7 replies to this topic

#1 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

I recently started playing this game again after about 2 years. The last time I booted up MWO was about the beginning of 2014, around January. I started playing again about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I'm sorry, but while the game has more mechs and a few extra maps, the gameplay experience just has not improved one bit. I was excited to try out CW, only to find that it should be called Community Waiting. I once spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to get a CW game that was NOT a ghost drop.

I ended up not playing CW anymore.

Solo queues for quick matches are just... eh. Not fun. Grouping up with other people makes the wait time even longer. 5 to 10 minutes for a drop for a two-person group? Really?

And I can't make my own private server, or host my own games? Really?

I get the feeling that there just aren't enough people playing this game. It's a shame. At the same time, the poor map design and terrible matchmaking isn't helping things.

This game is over 2 years old including Alpha and Beta periods. Cmon PGI. You're doing something wrong. It just isn't fun

Eh. Well, see ya guys. Maybe I'll see you in another two years.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

Posted Image

#3 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

but but..but....you can buy early access for a loooooooooooot of mechs!!

Drink with us!!

#4 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

Couple things: I do respect where you're coming from, as I was in a similar situation. Played in the early days/beta, and took lots of time off before coming back more recently (between clan waves 2-3).

The new/updated maps are getting better, though I do love some older ones like Canyon Network and Mining Facility :) Matchmaking is never perfect, but I do think it's better than it was. Group queue can be slow, a product of lower population like you have said.

CW is "still beta" and I don't play it either. Game modes overall need work, and at least they acknowledge it now. CW phase 3 should be a big update, and any depth to conquest/assault would be welcome.

#5 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

View Posttorgian, on 26 February 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

I recently started playing this game again after about 2 years. The last time I booted up MWO was about the beginning of 2014, around January. I started playing again about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I'm sorry, but while the game has more mechs and a few extra maps, the gameplay experience just has not improved one bit. I was excited to try out CW, only to find that it should be called Community Waiting. I once spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to get a CW game that was NOT a ghost drop.

Solo queues for quick matches are just... eh. Not fun. Grouping up with other people makes the wait time even longer. 5 to 10 minutes for a drop for a two-person group? Really?

I get the feeling that there just aren't enough people playing this game. It's a shame. At the same time, the poor map design and terrible matchmaking isn't helping things.

This game is over 2 years old including Alpha and Beta periods. Cmon PGI. You're doing something wrong. It just isn't fun

Of course ur allowed ur opinion, but I disagree with it. You have a perceived view of nothing changing, but if you read up on the patch notes in the past 2 years you will see that there have been many changes and improvements. I prefer to gauge progress by facts rather than a perception.

As far as CW often by choosing the planet with the most people and determining what is needed most (Attack or Defense) you can usually be dropping in a match in under 10 minutes - sometimes much faster. You didn't mention what time zone you are in, so you may need to play, if possible, during a different time of the day.

I've never waited 10 minutes for a solo drop...ever. I actually don't remember the last time I waited 5 minutes which was the lower end of your estimation. I would say 3 minutes would be the upper limit of my experience. In the previous Mechwarrior title you were forced to wait 2 minutes between games in automated servers. And, there was no matchmaking at all in MW4 multiplayer. An extra 60 seconds is not that long.

You have a feeling there isn't enough players in the game, is exactly that....a feeling. Your gut isn't facts.

Private matches require 2 players with premium time for less than 2 12-mans. So join up with groups that play private matches like we do. Several of us in my unit have premium time and we make Saturday nights our private match night. We don't require anyone to have premium time. Enough of us have it.

Your opinion that PGI is doing it "wrong" is based on your perception of how the game should be, and yet you didn't offer any positive feedback on what that perceived game should be. Nor did you offer any evidence that you have any training or expertise in designing games. I'm not sure how you could say PGI is doing it "wrong" when you haven't shown you could do it right.

As to fun, well that is also your opinion and I log in to the game solely because it is fun. I would not log in if I didn't enjoy the game.

Edited by Coolant, 26 February 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#6 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

OP

While I do sympathize with your plight, I can honestly say your experience is not my experience. Suffice to say, you are doing it wrong.

Is that your fault? Perhaps, but it is also true that PGI must share some of that responsibility. PGI is certainly not perfect, but in my mind at least we have some of what we want, that without PGI we would likely have nothing at all. Hopefully the situation will continue to improve in the future, as it has been over the past year or so, albeit slowly.

In the interim, improving your game situation here is going to have to fall on you. My game is great, but I also invested the time and effort to make it that way. Some things in life you simply have to do for yourself - that's just the way it is, and the way it has always been. It's just the same in this place.

The sweetest grapes are at the top of the tree - you can stand beyond reach at the bottom and complain, or you can build yourself a ladder. In the end, what you get out of it depends very much on what you put into it. We can show you the proper direction, but walking the journey you must do on your own.

Edited by crustydog, 26 February 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#7 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

I'm still having fun with the game. I even bought a Kodiak pack today.

#8 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Posttorgian, on 26 February 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

• I agree with you on gamepley experience... closed beta was much more fun.
  • If you are spending more than 20 minutes waiting for a CW match you are doing it wrong. PLEASE check the attacker/defender numbers before you get into queue. a 0/0 planet won't have a game... you can wait for ever if you want
  • Solo queue wait times are horrible (depending on your tier)
  • Group queue wait times are less horrible. (definitely less than 10 minutes as you describe)
  • You CAN make private lobbies and matches... you'll need premium time.
  • You are right about the current game population... its very very alarmingly low.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users