Cap/bap And Ecm

3 replies to this topic

#1 Kshat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:30 PM

So, it seems they've changed the behaviour of the active probe some time ago.
Right now, if I mount it in a mech with ECM equipped, it seems to lose it's counter-ECM-capabilities.

So, I asked myself:

- is this by intent? If the reason behind it is to disallow the double-ECM counterability, why not just disable it when switching your ECM to counter? And... why shouldn't you be able to counter two ECMs since you already invested the space and weight for the equipment?

- most important: do the other boni of the active probe still work?

#2 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

IIRC yes it's intentional. It has always been such, since Active Probes began to counter ECM. It is indeed to keep the 1:1 ECM countering ratio and was stated as such way back when. (I've been gone a while but last time I played it worked the same as it seems to now.)

Also the other xAP bonuses still work. In addition, should your ECM module get taken out by crits, your BAP will start countering ECM as normal, so there is a bit of benefit to having both for ECM countering alone.

#3 Kshat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:42 AM

What seems odd to me is that whilst I got ECM and BAP installed, the counter-abilitiy of the BAP is kind of deactivated. So the system forces me to use my ECM in counter mode.
Which would seem fine for some reasons, BUT the counter range of ECM is much smaller than that of an active probe.

In my opinion it would be best if the active probe would override the ECM counter and switching ECM to counter mode would simply NOT counter a second ECM.

And you could counter two ECMs at least back in the days when ACH and SCH flooded the battlefields, resulting in an overabundance of ECM everywhere.

#4 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:19 AM

I think they've worked this way for quite awhile. I remember them working in this manner before ACH/SCH was released as well.

I'd say skip the BAP. If you want faster target info put on the Info Gathering module.

I think your solution of having the BAP counter instead of the ECM makes sense, but I believe it's done in this way for balance issues. ECM doesn't really need another buff (even if you'd need another piece of equipment to get it).

Right now, I think it also makes sense, as the ECM equipment takes over all ECM/Counter capabilities when mounted alongside a BAP. It's greedy and wants to have all the fun. Once an enemy lasers a hole through your ECM, the BAP is kicked on to start countering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users