Suggestion To Improve Quick Play

25 replies to this topic

#1 JonDunbar

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:48 PM

I've been playing the game for about 3 months now and I love it. The entertainment value/dollar for me is great.

My biggest complaint so far would have to be blindly choosing a variant/loadout prior to knowing where I will be fighting. Fortunately, I have a solution that I feel fits well with both the design of the game as well as the role playing aspect of flying into a combat zone.

The game already encourages players to own 3 variants of each chassis due to mech trees. With my idea one would have various loadouts built for different types of engagement, as most people already have. You would select your chassis (Timberwolf, Cheetah, etc) and enter Quick Play. Matchmaker will compile two teams and send you to map/game mode selection. After the map is selected and you go to drop ship prep you would then be able to choose which owned variant you want to bring to that particular map. Alpine Peaks? Then bring your ER loadout. Mining Collective? You might want jump jets. Terra Therma? Leave the dual PPCs at home.

It only makes sense that we would be properly equipped for combat on the planet to which we are flying.

Any thoughts?

#2 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:02 AM

Nope. Will lead to 1 map wonder builds where people bring hot mechs to cold maps because they know they can always get away with it. You can almost already do that now with map voting

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:17 AM

As Trout said, map voting already lessened the need for bringing certain mechs to certain maps. Whenever I level up Maulers, I use the dakka versions first to build up map voting, and then when the time comes to get a first win of the day using the gauss+ERLL version, I use up the map votes to get Polar, Alpine, or Tourmaline. Works like a charm.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 March 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#4 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:02 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 01 March 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

Nope. Will lead to 1 map wonder builds where people bring hot mechs to cold maps because they know they can always get away with it. You can almost already do that now with map voting

Agreed. We tried that lunacy for a month or so and the game degenerated into Frozen City + Skirmish Online, with nothing but that map and map mode being voted for every time it was possible. It was rather revealing what too many player want - not a "thinking man's shooter," but easy-mode wins. Bigger point is that allowing full map selection, or picking a mech after the fact will kill whatever variety is left in the game.

#5 Meathook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

Shouldn't we rather try to make the alternatives more attractive instead of trying to force players into unwanted modes and maps though?

#6 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:16 AM

View PostJonDunbar, on 29 February 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

I've been playing the game for about 3 months now and I love it. The entertainment value/dollar for me is great.

You are at newbie Tier 4. When you will reach proper Tier all your matches will be crap like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostJonDunbar, on 29 February 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

My biggest complaint so far would have to be blindly choosing a variant/loadout prior to knowing where I will be fighting. Fortunately, I have a solution that I feel fits well with both the design of the game as well as the role playing aspect of flying into a combat zone.

The game already encourages players to own 3 variants of each chassis due to mech trees. With my idea one would have various loadouts built for different types of engagement, as most people already have. You would select your chassis (Timberwolf, Cheetah, etc) and enter Quick Play. Matchmaker will compile two teams and send you to map/game mode selection. After the map is selected and you go to drop ship prep you would then be able to choose which owned variant you want to bring to that particular map. Alpine Peaks? Then bring your ER loadout. Mining Collective? You might want jump jets. Terra Therma? Leave the dual PPCs at home.

It only makes sense that we would be properly equipped for combat on the planet to which we are flying.

Any thoughts?

And yes, you are right. There is obvious imbalance in this game: 1) Big maps gimp slow 'Mechs, but small ones don't gimp fast ones 2) Maps, that lack cover, gimp brawler, but maps with lots of cover don't gimp snipers.

So there are 'Mechs, that "right" for every map and there are 'Mechs, that "wrong" is 50% cases. Ability to choose 'Mech for certain map would solve this problem.

Those guys, who tell you "NO!", are those, who play Meta builds, like Gauss/ER-LL boats, or Meta Light 'Mechs, like Arctic Cheater, so every map in this game suits them. They think, that they are so good, because they guessed to do it and all other players are scrubs, cuz they don't do it too. They just don't want to lose their advantage: they need other players to be easy frags - they don't want all players to be equally competitive on all maps. They tell you "adapt and improve" - it actually means play same Meta builds too or GTFO. But this is just boring. What the purpose of having MechLab in this game, if all 'Mech should be exactly the same to be competitive? If I have 7 Battlemaster variants - I don't all of them to be exactly the same laser vomit build.

Edited by MrMadguy, 01 March 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#7 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:33 AM

Ive always found I can get whatever map I like just by running a loadout that is least suited for it.

#8 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:04 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 01 March 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

You are at newbie Tier 4. When you will reach proper Tier all your matches will be crap like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And yes, you are right. There is obvious imbalance in this game: 1) Big maps gimp slow 'Mechs, but small ones don't gimp fast ones 2) Maps, that lack cover, gimp brawler, but maps with lots of cover don't gimp snipers.

So there are 'Mechs, that "right" for every map and there are 'Mechs, that "wrong" is 50% cases. Ability to choose 'Mech for certain map would solve this problem.

Those guys, who tell you "NO!", are those, who play Meta builds, like Gauss/ER-LL boats, or Meta Light 'Mechs, like Arctic Cheater, so every map in this game suits them. They think, that they are so good, because they guessed to do it and all other players are scrubs, cuz they don't do it too. They just don't want to lose their advantage: they need other players to be easy frags - they don't want all players to be equally competitive on all maps. They tell you "adapt and improve" - it actually means play same Meta builds too or GTFO. But this is just boring. What the purpose of having MechLab in this game, if all 'Mech should be exactly the same to be competitive? If I have 7 Battlemaster variants - I don't all of them to be exactly the same laser vomit build.

