26 replies to this topic

#21 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

View PostOnimusha shin, on 28 February 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

You're all going about this wrong. It's that all lasers except C-erLL are too short burning. With the exception of pulse lasers, I personally feel that all standard burn lasers should burn longer.

Careful. Too much and everybody just goes back to PPFLD.

I don't even think it's the short burn so much as not running hot enough.

#22 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

Could do with a bit of duration reduction, since I doubt pgi will increase laser duration across the board.

#23 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostMoldur, on 27 February 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

Yeah but why bother comparing it to an unquirked IS ERLL. I would argue that it is irrelevant to what the C-ERLL is competing with.

Because a lot of mechs don't have range quirks n such. I got as far as counting all the variants for the first 4 types of mediums and found that 50% didn't have range quirks. 6 don't have any quirks impacting ER's and another only has a small cooldown quirk.

#24 Onimusha shin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 28 February 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Careful. Too much and everybody just goes back to PPFLD.

I don't even think it's the short burn so much as not running hot enough.

I did use the C-erLL burn duration as the basis/benchmark to work any laser duration nerfs in in future. The point is, lasers should burn longer in general and expose themselves to the enemy mechs more if they want to achieve more burn damage.

The only reason why PGI allows the current laser durations is that it in a way, increases TTK because the laser boats can easily shoot and scoot instead of standing in place to be pummeled by return alphas.

The Ghost Heat replacement that PGI is designing could be a solution to laser alpha meta though so I'm keen to see how that plays out for now.

#25 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:34 AM

View PostOnimusha shin, on 28 February 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

I did use the C-erLL burn duration as the basis/benchmark to work any laser duration nerfs in in future. The point is, lasers should burn longer in general and expose themselves to the enemy mechs more if they want to achieve more burn damage.

The only reason why PGI allows the current laser durations is that it in a way, increases TTK because the laser boats can easily shoot and scoot instead of standing in place to be pummeled by return alphas.

The Ghost Heat replacement that PGI is designing could be a solution to laser alpha meta though so I'm keen to see how that plays out for now.

Alternatively, if 'Mechs can't fire their big laser damage as often, or even fire quite that large damage in the first place, 'Mechs survive longer and there's more incentive to bring alternative weapons.

Note, I don't disagree with you. I actually came to a similar conclusion. It's too easy to place the damage from a laser on one component, undermining value of the weapons offering true PPFLD. But it's a fine line to walk, and some 'Mechs (i.e. Lights) really don't have any other options and cannot work with longer burns without also increasing range...not an option on a lot of them.

#26 Onimusha shin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

Yep that's absolutely true too. Which is why pulse lasers with shorter burns should be the go to for such mechs. As well as burn duration quirks. ;)

#27 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostMadCat02, on 27 February 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

I don't really have a problem with Clan Mediums . I would take them over Inner SPhere short end of the deal any day . The scaling in Damage per Ton is way off if you compare it to ERL vs Clan ERL .That heat increase is justified by 2 damage, much higher optimal range and higher duration ( they work much better for me at least )

Well duh the CERML is basically a slightly shorter ranged and slightyl less damaging ISLL for 4 tons less that you can shoot 6 of at a time. But that's an artifact of TT where clan vs IS was balanced with IS having 2-3 times as many mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users