Lrm Is Most Skill Intensive Weapon System Right Now.

Balance Gameplay

12 replies to this topic

#1 AbsUserName

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStar Leagues afield.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

Try LRM direct fire. Over 5800 matches since the end of 2014, I've managed circa 10 hits so far.

We need direct path LRM for direct fire. Maybe if there is a target (press R), the LRM will kinda follow the mech (with limited pathing, mostly straight course: aiming would still matter), and if there is none, it will just go to where the reticle was (minefield layering?).

For indirect fire, the current mechanic is fine (wait a couple seconds for a lock, homing missiles).

To switch between direct and indirect fire, there would be a switch like the ECM one.

Ammo switch (minefield, etc), just like with LB-X ammo switch (nudge nudge, wink wink hahahha).

#2 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

MRM's?

#3 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

no, its just a different kind of a skillset
reading the battlefield, positioning, COORDINATION

direct fire... IS LRM minimum range is my biggest problem - tracking penalty at close would be more apropriate, with Artemis flattening the trajectory more below a certain range and allowing use as a unwieldy SSRM of some type
(dont take this literally please, its just a thought line)

or, yes, even better, a switch Posted Image

View Postthehiddenedge, on 01 March 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

MRM's?

MRM's are dumbfires

i vote ATMs :-)

also more sizes of SSRM would help... and Arrow IV's Posted Image

Edited by Thunderbird Anthares, 01 March 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#4 AbsUserName

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStar Leagues afield.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

The LRM minimum range drives me nuts.

Clan LRM should be like the original: all range. Do full damage even close.

IS LRM should be like clans are now. Do decreasing damage as the target gets closer than 180m.

#5 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostAbsUserName, on 01 March 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

The LRM minimum range drives me nuts.

Clan LRM should be like the original: all range. Do full damage even close.

IS LRM should be like clans are now. Do decreasing damage as the target gets closer than 180m.

i think they should all do full damage in all ranges except in "face" range - where they should just shatter (or do damage to BOTH mechs, would prefer that for all missiles actually) - except IS LRM missile systems should get progressively crappier on tracking with shorter range (this is BT canon, though not numerically accurate)

edit:
Extended LRM versions would be nice too - and those could have minimum range due to the booster on missiles

Edited by Thunderbird Anthares, 01 March 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#6 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

I wouldn't say that. They require a different set of skills and play style though.

Positioning is probably one of the most important things for lurms. You have to be close enough to fight, but far enough out not to get sucked in under min range.

You also have to learn to pay very close attention to your mini map. You have to learn to anticipate where your team is moving as well as where the enemy force is coming from. You have to learn when and where to take your shots.

If you want to get really effective with them then you have to learn how to do things like suppress with them even in dumb firing, give away enemy positions through AMS, turning back entire lances by cycling through targets and launchers quickly.

Not the most skill intensive, just a different set of skills if you want to be able to use them effectively.

#7 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostThunderbird Anthares, on 01 March 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

MRM's are dumbfires

i vote ATMs :-)

also more sizes of SSRM would help... and Arrow IV's Posted Image

except that ATM's are Clan tech.
So MML's too? except that they weren't even around until 3067..

I'd like Arrow IV's, but so few mechs could even use them.

Then there's this... 15 crit slots for IS, 12 for Clan..

#8 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, well, clans OP :-)
MMLs are effectively IS ATMs, that would work, but obviously we cant stick to tabletop numbers in a direct control game - just keep the idea and work with it

as for Arrows... its a big fat missile, make it a ~AC20 sized monster and give it a damage bonus with TAG/NARC on the field (or only with TAG?), wait for the outrage and balance, viola, done Posted Image

Edited by Thunderbird Anthares, 01 March 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#9 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

LRMs? Don't let Gman know you carry them! He'll scold you and advise a PPC/Gauss or Laser Vomit build!

#10 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:51 PM

View Postcazidin, on 01 March 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

LRMs? Don't let Gman know you carry them! He'll scold you and advise a PPC/Gauss or Laser Vomit build!

i'd reply to that and elaborate on such builds, but i'd get banned for doing so - so just imagine what i implied :-)

Edited by Thunderbird Anthares, 01 March 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#11 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 01 March 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that. They require a different set of skills and play style though.

Positioning is probably one of the most important things for lurms. You have to be close enough to fight, but far enough out not to get sucked in under min range.

You also have to learn to pay very close attention to your mini map. You have to learn to anticipate where your team is moving as well as where the enemy force is coming from. You have to learn when and where to take your shots.

If you want to get really effective with them then you have to learn how to do things like suppress with them even in dumb firing, give away enemy positions through AMS, turning back entire lances by cycling through targets and launchers quickly.

Not the most skill intensive, just a different set of skills if you want to be able to use them effectively.

Welcome nugget!

I see that you've completed basic training on battlefield situational awareness and simple tactical knowledge.

Next will be how to survive in your mech by mitigating damage while still maintaining situational awareness.

Now let's move onto aiming precisely with weapons and assessing and then knowing where to hit the enemy mech while mitigating damage while exposing yourself to incoming fire and maintaining situational awareness.

If you can't get past the situational awareness stage step over to the left to learn how to just press a launch button and how to politely ask your team to hold locks.

#12 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

View PostThunderbird Anthares, on 01 March 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

i'd reply to that and elaborate on such builds, but i'd get banned for doing so - so just imagine what i implied :-)

/gasp! Such foul and colorful language! You should be ashamed, sir! Ashamed!

#13 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

Haters gonna hate :-)

And can we please keep the LRM hate out of this thread? We already have one where we went through it, and frankly im tired of having to argue about it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users