Fatal Error Warrior Offline 2: Server Connection Was Lost

14 replies to this topic

#1 Garret Schmitzer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Seriously. PlanetSide 2 runs better than MWO half of the time. That's just embarrassing.

#2 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Did you try turning it off, then turning it back on again?

#3 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

What are people playing on that they have so many problems with MWO? Potato computers through dial-up from the moon?

Seriously, I've been playing continuously for 2+ years. I've been disconnected from a match exactly twice, if you don't include total server shutdowns for maintenance or acts of god. I've had the client crash maybe 3 times. MWO has been more stable in my time playing than most triple-A titles.

So... maybe folks just need to sort out their situations. It's almost certainly not on PGIs end.

#4 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

I bet you say MWO plays better in the Planetside forums.

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

It has to be a ISP/rout issue. I see lots of people disconnect at the same time on our games but still able to talk over the TS servers.

I think they need to move the main server to the U.S. Even if you're playing on the other servers it seems like if you disconnect from the main server it will boot you.

#6 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,995 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 26 February 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

What are people playing on that they have so many problems with MWO? Potato computers through dial-up from the moon?

Seriously, I've been playing continuously for 2+ years. I've been disconnected from a match exactly twice, if you don't include total server shutdowns for maintenance or acts of god. I've had the client crash maybe 3 times. MWO has been more stable in my time playing than most triple-A titles.

So... maybe folks just need to sort out their situations. It's almost certainly not on PGIs end.

Yeah I don’t know what the problem is MY PC is pretty new

I have had 5 disconnects this week

I have added more ram, used two different video cards
And this in two different States (TX, CO) with 2 different internet providers

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 26 February 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

It has to be a ISP/rout issue. I see lots of people disconnect at the same time on our games but still able to talk over the TS servers.

I think they need to move the main server to the U.S. Even if you're playing on the other servers it seems like if you disconnect from the main server it will boot you.

There IS a current problem with AMD video cards and Crimson Edition drivers. They (the drivers) crash, which takes down MWO too. Reverting to the Nov 2015 Catalyst Drivers corrects the problem.

But aside from that, in the 4 years I've been playing, it's been extremely rare for me to have any connection issues at all. There have been a few ISP/Routing issues (particularly with US ISP's) where people get disconnected a lot, but that has nothing at all to do with PGI.

#8 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 26 February 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

Yeah I don’t know what the problem is MY PC is pretty new

I have had 5 disconnects this week

I have added more ram, used two different video cards
And this in two different States (TX, CO) with 2 different internet providers

People keep thinking that running the game on a less powerful computer will make it crash more. This is totally incorrect. It'll run, or it won't, but generally speaking the performance of your computer has nothing whatsoever to do with the stability of a game.

If you're WAY below the minimum spec (CPU, GPU) you may well see atrocious performance, but that'll just result in horrible FPS and/or stutter. Insufficient RAM *may* cause crashes, but that means less than 4GB.

But yeah, "running on a potato" doesn't mean you'll crash more often.

Are you disconnecting, going back to the mechlab? Or are you crashing back to desktop? They're totally different things - though of course, crashing will ALSO result in a disconnect.

It's important to specify what exactly is happening.

Edited by Wintersdark, 26 February 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#9 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

MWO is not a terribly well optimized game... we know that for certain... but I think too, people are not running systems optimized to run MWO.

They're running settings too high for their hardware... or worse, they've tweaked their hardware to run above what their hardware can support. They're running on wi-fi (sorry, I don't care how well you think it works, you're going to lose data). Their router sucks. Their ISP sucks (I'm sorry, your down/up isn't the most important thing here). Or by far the most aggregious... they're doing other things on their computer and *gasp* alt-tabbing all over the place.

I guarantee that if a person is dropping MWO connections or crashing their client regularly... if they really look, they'll find something wrong in one or more areas on their end.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

I've had connection issues with MWO before.

Try isolating whether your internet connection is having routeing issues with MWO first.

What you can do on your end is try disabling Interrupt Moderation on your network card and see if that helps

#11 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 26 February 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

MWO is not a terribly well optimized game... we know that for certain... but I think too, people are not running systems optimized to run MWO.

