Why Does The Game Only Track Damage Done And Not Accuracy?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

In other shooters, a common end-of-game stat is shots fired vs shots hit. I feel like this wouldn't be a hard stat for the game to track, granted most people can probably figure it out, at least for ballistics, off of damage numbers vs ammo carried, but I for one would really like to know exactly how accurate my shots are so I can improve next time. I guess I'm just not sure why the game doesn't track it...or even if it could. (or is it a stat it tracks and is hidden from general view? As in, is it there buried in my profile somewhere?)

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

It is tracked actually...in the stats part of your forum profile.

However, note that it can be wonky sometimes. Not all matches seem to register into it, and for DoT weapons it doesn't distinguish between a partial hit or a full hit (even just touching the enemy is a "hit" to the game).

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:48 PM

It's because [code] + [effort] > [PGI].

#4 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 28 February 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

However, note that it can be wonky sometimes. Not all matches seem to register into it, and for DoT weapons it doesn't distinguish between a partial hit or a full hit (even just touching the enemy is a "hit" to the game).

While technically true, you can derive partials from the information available.

For example, I have fired the IS medium laser 18,208 times and "hit" 15,825 times. Since we know that the IS medium laser does 5 damage (potential), I should have done 79,125 damage. But because my aim is crap, I have not; I have only done 47,671 damage.

47671 / 79125 = 0.602477 or 60.25%. In other words, I average about 3 damage per hit with my IS medium lasers.

If you then multiply that by my accuracy (86.91%) you get 52.36% which is my overall effectiveness with the IS medium laser. I.e. I average about 2.5 damage every time I fire an IS medium laser, including both hits and misses. That number is useful because it compares straight up with weapons that always do max damage when they hit such as LRMs and autocannons.

Note: crits affect these numbers, but since they affect all weapons roughly equally we can probably ignore their effect. Range also affects these numbers, more dramatically for short range weapons than for long range weapons. It's hard to say whether or not damage drop off due to range is significant, though it's almost certainly not when comparing weapons of similar range.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

As others have said, it's in your personal stats.

A question though. In regards to how the OP is implying it be used (i'm assuming). If it were incorporated into a match score how exactly would you rate it?
Players have no control over whether their lurms hit the target many times. Should a player be rewarded less because they fired a salvo of 20 missiles at a target that they had a lock on but was able to get behind a building quickly?

Another issue is the difference between how some of the weapons work.

If I fire a laser and miss the first half of the beam duration but then just sweep it across the screen blindly and manage to glance an enemy mech for 1 tick, does that really mean I was "accurate"? Same with clan ACs. If you miss and just "spray and pray" and get a lucky glance with one fo your rounds is that "accuracy"?

If we're just talking in regards to the game tracking those stats for personal information I'm all for that, but I don't think it's quantifiable enough to work into a match score or reward system.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:23 AM

For a game trying to be an esport, there's really not a lot of emphasis on stats, achievements, accomplishments, ranks, etc.

The only stats available to us are the compilation of stats from the last reset, which was approximately... sixty-five years ago. If I want to evaluate my performance, it's basically like looking at the average of my test scores in mathematics from my last fifteen years of school. It's kind of meaningless. Doesn't really say very much about my performance these past few weeks or months.

#7 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:25 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 29 February 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

For a game trying to be an esport, there's really not a lot of emphasis on stats, achievements, accomplishments, ranks, etc.

The only stats available to us are the compilation of stats from the last reset, which was approximately... sixty-five years ago. If I want to evaluate my performance, it's basically like looking at the average of my test scores in mathematics from my last fifteen years of school. It's kind of meaningless. Doesn't really say very much about my performance these past few weeks or months.

The website is also a horrible joke when it comes to organization. Check out your mech stats, and be amazed that they are not ordered in any logical way, nor even sorted by owned mechs vs. trials and ones you don't own anymore. Heck, they even have duplicate entries for special variants of mechs - and there's no ability to sort the rows by anything. It's mind-blowing since a simple list in Sharepoint can be sorted and organized by default, but no... instead we get some tabular abomination. Well over a year ago I brought this up as an easy fix to improve the professional appearance of the game's website and make it easier for players. The response was "we'll look into that" followed by somebody posting a 3rd party tool that might make sense of the messed up website... It's embarrassing, really.

Edited by oldradagast, 29 February 2016 - 04:26 AM.

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:31 AM

I'd imagine laser accuracy would have to be a very subjective stat (due to duration).

Do you go with the beam contacting an enemy at any point during duration? You could wildly swing a laser and hit an enemy with it with minimal effort. Maybe count only if the very initial firing of the weapon strikes an opponent? That is probably the way to go.

#9 zeves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

You also have to keep in mind optimal range, how many times do you fire your medium lazers when they are outside of 450m.

#10 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:36 AM

View PostStarbomber109, on 28 February 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

In other shooters, a common end-of-game stat is shots fired vs shots hit. I feel like this wouldn't be a hard stat for the game to track, granted most people can probably figure it out, at least for ballistics, off of damage numbers vs ammo carried, but I for one would really like to know exactly how accurate my shots are so I can improve next time. I guess I'm just not sure why the game doesn't track it...or even if it could. (or is it a stat it tracks and is hidden from general view? As in, is it there buried in my profile somewhere?)

Because accuracy is a misnomer for Lasers especially, because any fool can start missing and get a small part of the beam on target.

#11 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 28 February 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

While technically true, you can derive partials from the information available.

For example, I have fired the IS medium laser 18,208 times and "hit" 15,825 times. Since we know that the IS medium laser does 5 damage (potential), I should have done 79,125 damage. But because my aim is crap, I have not; I have only done 47,671 damage.

47671 / 79125 = 0.602477 or 60.25%. In other words, I average about 3 damage per hit with my IS medium lasers.

If you then multiply that by my accuracy (86.91%) you get 52.36% which is my overall effectiveness with the IS medium laser. I.e. I average about 2.5 damage every time I fire an IS medium laser, including both hits and misses. That number is useful because it compares straight up with weapons that always do max damage when they hit such as LRMs and autocannons.

Note: crits affect these numbers, but since they affect all weapons roughly equally we can probably ignore their effect. Range also affects these numbers, more dramatically for short range weapons than for long range weapons. It's hard to say whether or not damage drop off due to range is significant, though it's almost certainly not when comparing weapons of similar range.

You are forgetting damage falloff as well. You aren't deriving accuracy so much as you are deriving efficacy,

#12 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

My stats are wildly inaccurate anyway. My total wins and losses is about 80 matches less than total games played in my DWF-Prime, same issue with a lot of other mechs. I don't trust anything on my stats page.

#13 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostBilbo, on 29 February 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

You are forgetting damage falloff as well. You aren't deriving accuracy so much as you are deriving efficacy,

Probably the mote important thing to consider incidentally.

#14 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 29 February 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

Probably the mote important thing to consider incidentally.

Probably so.

#15 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostBilbo, on 29 February 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

Which I noted and explained. Also, as I explained, I'm deriving overall effectiveness which combines accuracy with the percent of max damage that you do.

#16 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

Not to mention, it's pretty common to goof off at the beginning of matches and shoot weapon for the heck of it. That should count into accuracy rating for match score and cbill rewards?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users