New Flamer Whoa....

36 replies to this topic

#21 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

I still haven't seen anybody use the flamer since the change. Not sure if its a case of it being so bad for so long that nobody even wants to try it, or if its still just underwhelming.

#22 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

Suddenly the Gauss is meta again, can't overheat a gauss boat.

#23 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 01 March 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

We need a new consumable to fight flamers.

White T-Shirt
When above 75% heat, you can splash a bucket of water over your mech, instantly cooling it to 0% and making it invulnerable to external heat sources for 10 seconds.
The white t-shirt becomes translucent.
Bonus: On a cold map, your mech may grow two side torso mounted machine guns which can be used to help deter opponents for the duration of the cooling effect.

Can only be equipped on Spiders, Kit Foxes, Griffins, Hellbringers, Black knights and Banshees*

#24 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

I still haven't seen a single Flamer in-game since they were "fixed." All my Unit buddies still say they're busted, although better, and still aren't worth equipping.

#25 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Just made myself a Doom Flamer x3 Flamers, x4 SPL, Tag on BJ-3

So far this thing is wicked against the laser boats. They get about 1 volley and they are toasted. I simply stand on them and alternate flamers and lasers and heat is great.

Ran up on a Timber Wolf all laser'd out... went at him with flamers rollin'... He got in a couple hits but was down for the count literally within 3-4 seconds. I stood right in front of him with the flamers going and the lasers...every time he came back up he got off one shot and went back down. He went override and eventually did most of the dmg for me.

Was just a test suicide run basically... So far 3 of 3 matches I shut down any mech that is firing most weapons that I focus on... and usually within seconds. It is a great support rig but not much for dmg.

Ran with a couple of Adders a few times with Flamer builds and we charged their assaults and had them in heat trouble quickly. They couldn't fire back without going down. We eventually got busted and killed but our assaults wiped their out as we kept them powered down.... Was a lot of fun...and quite a different style of play.

#26 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

View Postcazidin, on 01 March 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Give it a patch or two. They'll be useless again.

Most likely. That basically is how they operate. Small, incremental changes when big changes are needed, and big changes when small, incremental ones are needed.

#27 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

It's a one vs one weapon guys so the only thing broken here is your ability to work as a team.

#28 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

Yes I agree it is a 1vs1 weapon. In the name of science I have been hunting down lone mechs and literally able to stand in front of them point blank (assuming they are alone AND generate lots of weapon heat). So far with 4 flamers now and 4 ML I take only moderate damage from them before they shut down.... This is standing right in their face. Usually they try to run...or hit the override and end up blowing themselves up (which sucks I don't get the kill for it). Making some vids to show just how hard these Flamers hit their heat.... I ran up on a Battlemaster and Orion earlier (decided to play with an 8 flamer rig ha) that were standing next to the other. I shut them both down after about 5 seconds but took a cheetah attack from behind.

Been running with the assault lances in matches as I test the builds out.... the second they get into a brawl I pounce the flamers and shut em down asap. Makes for some very easy kills for the assaults.

#29 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

View PostReemusX, on 02 March 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

Yes I agree it is a 1vs1 weapon. In the name of science I have been hunting down lone mechs and literally able to stand in front of them point blank (assuming they are alone AND generate lots of weapon heat). So far with 4 flamers now and 4 ML I take only moderate damage from them before they shut down.... This is standing right in their face. Usually they try to run...or hit the override and end up blowing themselves up (which sucks I don't get the kill for it). Making some vids to show just how hard these Flamers hit their heat.... I ran up on a Battlemaster and Orion earlier (decided to play with an 8 flamer rig ha) that were standing next to the other. I shut them both down after about 5 seconds but took a cheetah attack from behind.

Been running with the assault lances in matches as I test the builds out.... the second they get into a brawl I pounce the flamers and shut em down asap. Makes for some very easy kills for the assaults.

Like a narc for brawls , is a utility equipment.

#30 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:04 PM

Flamers are Paul's answer to a hard counter to Energy vomit for brawlers. The problem is, flamers range is so short, they do nothing about ranged flamer vomit and instead flamers have completely shut down brawling. I'm running 4 UAC/5 + 2 Flamers now, that's the meta now, its ridiculous.

#31 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

What, relying on pure laser vomit has a down side now?. Huh.

