to do something, anything, then gonna call out their position in chat. Reporting does nothing.

#6 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

At least you warn them or ask if they have a plan first. I've had two times where I was actually seeking better position and had team mates call out my position. Had they simply asked I could have told them what I was doing... should I have better communicated with my team myself.. you could make that argument but both times I was pretty preoccupied with, you know.. being alive and trying for a better target shot while they were spectating, quite dead. :) So thank you for extending the courtesy and warn them first!

#7 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

was this bit added lately? So can i report where they are when im in the game, because it happens often enough.

#8 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostMorggo, on 24 February 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

At least you warn them or ask if they have a plan first. I've had two times where I was actually seeking better position and had team mates call out my position. Had they simply asked I could have told them what I was doing... should I have better communicated with my team myself.. you could make that argument but both times I was pretty preoccupied with, you know.. being alive and trying for a better target shot while they were spectating, quite dead. Posted Image So thank you for extending the courtesy and warn them first!

I typically say something to my team if I'm doing some crazy maneuver like that. They usually still don't like it and cry, but they don't understand lights, so whatever, they can keep crying.

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostEthak, on 24 February 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Here is an exerpt of the MWO Code of Conduct (Yes, it applies to you too!)

So next time you draw out a match for no reason that will not make you win, don't be offended when someone reports you as AFK. Because it's the right thing to do.

How does someone get reported for being AFK when playing the game?

AFK = away from keyboard, It's commonly used in multiplayer games and chat rooms to let other players know that you will be unavailable for a short time (away from keyboard).

So I don't know how that'd apply to the rules...

#10 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostLordhammer, on 24 February 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

was this bit added lately? So can i report where they are when im in the game, because it happens often enough.

It's been there since Steam release, no one reads anything though. It's against TOC for them to hide in the manor OP described, but it's also against TOC to report a friendly's position under any circumstances. So whatever, too many problems with this game, I've moved on. Till a year from now when I need my Mechwarior fix.

#11 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

I've ratted our my own team members for doing this. Especially if it's obvious they have no chance.

#12 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 24 February 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

How does someone get reported for being AFK when playing the game?

AFK = away from keyboard, It's commonly used in multiplayer games and chat rooms to let other players know that you will be unavailable for a short time (away from keyboard).

So I don't know how that'd apply to the rules...

In game it's technically referred to as "non-participation." If you leave during the match, you may get reported. If you make a habit of leaving mid-match and screwing your team, PGI my say something, probably not, but maybe.

View PostRaso, on 24 February 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

I've ratted our my own team members for doing this. Especially if it's obvious they have no chance.

As long as they're trying, you really shouldn't. I got my first "ace of spades" by soloing the last 6 enemy mechs in my crippled Mist Lynx. Lights can do some pretty crazy stuff some times. Part of the strategy is to hide in order to spread out the enemy, in order to get 1v1 fights. People who don't play lights don't understand.

#13 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

View Postadamts01, on 24 February 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

In game it's technically referred to as "non-participation." If you leave during the match, you may get reported. If you make a habit of leaving mid-match and screwing your team, PGI my say something, probably not, but maybe.

As long as they're trying, you really shouldn't. I got my first "ace of spades" by soloing the last 6 enemy mechs in my crippled Mist Lynx. Lights can do some pretty crazy stuff some times. Part of the strategy is to hide in order to spread out the enemy, in order to get 1v1 fights. People who don't play lights don't understand.

Yeah, that part I understand, but OP says people will get reported for AFK by prolonging a game when playing as a light.

And yes, Mist Lynx brings back fond memories, when back then before wave 3 I played it at 1:00 AM at night, racking kills with a PPC and ECM on stalkers, Centurions, and more. AND people liked it :D

#14 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

& people are still scratching their heads wondering why nobody plays lights...

#15 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

i havn't seen a single person do this since i moved to tier 2 several months ago

there ya go - something to look forward to once you move up 1 more tier

#16 XFellDragonX

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts
  • LocationU.S. California.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

I've only ever seen this happen rarely maybe I have good team mate luck, but when someone does hide like that I always report there's no excuse to run from a battle unless you're disarmed or it will win the match in conquest.

Especially in a game where KDR means nothing, there are some cases where they might be going for better position and that's fine, but hiding and shutting down when you're last in the match is just dumb.

#17 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 24 February 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

i havn't seen a single person do this since i moved to tier 2 several months ago

there ya go - something to look forward to once you move up 1 more tier

Ya it's mostly a scrub tactic -- not seen much at all with more skilled teams.

#18 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

I haven't seen this happen( the hide and power down) in months and months now. On the rare occasions i did see it before that, a simple "c'mon man, you gotta try somthin'" was generally enough prodding to get them to power up and such. Once they did, I simply reported what I knew of the enemy and suggested a foe to try to take down in glory.

But, as the norm, some butthurt team mate that wanted to play now now now would call out their position while they were running in an obvious direction to take a fireing point and rescout the enemy positions. Once you do that, even once, it become almost impossible to rejuke the enemy mechs and try a new angle for attack because they will take an intercept course and fan a bit to make sure they snare you.

So you know what? If the last light is actualy running away... you know, doing ANYTHING, leavem be, maybe tell them which enemy has that juicy red CT open, something. Be a teammate instead of a spoiled brat entitled **** about it. If they power down around a corner right near the enemy, give them a minute to see if they power back up if the enemy doesn;t see them. it just might be they are trying to hide in plain sight so they can escape to harrass at range again.

If they run and run, then power down in a ravine, warn them and then report. But honestly, I havent seen anyone do that in at least 4 months. The only things I have seen worthy of calling out a grid has been spawn point afk's.

#19 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

This is why the Skirmish game mode was a bad idea. I don't care how much people hated getting base-capped in Assault because they refused to engage the objective - putting together a game mode tailor f***ing made for assbag Spider pilots to play "Can't catch me!" for eight minutes at the end of any given match was not the solution.

Unfortunately, you can never convince anyone around here that trolls are different from people trying to fight. They all point out "but this one time I killed four enemy 'Mechs as the last lone light, so you're WRONG!" and expect that to fly. Well, guess what, folks?

WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT, OR TO YOU.

You. All. Know. EXACTLY. What the OP is talking about. You've seen it, you've fought* it, you've cussed at it. We're not talking about Valiant Last Stands™. We're talking assbag trolls in assbag Trollders who've done eighty damage the whole match, and who seem to live for the illicit thrills of pissing off twenty-three other players by running around uselessly with no hope of winning and no intent to engage in combat, trying to incite maximum nerdrage before their fifteen minutes elapses.

Those guys are breaking the CoC. And it's time and well past time that people stopped letting them.

#20 Khosumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 136 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 24 February 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yeah, that part I understand, but OP says people will get reported for AFK by prolonging a game when playing as a light.

You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about lights only, but they are the ones that are prone to do it the most. Anyone can do it.
If you see someone being shut down in a corner, you might as well just walk away from your keyboard as you're not doing anything. At all. Hence "AFK".

View PostTrauglodyte, on 24 February 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'll run and take up better positions to attack you if I have the range. But, in a Skirmish, it is up to you to track them down. THAT isn't against the TOS.

It is actually up to the faster unit to try and track down the rest, as he has the ability to run and hide forever.

We need a "Combat Evasion" report option.

Edited by Ethak, 24 February 2016 - 03:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users