BattleMechs

32 replies to this topic

#1 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

So, it has certainly been awhile since the Mauler came out for cbills. Please leave your reflection on how it pilots.

My own experience (having not owned one) has been thus:

There are a select number of mechs that turning a corner to makes one flinch and require new pants. Those being an Atlas, Direwolf, occasionally a Banshee, and the Mauler. Seriously, I am more hesitant to engage a Mauler than an Atlas, Direwolf, or Banshee. Is anyone else with me on this? The things just shred stuff when they get a good sightline..

Ps. This is not an OP thread. Simply a reflection thread.

#2 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

Literallus:

Posted Image

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Mech matters little, it's the pilot that makes the difference. Then again I fear no Assualt Mechs, they are all prey to the mighty Locust.

#4 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostGamuray, on 27 February 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Seriously, I am more hesitant to engage a Mauler than an Atlas, Direwolf, or Banshee. Is anyone else with me on this?

Ps. This is not an OP thread. Simply a reflection thread.

You've must have come across some mediocre Banshee pilots. I won't toot my own horn, but having fought and seen some competitive players lay waste to people in Banshee's they're ******* terrifying.

As for Maulers? They're certainly not to be underestimated, the moment you do is when you get your face blown off.

EDIT: Atlases, while regaining the throne of being the Brawling King, if you can spot them early on, and keep them at a distance, and actually drop it before it gets in range, they're not scary...just don't ever let that AS7-S get in close...

Most Dire Wolves I see these days sport dakka builds, people still hurt by the Gauss nerf. Focus fire tends to drop them like always, just don't walk in front of it.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 27 February 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:26 PM

It has decently high ballistic hardpoints on the torsi. 6xAC2 Mauler-MX90 is pure fun with macro, though my 2xGauss+3xERLL Mauler-2P is performing much better than I expected.

Overall I have positive impression of the mech, but only after eliting it. Otherwise, it is too slow.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 27 February 2016 - 10:32 PM.

#6 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 February 2016 - 10:26 PM, said:

Otherwise, it is too slow.

This is the biggest kicker. The current 90 tonners in the game are gimped by having absolutely abysmal engine caps. My Atlas runs faster than my Highlander IICs and my Maulers.

Let that last sentence sink in for a minute.
^ thats a lie, disregard.

The Mauler can sport impressive fire power, but what's the point if the battle is almost over by the time you get there?

Maybe the Cyclops can have a niche in this, if we get it soon. A "fast" 90 tonner?

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 27 February 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#7 Vashramire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:32 PM

It's a fun mech personally. I tried a lot of goofy builds and suffered for it but eventually settled on a couple that work at most ranges. Most of my builds are lower alphas but filled with dakka so there is a facetime component that I just deal with. All except the 1P have only 10 structure on side torsos so it is the squishier of the IS 90 tons. Low engine cap and no accel/decel quirks make it slow. If you let it get face time it will eat other assaults alive but be wary of its sluggish mobility. Peaking can end up hurting you more than them even if you have a 325 in it. It is fun though and can run several moderately cool builds so your only concern is ammo and cd's.

#8 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:32 PM

I love lrming light mechs.

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 27 February 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

My Atlas runs faster than my Highlander IICs and my Maulers.

Let that last sentence sink in for a minute.

The Mauler can sport impressive fire power, but what's the point if the battle is almost over by the time you get there?

A Mauler with 325 engine can travel as fast as an Atlas with 360 engine. Probably the accel/decel quirks the Atlas have is making you think the Atlas is faster.

View PostNovakaine, on 27 February 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

I love lrming light mechs.

I hope your Maulers do not have the same horrible build your Orion had, in that Bog match.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 February 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#10 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 February 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

A Mauler with 325 engine can travel as fast as an Atlas with 360 engine. Probably the accel/decel quirks the Atlas have is making you think the Atlas is faster.

MAL-1P

So it does, with a STD engine no less. My other builds though, are not so quick. I also abhor the thought of putting and XL engine in my gauss build. I've of course seen you use yours to great effect, for me however? Noep.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 27 February 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#11 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

My reflection: Cool 3D models and a pretty nice dakka boat! Shame that you can't build a satisfying LRM loadout.

#12 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

It's a great ballistic platform that I have found to be incredibly effective in the mid-to-long range game. It's a little sluggish for its class, but if you build with that in mind then it isn't an insurmountable issue at all. The Mauler holds a special place in my heart because it's the first mech that I stopped being objectively horrible at the game in.

#13 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

View PostSkaerKrow, on 27 February 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

It's a great ballistic platform that I have found to be incredibly effective in the mid-to-long range game. It's a little sluggish for its class, but if you build with that in mind then it isn't an insurmountable issue at all. The Mauler holds a special place in my heart because it's the first mech that I stopped being objectively horrible at the game in.

Not to mention its ******* gorgeous.

Posted Image

#14 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

Now, it should ideally look like this:

Posted Image

Sadly it's not possible or you have to sacrifice too much. Sometimes I wish that certain IS Mechs were Clan.

#15 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 27 February 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Now, it should ideally look like this:

Sadly it's not possible or you have to sacrifice too much. Sometimes I wish that certain IS Mechs were Clan.

I wish all my most played IS mechs were Clan. I could do some nasty things with Clan tech + Stalker/Banshee/Battlemaster/Jagermech/Mauler.

#16 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

I like the Mauler, good hardpoints, shield arms, a little underquirked but fair.

Only gripe is twist speed, thing has a giant CT and you need to be pulling 90 degrees on a twist to shield that fat belly which is all but impossible to do then re-align for a counter attack, it is pretty sloppy with its slow speed and I find myself fighting the crosshair too much.

Other than that, it has some impressive firepower for an IS assault.

Edited by Mister D, 28 February 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#17 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 27 February 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

My reflection: Cool 3D models and a pretty nice dakka boat! Shame that you can't build a satisfying LRM loadout.

Eh??? The 1R is an absolute beast of an LRM boat. Put LRM15 x 4 on it with a tag, and it absolutely levels things given the chance.

#18 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:41 AM

View PostFade Akira, on 28 February 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

Eh??? The 1R is an absolute beast of an LRM boat. Put LRM15 x 4 on it with a tag, and it absolutely levels things given the chance.

The problem is that you can only bring LRMs......

#19 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 28 February 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

The problem is that you can only bring LRMs......

Ahhh, i see your point now, and it is valid. I must also point out i am no heavy LRM fan, however i did hugely enjoy using this chassis with LRMS. I had 4 or 5 1000+ damage matches in a row, with 5 or 6 kills each time!

If you are on the right team, all you need is those LRMS. Not to mention i have a small laser and 4 MG's on mine, and late game, if everyone is worn down, they actually still provide a viable defense. I killed 3 mechs with these backup weapons in one game, because they all had stripped armour.

If your team is bad, then yes you will get rolled, but what loadout doesn't in that situation, LRM or not?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a130f822037630

This is pretty much the build i enjoy. With LRM15 cooldown module on top.

Edited by Fade Akira, 28 February 2016 - 01:56 AM.

#20 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:18 AM

lots of variety. I compare it it the KGC a lot The KGC has a bit better mobility and armor but the mauler boats missles better IMO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users