Same thing happened to me tonight by a flamer jenner McGral was in...i had 2 LRM 15's and 3 mediums and a TAG, hardly LASER VOMIT.

He hit me at about 50%-55% i got off my 3 meds at him as he hit me with the flamers and it was INSTA OVERHEAT, he then tried to headshot me and missed like a scrub. lol :P

They are still pretty broken, They shouldn't be INSTA STUN LOCK weapons should take a similar amount of time to kill a mech with LASER or FLAMERS. Right now if the meta swapped to FLAMERS TTK would be much lower then it would with the current laser vomit. I can last quite a long time in a poke match but agasnt a well piloted flamer light in a mech that doesn't have ballistics and its a 3 or 4 seconds fight ending with a well placed headshot.

#32 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

View PostReemusX, on 01 March 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

Was running 4 ERLL Stalker and had a Nova packing 3 Clan Flamers run up on me....

View PostRevis Volek, on 02 March 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

Same thing happened to me tonight by a flamer jenner McGral was in...i had 2 LRM 15's and 3 mediums and a TAG, hardly LASER VOMIT.

Someone seeing a pattern here too?

#33 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostAveren, on 02 March 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Someone seeing a pattern here too?

Yes.

Flamer a bit too OP right now.

#34 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 02 March 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yes.

Flamer a bit too OP right now.

Nah, let me enlighten you:

It's about lone long range laser/LRM boats without any close support whining about lights/meds running up to them with a 90m weapon that doesn't do any damage and requires constant attention. OP is even worse, a solo assault.

Can't see the irony in that? Then learn to play. That death was your fault alone, and would have occured very similar with non-flamer lights/meds, it's because you got into a bad situation.

Edited by Averen, 02 March 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#35 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

The OP would be in the same situation vs one Jenner too.

Light mechs OP? lol

Yeah, getting caught in the open on your own with a meta Assault and got gutted by a troll build. I've seen more people use Narc than flamers in the last 50 games. If I ever face the OP, I sincerely hope he switched out a few of his LLs for flamers. =)

#36 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:33 PM

View PostAveren, on 02 March 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

Nah, let me enlighten you:

It's about lone long range laser/LRM boats without any close support whining about lights/meds running up to them with a 90m weapon that doesn't do any damage and requires constant attention. OP is even worse, a solo assault.

Can't see the irony in that? Then learn to play. That death was your fault alone, and would have occured very similar with non-flamer lights/meds, it's because you got into a bad situation.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

End of story. try again, if you think im so bad, friend me in game and we can 1v1 this out. I never said i wouldn't have DIED either way, i never said anything of that nature, you made assumptions based off what you wanted to hear.

I said, maybe a little more clearly for you, you should not be able to KILL A MECH FASTER WITH FLAMERS THEN LASERS.

Please dont put words in my mouth. I was already crit in 3 locations (including my head from fending off a similar situation earlier) against some very, very good players. I never said i shouldn't have died, i was in a LRM boat about 200 meters off what was left of my team. This isnt my first rodeo cowboy...

You missed the point of my post entirely, Flamers are a bit OP in my opinion and you can take it or leave it but please if you wanna lecture me about learning to play then come play me first and get gud scrub and all that jazz you seem to think makes you sounds like a good mechwarrior.

#37 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:24 AM

In my defense... I never "go solo" especially in an assault... However I do find myself left alone when the team takes off from the assaults... especially on Frozen City which is where the original post came from.

IMO nothing is really OP (LRM spammers, flamers, etc etc) since there is a counter to nearly everything...which is a good team. I play mainly CW now, only playing in quick matches during a cease-fire or to level up a new set of mechs. Obviously QP matches you never know how the team is going to play. Still in Tier4 which seems to have quite a mix...

The Flamers I won't call OP entirely... I will say they MOST DEFINITELY do what they were designed to do. I had a 15min match in QP with my 4 Flamer 4 MPL Blackjack build on Terra Therma where I used flamers only as the team moved up. I did a total of 11 damage with flamers lol. I think I had them running nonstop. I racked up 11 assists and shut down mechs for the team. 2 of those shut downs resulted in "suicides" from desperate players trying to use their weapons.

Not really OP with the above matches I have posted.... If the opposing team sees what I am doing I will be swatted down the second I get into their firing line. Luckily, most consider the assaults on my team as a priority and I usually have free reign in a close quarters fight between teams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users