Hit Detection Issues (With Video)

38 replies to this topic

#1 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

So while dropping in private lobby, I had a match where 4 shots, clean hit, did not register. After that I decided to turn Fraps on and record further matches if these issues persisted. These are the results.

The parts with captions are based on the other players telling me that they have been hit with screen shake, but no damage had been taken on their rag doll. There are 2 clips like this, so they can be debatable.

This was taken within the span of an hour and a half of play time in lobby.

The issue is not always present, I have gone through several duels where each shot on my part had registered.

Some times the crosshair would turn red but no damage register, and some times the crosshair would not flash but a clean hit is visible.

#2 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

I notice hitreg issues all the time.

#3 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

I bring stuff like this up, and I get told to L2P.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing on a daily basis vs lights and randomly vs anything else through the course of a day's playing.

Damage literally goes into the void, as though I never even fired.

It happens with lasers, it happens with ballistics, it happens ALOT with SRM's.

You get these false positives from impact effects, and sometimes you're on the receiving end and hear the impact, but no damage ect.

There are moments when the game literally tells you that your shots did nothing, that well placed AC shell "haha nope", that Alpha strike with Pulse lasers "haha nope".

Good video Soviet, please get this to Russ on Twitter.

Edited by Mister D, 27 February 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

There is crappy hitreg at times, but damn that's an egregious series of examples

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

The video is missing most the after views of the mechs so I couldn't see if it's a hitreg issue or a ragdoll issue. Check your uncut video and watch the armor percentage see if it's changing.

Most the videos I have of bad hitreg will show armor percent changing but not the rag doll. I'm still not sure if the armor percent is client or server side.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 February 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#6 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 27 February 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

The video is missing most the after views of the mechs so I couldn't see if it's a hitreg issue or a ragdoll issue. Check your uncut video and watch the armor percentage see if it's changing.

Most the videos I have of bad hitreg will show armor percent changing but not the rag doll. I'm still not sure if the armor percent is client or server side.

This is a good point, but on all the slow moes you can see a percent change if any. Going by your comment, 2 of those had no rag doll changes but percent changes after the ac-20 shot. The rest (ignoring the caption ones) had no rag doll or percent changes.

#7 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

Two of those shots looked like clear misses to me, but the rest of them are some funky **** that I've never seen myself in game. You have the worst luck with this game, I guess. Posted Image

Spam Russ' Twitter with this video, it's exactly what he's looking for.

#8 Tripzter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

As far as the devs are concerned...

Posted Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker

#9 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

Funnily enough a friend and myself were discussing builds and duelling in the new maps when we experienced strange hitreg issues also.

He was pilotting a Jager and face timing me to keep his AC's on target, while I was in a SRM heavy Awesome. Several volleys of SRM's transferred damage to the rear CT of the Jager, while others seemed to do virtually no damage. We had something similar between a LPL/SPL and SRM/SPL Timberwolf, where the SRM's were ripping through armour easily and the lasers were doing virtually nothing.

These were on two different occasions and with two different opponents, we attempted to trace hitbox registration with a single laser to see if we could replicate it but at that point everything registered normally.

I will say there are times during live matches that make me scratch my head, both in dealing and receiving damage that just don't seem to register properly. However they are not persistent or frequent enough to make me raise tickets for them and simply put it down to the vagaries of playing realtime games over the internet and anything upto 10000 miles of signal traffic.

#10 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

View PostTarogato, on 27 February 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

Two of those shots looked like clear misses to me, but the rest of them are some funky **** that I've never seen myself in game. You have the worst luck with this game, I guess. Posted Image

I've seen as bad. Even made video. No one cares.

#11 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

Maybe try running that test with a BAP +CC, and minimal ammo just to test it but also see instant info.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

One thing Russ did say is they're seeing issues on or around (I forget) cw cease fire. He said the beta 3 cw should fix this issue but still is there until then.

View PostSovietArmada, on 27 February 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

This is a good point, but on all the slow moes you can see a percent change if any. Going by your comment, 2 of those had no rag doll changes but percent changes after the ac-20 shot. The rest (ignoring the caption ones) had no rag doll or percent changes.

Was kind of hard for me to see too because on still on my phone at work.

It's not the first time with these problems, and no matter what something needs fixed. Rag doll or the hitreg.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 February 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#13 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

Forward it to Russ on twitter, the video, and submit a support ticket with it. Give Russ the support ticket number. They're still looking over my last obvious HSR fail video. -_-

#14 Nimiki

• PipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostMister D, on 27 February 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

You get these false positives from impact effects, and sometimes you're on the receiving end and hear the impact, but no damage ect.

Usually it's the opposite for me. I get hit but hear absolutely no damage sound. Happened about 2 weeks ago, was using my Marauder. turned for a sec, "CRITICAL DAMAGE" "Whaa?" Turns out I took 3LPL to the LT...

#15 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 February 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Forward it to Russ on twitter, the video, and submit a support ticket with it. Give Russ the support ticket number. They're still looking over my last obvious HSR fail video. Posted Image

Never used twitter. If someone can do it on my behalf would be great.

#16 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

I don't see anything wrong at all!

Posted Image

#17 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

View PostSovietArmada, on 27 February 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Never used twitter. If someone can do it on my behalf would be great.

Consider it done:
https://twitter.com/...766488952471552

#18 Vlad Grendal

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

so while I helped do some test runs with this and we only really got one hit register to show up while I was helping, I had a private match a few days back and alpha strike into a Crab 27SL in the leg, and got 0 damage dealt. after the match when I was talking about it the team member mentioned how they saw from his point of view that I was striking towards the ground but had no damage register.

Earlier last week I noticed how I could splay SRMs into lights and only get 3-6 missiles of damage when it shows them all impact. This happened with Locusts, Arctic Cheetah, Firestarters, Panthers, Adders, Kitfox, and Wolfhounds. All of this was during public drops. I have seen it happen many times, and even had it happen where I would receive a hit, screen shake and impact flash, but receive no damage on my mech.

#19 Tehone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 144 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hit Detection Issues since 2012 i have no hope pgi fix it

#20 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostTehone, on 27 February 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Hit Detection Issues since 2012 i have no hope pgi fix it

It's better than it used to be?

Realistically though it won't get fixed until PGI switches to a different game engine with much better server authenticated net code.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users