Hold your horses man. A new player proposed smth and you take the opportunity to spill all your salt, classy move.
Can't find the energy to counter your false presumptions right now, but sounds like you need a break from the game tbh.

#9 JonDunbar

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:08 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 March 2016 - 03:17 AM, said:

As Trout said, map voting already lessened the need for bringing certain mechs to certain maps. Whenever I level up Maulers, I use the dakka versions first to build up map voting, and then when the time comes to get a first win of the day using the gauss+ERLL version, I use up the map votes to get Polar, Alpine, or Tourmaline. Works like a charm.

The point is that you wouldn't have to build up map votes. You just select Maulers so that your tonnage is locked in and if the map vote selects Polar or Alpine then you would choose your gauss+ERLL version, otherwise you would choose dakka.

#10 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

View PostJonDunbar, on 01 March 2016 - 05:08 AM, said:

The point is that you wouldn't have to build up map votes. You just select Maulers so that your tonnage is locked in and if the map vote selects Polar or Alpine then you would choose your gauss+ERLL version, otherwise you would choose dakka.

Look, they're trying to say, that playing Frozen in laser vomit build - is bad thing, but stomping brawlers at Polar in snipe build - is good one. Nice logic. Yeah? And I have always been saying, that laser vomit - is weapon imbalance problem, caused by massive PPC/Ballistic/Missile nerfs - not map design problem. But, you know... It's so great to use buzzwords to justify your arguments. I tweeted Russ about it - he answered exactly this: "We don't want Frozen to be laser vomit fest". Problem isn't with Frozen - problem is with laser vomit. Fix laser vomit - problem solved.

Edited by MrMadguy, 01 March 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#11 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 01 March 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

You mean like every single sane commander would do before dropping Mechs on a battlefield?
Preposterous!! Posted Image

Of COURSE this would be a good thing. A normal thing. A fair thing.
Hot builds for cold maps.
Cold builds for hot maps.
Brawl builds for brawl maps.
Snipe builds for big maps (or surprise rush-brawl builds nevertheless, hrhr)

Would be the most normal thing in the world. Logically, lore-wise, everything.

I very much like the idea with the variants.
Thumbs up!

It would also allow to pick a proper camo for a map (white for ice, etc.).
Currently you apply a nice jungle camp and land on an ice map, or vice versa.

Edited by Paigan, 01 March 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#12 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

Go to hell, PGI, with your ER-LL boating crap. Everybody and their grannies boat ER-LLs and troll you from 1k meters and you're told, that 'Mech selection can't be implemented, cuz we don't want Frozen to be laser vomit fest, lol. I refuse to play Alpine without pair of Gausses, sorry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 01 March 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Not a lot of Meta here. Lately dropping in the dreaded PPC / ERPPC mechs trying to re-engender a love for PPFLD.

Those that rely solely on meta and 1 dimensional builds can be made to suffer for it.

Got a 7 erml Summoner shooting at you? Take his left side. Watch him cry the rest of the match because all he can do is provide ECM to his team.

Got a 2 ERPPC SHC take his right side. Watch him cry the rest of the match because all he can do is provide ECM to his team.

Got a 4 CLPLer WHK? Take his arms.

And so on.

#14 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostiLLcapitan, on 01 March 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

Hold your horses man. A new player proposed smth and you take the opportunity to spill all your salt, classy move.
Can't find the energy to counter your false presumptions right now, but sounds like you need a break from the game tbh.

Welcome at ForumWarrior Online for every tier5 forum warriors Posted Image.

PS: OP idea is of course great and have been already proposed tonns of time but you know PGI is in charge also let them try lots of failing idea then MAYBE one day they will improve the game ( with this idea for CW for example ).

#15 Meathook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 01 March 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Go to hell, PGI, with your ER-LL boating crap. Everybody and their grannies boat ER-LLs and troll you from 1k meters and you're told, that 'Mech selection can't be implemented, cuz we don't want Frozen to be laser vomit fest, lol. I refuse to play Alpine without pair of Gausses, sorry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow, you have difficulties to deal with a 2 ERLL Cicada while sitting in a Mauler. How exactly did you even leave tier 5? Won't you just do us all a favour and quit, instead of just announcing it everyday on the forums while stomping your feet?

Edited by Meathook, 01 March 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#16 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Lol, looks like same Cicada have just killed me at Polar. I was so frustrated, that haven't even taken screenshot. Are you kidding me??? I really start thinking, that we really need sized hardpoints to prevent crap like this.

Remove Alpine and Polar from rotation or let me choose my 2xGauss Mauler-2P instead. As simple, as that. Otherwise I refuse to play this maps.

Edited by MrMadguy, 01 March 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#17 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 01 March 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hate to this say this buddy, but I think it's more of a skill thing than PGI's fault. Maybe try not standing out in the open next time. Posted Image

#18 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

heu lol?

#19 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostMatt2496, on 01 March 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

Hate to this say this buddy, but I think it's more of a skill thing than PGI's fault. Maybe try not standing out in the open next time. Posted Image

How can you avoid open space, if in order to do it you have to walk 1K meters to other side of mountain and he follows you and shoots your back from 1K meters?

#20 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 01 March 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

How can you avoid open space, if in order to do it you have to walk 1K meters to other side of mountain and he follows you and shoots your back from 1K meters?

Well, you could try torso twisting for a start (Never stare). Also, it looks like you were on a hill. You could have easily backed up and prevented any further damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users