#1 Jaegon

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Right now I can hop on the site and buy these new mech packs for basically $35 for 3 mechs and a hero mech. Which is fantastic and a pricepoint that seems to work well for people. Bueno.

But if someone wanted to go back and pick up something like a series of Timberwolves, or Ebon Jags... they're still $55 for the "ala cart" pricing packs.

I dunno, but personally there's no incentive to go back and straight purchase those older clan mechs at the older pricing. Seems like the revenue from those could get a boost if they were reduced in the online store to match the current prices better.

Maybe they're incentivizing people to shell out for MC instead? I haven't done the math on the cost of enough MC to go buy 3-4 clan mechs, but I'm pretty sure that would be way more than $35.

Anyway, just trying to be helpful.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

They don't expect people to buy the older packs, they expect people to buy the newest grabdeal pack whenever a new one is announced.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostJaegon, on 01 March 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

Right now I can hop on the site and buy these new mech packs for basically $35 for 3 mechs and a hero mech. Which is fantastic and a pricepoint that seems to work well for people. Bueno.

But if someone wanted to go back and pick up something like a series of Timberwolves, or Ebon Jags... they're still $55 for the "ala cart" pricing packs.

I dunno, but personally there's no incentive to go back and straight purchase those older clan mechs at the older pricing. Seems like the revenue from those could get a boost if they were reduced in the online store to match the current prices better.

Maybe they're incentivizing people to shell out for MC instead? I haven't done the math on the cost of enough MC to go buy 3-4 clan mechs, but I'm pretty sure that would be way more than $35.

Anyway, just trying to be helpful.

the $$$ price is based on the MC price, the MC price is based on the C-bill price of the mechs... Clan mechs cost more C-bills, meaning they cost more MC, meaning they cost more $$$ to buy. And yes I know a fully kitted out light / medium with a big XL engine can cost as much as if not more than some Clan mechs, but out of the box, Clan mechs have these upgrades, and PGI felt at the time, that was worth a bit extra $.

#4 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

Here is a graph describing the rise and fall of average prices in MWO over the last 3 years.

Posted Image

I don't expect it to ever change, really. They'll sell those full price hero mechs and Wave 1 mech packs until the end, I'm sure. Whether that's the right move? No idea, I'm not an economist and I don't have access to their data or their surveys, if they ever did any. Seems odd though.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 01 March 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

the $$$ price is based on the MC price, the MC price is based on the C-bill price of the mechs... Clan mechs cost more C-bills, meaning they cost more MC, meaning they cost more $$$ to buy. And yes I know a fully kitted out light / medium with a big XL engine can cost as much as if not more than some Clan mechs, but out of the box, Clan mechs have these upgrades, and PGI felt at the time, that was worth a bit extra $.

It's still funny that the Clan IIC mechs cost less real-life-money to order grabdeal packs for than the Clan Omnis.

#6 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 March 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

They don't expect people to buy the older packs, they expect people to buy the newest grabdeal pack whenever a new one is announced.

They might see in an increase in sales on the older content if they reduced pricing. If that content is selling poorly because it's old, it might be time to reduce the price to get cash flowing again.

#7 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 March 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

It's still funny that the Clan IIC mechs cost less real-life-money to order grabdeal packs for than the Clan Omnis.

Well the IIC's are meant to be trash mechs from the Clan point of view, not as cutting edge as Omni's.... funny how MWO has it backwards...

#8 Jaegon

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

The flaw in that argument (that Clan mechs are just more expensive) is that I just bought the Kodiak for $35.

I guess you could say it's about Omnimech vs Battlemech, but that doesn't seem to offset a 100 ton Clan Kodiak costing much less than something like the Ebon Jaguar in real cash.

Edited by Jaegon, 01 March 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 01 March 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

They might see in an increase in sales on the older content if they reduced pricing. If that content is selling poorly because it's old, it might be time to reduce the price to get cash flowing again.

Mind you that I wasn't saying I liked it the way they do it, I was just being cynical as always.

One possible issue for this might be some people getting buttmad over having bought the grabdeals at full price instead of the new reduced price. You know it would happen...

View PostMetus regem, on 01 March 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

Well the IIC's are meant to be trash mechs from the Clan point of view, not as cutting edge as Omni's.... funny how MWO has it backwards...

In some cases the "second line" Battlemechs were actually superior to the Omnimechs. Look at some like the Rifleman IIC, Locust IIC, and Commando IIC as a few examples...

For MWO, all of the IICs have mediocre durability or lower, so they don't exactly outclass the good Omnis.

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

In some cases the "second line" Battlemechs were actually superior to the Omnimechs. Look at some like the Rifleman IIC, Locust IIC, and Commando IIC as a few examples...

For MWO, all of the IICs have mediocre durability or lower, so they don't exactly outclass the good Omnis.

I come from a TT background, my Clan Assault mech of choice has always been and always will be a Warhammer IIC4... 2t of standard ATM ammo and 4t of HE ATM ammo, go wreak face.

#11 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

The IICs need structure and/or agility quirks. At least, the poor Highlander does.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

League of Legends lower the price of one of their older champions permanently (RL money and in game money price), once a new champion comes out. I really like that.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 March 2016 - 05:08 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users