5 replies to this topic

#1 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

I've "basic-ed" my two griffins (2N and 1N) and now I'm looking for the third variant to elite them. According to Metamechs the best Griffin variant is the 3M but to me it seems very similar to the 2N (without ECM and with a Laser on the LT instead of right arm) and I fear it would be a sort of duplicate of the 2N...
The 1S is considered one of the worst variant (4 laser and 2 missiles hardpoins). What really worries me is the 4 laser on the right arm: if I lose that part, I'll say goodbye to 3/4 of my firepower.
What do you suggest? The Sparky seems a good one but it's a hero and so MC only so it's out of the question right now.
Thanks,
D.

#2 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

I really enjoy the 3M, I play it mostly like the 2N but it has the advantage of having all four missile hardpoints in the same torso, giving a bit better spread when alpha-ing. It does lack ECM, but on the plus side that's extra tonnage to play with, for extra ammo or a heat sink or even engine size.
Having everything on one side also gets you into better habits of firing, and then twisting away to shield with your empty side. With an asymmetrical build like that, you can always just twist in the same direction when shielding.

#3 Cattleman

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts
  • LocationJefferson, USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Griffin 3M for sure!

I've built mine like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a72d7a9f2e3a227

Decent speed, plus STD engine survivability.

AND you'll get an XL 275 that's rather useful on hit&run / striker light builds.

#4 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

I play the 1S like a Centurion AH and do fine but I'm in the minority, the 3M was the most popular Griffin prior to the 2N and works best for most.

Note: the Sparky was well worth the money for me, it's my go to Medium for most drops. I would wait for a C-Bill sell then a Hero sell before spending real money. In the mean time, 3M is only C-Bills.

#5 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

1S, I did as a LRM boat, ALRM20, 900 missiles, TAG and 3ML.
3M I did with 2MPL + 4 Streaks, you can also do 4SRM, great Light Hunter.

#6 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll go with 3M, it's expensive like a battlemaster (8 mln) but XL275 engine could be useful for a light.
Saving C-bills in the meantime (almost 4 mlns and counting :) ).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users