10 replies to this topic

#1 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Anyone know the limitations of the current engine and how that affects MWO?
Do we know if those limitations will be remedied with the new version of cryengine? Or would we need a completely new engine to do this?

Current Limitations I can think of:
PIP
Swappable ammo
Quad Mechs
Moving platforms in maps (not sure if this was one, or just one that required a lot of netcode work)

#2 Sir Crazy

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

The only real limits are the number of programmers and the time they are allowed to work on the game. Given enough time they could make the engine do just about anything.

Star Citizen uses the CryTech engine but they have over 100 million dollars in funding and a small army of programmers (including former CryTech employees).

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

There is nothing that Cryengine cannot do.

Developers, bandwidth, potatoes, however, have limitations.

#4 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Random crashes and .PAK errors
invisible walls, Knockdown issues (supposedly why it was removed guess it could happen to melee)
Rear view camera, Sticking to buildings, buggy altitude and scaling certain obstacles

Unreal would be a wonderful engine to head towards to
after all MW5 was supposed to be on it

Edited by Armored Yokai, 29 February 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

programmers always have the option of writing their own systems in house, in the case that a system that comes with the engine is lacking. its that or deal with the limits of off the shelf components. i miss the days when developers would just opt to write their own engine in house, to their exacting specifications. you could then turn around and sell that engine in addition to your game (if you ever played interstate '76 you may recognize the engine, its from mechwarrior 2).

#6 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Inverse kinematics
Delayed Convergence
Something something server side hit registration
Never ending SRM hatred problems

Edited by TexAce, 29 February 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#7 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

1. Cryengine is a friggin hog and bogs down all but the most powerful of computers
2. It's not as easy to program for compared to Unreal or Unity
3. It has very little community or 3rd party support compared to Unreal or Unity

Basically all things that add up to slower dev time and poorer system performance

#8 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostSir Crazy, on 29 February 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

The only real limits are the number of programmers and the time they are allowed to work on the game. Given enough time they could make the engine do just about anything.

Star Citizen uses the CryTech engine but they have over 100 million dollars in funding and a small army of programmers (including former CryTech employees).

Of course, but we obviously don't have what Star Citizen has in terms of resources (time, developers, money). So my main question is: what would be the next best engine that already supports the things that would otherwise take PGI 4 years to implement? And, aside from my list that I have in my OP, what other things should the next engine be capable of doing out of the box?

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 29 February 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

I wouldn't expect a while lot different more than what we currently have. As in it doesn't matter if you have best most capable engine in the world, if you don't utilize the potential or have specific min viable goals ie mooar mechs aka tunnel vision. Not salty at all, and love me some mechs all the same, it's just that the majority of things people have asked for should be and are possible ON an engine basis alone. Not getting into the whole "its cuz it's server-side" argument." But come on you wanna tell me that in 3055 all the weather we have is sunny days with a sprinkle of derp fog? That's my answer to your OP, Next engine, I want some rain drops on my windshield. I want steam to form when a shoot my lasers at wet asphalt, or water to boil when I shoot the water. Lightning that arcs across the sky due to the amount of mass ordinance being lobbed, rendering the landscape in a stark contrast. That's what I want. Atmosphere.

Edited by JackalBeast, 29 February 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#10 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

Anyone remember the UI bugs from a couple of years ago? Where text would get replaced by WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and such? That was from a CryEngine bug. That MWO's developers had to fix.

#11 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hardcore l33t programming skillz saw it through

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users