20 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

Does anyone else look at the IIC mechs and say "eewww"...

I mean REALLY look at them, They look rushed.... and it shows.

Throw up the image of an Orion vs Orion IIC for instance. It doesnt scream "primitive tech" as much as it screams lazy design. no curves like the IS Orion, and even the textures look grainy on Ultra settings vs the IS Orion looks smooth and presentable.

are any of you guys seeing this too?

I mean, i'd really like to pilot a IIC, but hot damn do they look terrible.

What are your thoughts?

#2 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

I kinda had the impression that IICs ended up being little more than slightly better versions of largely mediocre (or just bad) mechs. I can count the number of times I've seen a non-Jenner IIC of any chassis and variant on one hand over the last, say, month. I'm just not sure if they're worth the investment, but I don't have the first-hand experience piloting them to say for sure.

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,998 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

I dont think PGI likes the Orion, I sent in a request to fix the regular Orion

like they took the original drawing right into the game

Posted Image

bent knee still there

Posted Image

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

View PostDudeman3k, on 01 March 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

Does anyone else look at the IIC mechs and say "eewww"...

I mean REALLY look at them, They look rushed.... and it shows.

Throw up the image of an Orion vs Orion IIC for instance. It doesnt scream "primitive tech" as much as it screams lazy design. no curves like the IS Orion, and even the textures look grainy on Ultra settings vs the IS Orion looks smooth and presentable.

are any of you guys seeing this too?

I mean, i'd really like to pilot a IIC, but hot damn do they look terrible.

What are your thoughts?

Posted Image

I have AA turned off in this (because I'm running ReShade and it's own FXAA implementation, not shown) - still, I think this looks pretty damned sweet.

*shrugs* Dunno; works for me. I think it's damned sexy.

#5 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

I admit I haven't looked at the IIc mechs closely, but I was immensely disappointed with the Warhammer, Marauder, Rifleman, and Archer. They look like crappy clan knock-offs. Fortunately the Phoenix Hawk looks much better, although admittedly we have no way of knowing when these concepts where drawn by Allex. He could be sinking into a slump, or climbing out. But overall I agree, I have not been impressed with most of the recent mechs.

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 01 March 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

I kinda had the impression that IICs ended up being little more than slightly better versions of largely mediocre (or just bad) mechs. I can count the number of times I've seen a non-Jenner IIC of any chassis and variant on one hand over the last, say, month. I'm just not sure if they're worth the investment, but I don't have the first-hand experience piloting them to say for sure.

I do quite well with mine. They're fun mechs, and competent, but not amazing. They're still a comfortable T2 chassis, which puts them solidly in the "viable" category.

Fair enough to not like them: The Orion and Highlander in particular inherit all the weaknesses of their unquirked base chassis, which are significant. Still, both can carry a substantial amount of firepower with a large engine.

The Jenner is sketchy. The IIC (missile variant) is brutal on paper, but is made of paper and SRM hitreg gets increasingly unreliable as missile count increases, so it's not uncommon to see a Splat Jenner dump a couple loads of SRM's and accomplish absolutely nothing... And then die, because it's a larger version of a normal Jenner, and as that base chassis is all CT.

But all that said, I really, really enjoy the Hunchbacks and Orions. They're great mechs for me.

#7 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 01 March 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

I dont think PGI likes the Orion, I sent in a request to fix the regular Orion

like they took the original drawing right into the game

bent knee still there

Is the knee still bent in the current in-game model? I don't own Orions so I've never noticed.

I'm compiling a list of minor model fixes that could be accomplished during the rescale project. You'll probably see my thread on the first page in General over the next few days if I can keep it from being buried. One of the categories of model fixes is stance... something that would be easy to adjust since the models will mostly all have to go through rerigging and resetting for animation. If it's the consensus of the community that the Orion would be better off with a more upright stance, I'll include it on my list as an example of such a case.

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

I think the Orion IIC is just plain godawful looking as a mech...

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,998 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

Is the knee still bent in the current in-game model? I don't own Orions so I've never noticed.

I'm compiling a list of minor model fixes that could be accomplished during the rescale project. You'll probably see my thread on the first page in General over the next few days if I can keep it from being buried. One of the categories of model fixes is stance... something that would be easy to adjust since the models will mostly all have to go through rerigging and resetting for animation. If it's the consensus of the community that the Orion would be better off with a more upright stance, I'll include it on my list as an example of such a case.

Took a bit for me to remember but what I sent in to PGI was

1) The original drawing the cockpit looks centered in game it is off set (not sure on this one)

2) The Missile launchers don’t change when you change them in game (always shows 30 tubes)

3) The in game Orion Knee protector is as the knee is bent but side view shows the knee is not bent so both knee protectors should be the same

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 01 March 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

I think the Orion IIC is just plain godawful looking as a mech...

Its IS inspiration is butt ugly too, you know. :P

Looking forward to piloting the Hunchie-IICs.

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Are you kidding? The texture modeling on the IS Orion is crap. Most colors on it end up looking like the thing is coated in crayons

#12 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

I love my Orion IIC, as well as my Orion. <3 :)

#13 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

I like the HGN-IIC. Really thinking about whether I want them. Sadly, Clan tech is limiting since I'm an IS faction player and I already have a Summoner and a Timber Wolf for the group queue :)

#14 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 01 March 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

I have AA turned off in this (because I'm running ReShade and it's own FXAA implementation, not shown) - still, I think this looks pretty damned sweet.

*shrugs* Dunno; works for me. I think it's damned sexy.

It would look way sexier if the ballistics were 1 per torso like a proper Hunchback IIC.

I know...I know...Min/Max for effectiveness and all, and I don't blame anyone who does this of course, but this just makes me sad :(.

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:11 AM

Oh, BTW. The only thing that really bugs me about the IIC mechs is the Jenner IIC cockpit. That is an oversight that I am surprised hasn't been a bigger deal. The inside is clearly a standard Jenner. If PGI was going to do that from the start, why not just design the external cockpit glass of the Jenner IIC the same as the standard Jenner? Just looks lazy IMO.

#16 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

I have no problems with them.

#17 TamCoan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

I actually love the look of the Orion IIC. It feels like a boxy, clunky, cobbled together frankenmech. I sometimes go into 3P view just to watch is walk.

#18 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:42 AM

The Hunchie IIC is dead sexy

#19 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Apart from the textures, which I haven't looked at too closely:
  • Jenner IIC looks great. My only complaint is the way the cockpit design looks different from inside versus outside.
  • Hunchback IIC looks ok. I don't like the dynamic weapon geometry for laserboating.
  • Orion IIC looks ok. Hard to make this thing pretty, I wouldn't know where to start.
  • Highlander IIC looks great. A bit too chubby, maybe, but I really dig the general design.

#20 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 March 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

Its IS inspiration is butt ugly too, you know. Posted Image

Looking forward to piloting the Hunchie-IICs.

They are all fierce.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users