#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

I am daily faced with the following choice:

a. Play on the Euro server with a ping of 170. But experience match after match with fail teams who hide behind rocks not engaging until they are eventually wiped out.

Or

b. Play on the NA or Oceanic servers, where my ping is 240. But experience players on my team who are much more likely to actually fight rather than hide until they are clubbed to death.

Which option would you choose? -a- The server with the lower ping, better hitreg, and MechHiders or -b- the server with worse ping and hitreg, but where there seem to be more actual MechWarriors?

Edited by Appogee, 28 February 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#2 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

I vote option 3: Find an EU team and coordinate with them to become the clubber instead of the clubbed.

#3 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:59 AM

View PostGreenHell, on 28 February 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

I vote option 3: Find an EU team and coordinate with them to become the clubber instead of the clubbed.

Thanks, good advice. In fact, I can and do play with a team during the evenings, and you are right, it's much better.

It's during the day, when my team mates are working, that I am confronted with the choice of -a- or -b- above.

#4 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:03 AM

From your post you clearly dont like the Euro server, so dont play on it - problem solved.

#5 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

Ah in that case you'll have to learn to "herd the cats" as some have called it. Just be silly in voip and yell in a funny voice for everyone to charge over the hill. Works every time :P CHEEEEEAAAAARRRRRGGGGEEEE!!!

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:05 AM

View PostAppogee, on 28 February 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Which option would you choose? -a- The server with the lower ping, better hitreg, and MechHiders or -b- the server with worse ping and hitreg, but where there seem to be more actual MechWarriors?

Depends on the prime time of the day. When I play long range mechs such as the Gauss Mauler, I prefer EU. Very simple. Currently 130ms EU and 215ms NA.

Also, there might be more people whose English skills are limited, in the EU server, which is part of the reason they do not move as one.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 February 2016 - 02:38 AM.

#7 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Bring Narc on the EU server? Chances are people hiding behind rocks also want you to get them locks. Even if they are firing LRMs into walls because the target is behind cover, well, at least it gets them to focus fire.

And if by some miracle you keep narcing mechs that are in the open without dying it will make your teammates feel good about how much damage they rack up.

If teammates aren't bringing LRMs then I'd rather play on the higher ping servers. Trying to instill bravery is 10x worse than trying to herd players that are willing but don't know what to do.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 28 February 2016 - 01:13 AM.

#8 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:28 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 February 2016 - 01:05 AM, said:

Also, there might be more people whose English skills are limited, in the EU server, which is part of the reason they do not move as one.

This is a very good point. It would also explain why my efforts to get help a team succeed on the EU server seem to go mostly ignored. Also a difficult issue to overcome.

View PostDivine Retribution, on 28 February 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Bring Narc on the EU server?
While I think you are right, I really don't want to encourage people to bring even more LRM boats :)

#9 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:09 AM

240 ping sounds amazing.

I currently get like 150ms in Oceanic, 300 in US and 400+ in Europe so I have to untick that

#10 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:49 AM

View PostAppogee, on 28 February 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

I am daily faced with the following choice:

a. Play on the Euro server with a ping of 170. But experience match after match with fail teams who hide behind rocks not engaging until they are eventually wiped out.

Or

b. Play on the NA or Oceanic servers, where my ping is 240. But experience players on my team who are much more likely to actually fight rather than hide until they are clubbed to death.

If these "fail teams" on the EU server hide behind rocks until they are wiped out, who is killing them? Other players on the EU server by any chance?
Or did you mean the players on the EU server don't run in and die quick like you, but instead choose to use tactics which you find bothersome?

#11 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostWolfways, on 28 February 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

If these "fail teams" on the EU server hide behind rocks until they are wiped out, who is killing them? Other players on the EU server by any chance?

Visitors from NA or Oceanic, obviously.

View PostWolfways, on 28 February 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Or did you mean the players on the EU server don't run in and die quick like you, but instead choose to use tactics which you find bothersome?

No, I didn't mean that.

Because - are you ready to have your mind blown? - between the extremes of "running in and dying quickly" and "hiding behind rocks not engaging", there is actually a middle path! It's the sensible and extremely effective way to play Mechwarrior Online - and actually win! It involves using cover sensibly, advancing on the enemy position, flanking, concentrating effort, and even *gasp* pushing from time to time!

But sadly, even a few people playing this sensible way can't win, if most of their team hide behind rocks and wait to die.

I'll bet this new insight on battle tactics - that people who don't "hide behind rocks and wait to die" aren't necessarily "running in and and dying quick" - will help you tremendously. Please feel welcome to share the middle path with your European friends.

Edited by Appogee, 28 February 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#12 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostAppogee, on 28 February 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

No, I didn't mean that.

Because - are you ready to have your mind blown? - between the extremes of "running in and dying quickly" and "hiding behind rocks not engaging", there is actually a middle path! It's the sensible and extremely effective way to play Mechwarrior Online - and actually win! It involves using cover sensibly, advancing on the enemy position, flanking, concentrating effort, and even *gasp* pushing from time to time!

But sadly, even a few people playing this sensible way can't win, if most of their team hide behind rocks and wait to die.

I'll bet this new insight on battle tactics - that people who don't "hide behind rocks and wait to die" aren't necessarily "running in and and dying quick" - will help you tremendously. Please feel welcome to share the middle path with your European friends.

Well, l play on EU and US servers and tbh I haven't noticed any difference. I constantly see players using tactics (and the derps who run in and die), but then I'm used to being in completely different games than posters here. A couple of years ago I was called a "liar" (among other things) for saying that there were tons of light mechs in nearly every one of my matches until I proved it with screenshots, and all the responses turned into "weird..."

#13 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

Option 4. Relocate to North America to get good ping. :)

#14 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

I wish. For the past 2 weeks, the Oceanic server has had worse pin than the EU server at 350+ pin. I'm in Australia so any NA game with 250 pin is already a blessing.

Posted Image

#15 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

I find playing with the Euros to be very very boring. I had a game last night on EU Alpine Peaks where we held the hill of death. The opposing unit, smartly, moved into the G9 area and waited us out. I took my Summoner, that spawned in the very lowest spot on the South Western side of the map up to the hill of death and then, after sitting there for 2-3 minutes, dropped down off of the mountain and circled all the way around up to the radio tower where I killed a Shadowcat and almost killed a Firestarter when a Grasshopper and Warhammer showed up to finish me off. Know what my team did? They sat at the elbow and didn't push at all. The game ended with my side losing as the 15 minute timer ended. That's right, the bunch of cowards sat there for a solid 15 minutes doing nothing and we lost. I swear, games like that will give you a brain tumor if you think on it too long.

PS> Take the ping spike and manage as best you can.

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

Pick all the servers and get half-decent queue times. I don't know why anybody would want to hand-pick their servers anymore when HSR works so well. I haven't had a single problem with 300+ms pings AND I play on wi-fi.

Edited by Tarogato, 28 February 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#17 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostAppogee, on 28 February 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

t's during the day, when my team mates are working, that I am confronted with the choice of -a- or -b- above.

Ah, then here's the solution...get a job you lazy slob!!! Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users