96 replies to this topic

#81 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

He basically said that cheaters should keep cheating and those that were scared away should come back. No bans incoming because we need to hit a certain percentage of cheaters before taking action. No action to be taken. Never shuld have brought it up last month because something came up. Can't say what though because it is fluid.

Russ is a perfect example of how to talk but never say anything

#82 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

Let's conclude this thread with some appropriate media

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Torgun, 27 February 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#83 Ockish Buhl

Rookie

• The Steadfast
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

I don't think the lost revenue is "the" issue for PGI.

Fist off they don't see it as a big issue because they cannot detected all the hacks and don't realize how many there are.

Second, I think it's the internal resource cost to address the issue that has them shirking it. I agree the cheaters are typically also big spenders, but many of them will also create another account and spend even more to get back into the game after being banned. Besides many who are disgusted with the cheaters are big spenders too.

In my opinion there should be assets within PGI to address this in a routine and ongoing fashion. There should be ban waves once a week or once a Month, the schedule should be established and reoccurring. I believe that this could be set up in such a way as to be a simple task that would not cost a fortune in highly skilled labor.

The point is that there has to be some deterrent or it will continue to grow. People have to have confidence in the game or investing their time and money in it just makes them feel like fools.

#84 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Hmmm... thoughts...

1.Everyday someone screams how the sky is falling.

2. It is no secret that Steam as a platform is rife with cheaters

3. Steam numbers dropping off are regularly presented as proof of 1.

And yet absolutely zero thought is given by anyone to the not unlikely possibility of enough Steam players having dropped the game that the cheating issue truly isn´t significant anymore..... Posted Image

Don´t get me wrong, cheaters should be drawn and quartered (public shaming at it´s best with a side of torture and death), but all I see here are a lot of people that don´t have access to the actual numbers throwing out random 2d10 rolls as factual percentages and 5d10 rolls as factual playercounts, and then just going off those numbers, in some cases with "math" that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up....

Until we as a community have actual numbers from PGI, any sepeculation about the actual number of cheaters or thousands of lives it ruins are exactly that: Speculation.

In the meantime you can either believe PGI and push on, or not believe them and quit... everything else is a waste of time and oxygen.

Edited by Zerberus, 27 February 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#85 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have some idea why the change of tune to.

If I were to make a guess I would say it has something to do with profiling.

I mean if someone or more than one were publicly caught hacking a game and abusing 100's if not thousands of players, for months if not years, could it effect their real life job in any way? DUN DUN DUN. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 February 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#86 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Can we start banning the mangy gits that keep making threads about a ban wave tomorrow...?

Banning people who are cheating is not going to make you better at the game, and I would be surprised if anyone that was actually a bit notorious was actually included.

#87 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

View PostGyrok, on 27 February 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

Can we start banning the mangy gits that keep making threads about a ban wave tomorrow...?

Banning people who are cheating is not going to make you better at the game, and I would be surprised if anyone that was actually a bit notorious was actually included.

Watch the mystery unfold in next weeks episode of "As the inner Sphere turns" Entitled "Why are they hiding the cheaters"

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 February 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#88 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

This looks really, really bad from a PR standpoint, especially after what Russ said in the January town hall.

#89 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostZerberus, on 27 February 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

Hmmm... thoughts...

1.Everyday someone screams how the sky is falling.

2. It is no secret that Steam as a platform is rife with cheaters

3. Steam numbers dropping off are regularly presented as proof of 1.

And yet absolutely zero thought is given by anyone to the not unlikely possibility of enough Steam players having dropped the game that the cheating issue truly isn´t significant anymore..... Posted Image

Don´t get me wrong, cheaters should be drawn and quartered (public shaming at it´s best with a side of torture and death), but all I see here are a lot of people that don´t have access to the actual numbers throwing out random 2d10 rolls as factual percentages and 5d10 rolls as factual playercounts, and then just going off those numbers, in some cases with "math" that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up....

Until we as a community have actual numbers from PGI, any sepeculation about the actual number of cheaters or thousands of lives it ruins are exactly that: Speculation.

In the meantime you can either believe PGI and push on, or not believe them and quit... everything else is a waste of time and oxygen.

1) Russ said they have a list of known cheaters and were going to publicly ban them
2) Russ changes his mind due to some liquid situations or whatever, and will maybe ban some secretly instead

Those are basically the 2 things you need to know to see how bad this looks. They have a list of known cheaters that they might, or might not act upon. Maybe they'll ban them, maybe they won't. It's frigging insane is what it is.

#90 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

PGI and Russ. Posted Image

#91 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostTorgun, on 27 February 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

1) Russ said they have a list of known cheaters and were going to publicly ban them
2) Russ changes his mind due to some liquid situations or whatever, and will maybe ban some secretly instead

Those are basically the 2 things you need to know to see how bad this looks. They have a list of known cheaters that they might, or might not act upon. Maybe they'll ban them, maybe they won't. It's frigging insane is what it is.

Basically, what he said was that they are going to ban them. He just said it might be a few at a time, and let some think they are getting away with it...or might be all at once.

#92 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostGyrok, on 27 February 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Basically, what he said was that they are going to ban them. He just said it might be a few at a time, and let some think they are getting away with it...or might be all at once.

First he says a whole bunch will be publicly banned. Now he thinks they might ban some in a hidden manner instead. How can anyone trust he will do it at all when it goes from public for everyone to see to anonymously where no one can know he's done anything at all? It's just a bad decision that gives people the reason to not trust what he says. Will he actually ban anyone? For that matter does he even have a list with cheaters since it suddenly goes from going public to entirely secret? Talk about sinking your own ship.

Edited by Torgun, 27 February 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#93 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 February 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

I have some idea why the change of tune to.

If I were to make a guess I would say it has something to do with profiling.

I mean if someone or more than one were publicly caught hacking a game and abusing 100's if not thousands of players, for months if not years, could it effect their real life job in any way? DUN DUN DUN. :)

That the best you could fathom up?

#94 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 27 February 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

That the best you could fathom up?

You have another guess why there is anonymous cheating in MechWarrior Online?

#95 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

Good news, since tomorrow never comes, this thread will never technically be wrong!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 February 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#96 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 February 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

You have another guess why there is anonymous cheating in MechWarrior Online?

The change of tune by Russ is because there aren't as many cheaters as people would believe. Much less PGI being able to track them.

#97 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Good news, since tomorrow never comes, this thread will never technically be wrong!

I already admitted I was wrong about the ban wave. :) I wont admit I was surprised. :)

Who knows what the drama will be about next week. :) I was just trying to make the podcast a bit interesting actually.

No new features and no big updates like phase 3 soon so..... that's what this all about by the way, sorta. :)

Just another half done game lacking features slow to get completed out of how many on Steam? The game shops have all been closed down its not like players have much of a choice in the matter.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 February 2016 - 10:35 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users