They're running settings too high for their hardware... or worse, they've tweaked their hardware to run above what their hardware can support. They're running on wi-fi (sorry, I don't care how well you think it works, you're going to lose data). Their router sucks. Their ISP sucks (I'm sorry, your down/up isn't the most important thing here). Or by far the most aggregious... they're doing other things on their computer and *gasp* alt-tabbing all over the place.

I guarantee that if a person is dropping MWO connections or crashing their client regularly... if they really look, they'll find something wrong in one or more areas on their end.

You can configure wifi to be completely reliable. Most don't know how, or don't bother, but you certainly can. I gamed for years purely on wifi with no issues at all.

But people don't understand how it works, or how to set it up correctly, or have crappy routers etc. *shrugs* People not understanding something doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Edit: Unless you're in an extremely noise area, anyways. It's possible to be in a place where wifi can't work well, but that's very unlikely.

Edited by Wintersdark, 26 February 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#12 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 February 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

You can configure wifi to be completely reliable. Most don't know how, or don't bother, but you certainly can. I gamed for years purely on wifi with no issues at all.

But people don't understand how it works, or how to set it up correctly, or have crappy routers etc. *shrugs* People not understanding something doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Edit: Unless you're in an extremely noise area, anyways. It's possible to be in a place where wifi can't work well, but that's very unlikely.

I can add 4wd to a volkswagon bug, but it is not really a good idea ever.
WiFi uses radio type signals and even old houses with mesh holding plaster the signal can be messed with. Whenever someone negotiates a wireless connection it can still be on the same frequency etc etc etc.
If someone knows how to configure WiFi properly they can also make AMDs work equally well for gaming, but it still does not contradict the general rule of thumb of "sub-optimal performance in many situations that may be hard to diagnose and/or correct".

A 10-40' cable is many times easier/cheaper than learning all the tricks, and it quickly helps isolate if the issues is/is not Wifi.

#13 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostChuck Jager, on 26 February 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

I can add 4wd to a volkswagon bug, but it is not really a good idea ever.
WiFi uses radio type signals and even old houses with mesh holding plaster the signal can be messed with. Whenever someone negotiates a wireless connection it can still be on the same frequency etc etc etc.
it's entirely possible to scan and pick spec8fic channels with better performance and reliability.

If someone knows how to configure WiFi properly they can also make AMDs work equally well for gaming, but it still does not contradict the general rule of thumb of "sub-optimal performance in many situations that may be hard to diagnose and/or correct".

A 10-40' cable is many times easier/cheaper than learning all the tricks, and it quickly helps isolate if the issues is/is not Wifi.
absolutely if you have problems, you go hardwired to rule out wifi issues.

However, wifi for general gaming is perfectly fine if you get decent hardware and co figure it correctly.

#14 Garret Schmitzer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

I'm not joking. In the 3+ years I've played PS2 - a game infamous for being unstable and running on quite possibly the most half-assed, slapped-together-in-a-year engine the industry has ever seen - I have crashed fewer than 10 times. MWO crashes at least once every 5 matches.

I can be in a battle on PS2 with 200+ players (including tanks, aircraft, and explosive spam the likes of which would make Micheal Bay have a spontaneous orgasm) and still pull around 30 fps, but the moment I load into River City my fps tanks to 20-ish. In a 12v12 game.

Would someone kindly explain how this is a thing?

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 26 February 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

They're running settings too high for their hardware... or worse, ... They're running on wi-fi (sorry, I don't care how well you think it works, you're going to lose data). Their router sucks. Or by far the most aggregious... they're doing other things on their computer and *gasp* alt-tabbing all over the place.

Let's go go down the list, shall we?

Running settings to high for hardware: CHECK (well, I run minimum specs, but that's still too much for my laptop, just barely playable)
Running on wi-fi: CHECK
Router sucks: CHECK
Multi-tasking and constant alt-tabbing: CHECK.

... status report: I have no issues with MWO stability and I have no connectivity issues. I do not experience lag, I do not experience crashes... everything is fine for me. And if I can have a perfectly fine experience on a business laptop via wifi via an overheating router while running multiple chrome tabs in the background... then I hazard to guess that issue others are experiencing are due to something else like pesky drivers or ISP-related issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users