25 replies to this topic

#21 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostWolfways, on 02 March 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

But sometimes the lore is about how mechs are supposed to be used. It's not about teaching people how to play but about how mechs should be played according to lore.

For example, from http://www.sarna.net...g_%28Vulture%29

"The Mad Dog is a heavy Clan OmniMech used for long-range indirect fire support. With hunched shoulders, a protruding head, and reverse-jointed legs, the Mad Dog resembles a vulture, so much so that it was codenamed Vulture and Hagetaka ("Vulture" in Japanese) by the Inner Sphere forces which first encountered it. The name also fit the battlefield role of the Mad Dog; the main role of the Mad Dog is to act as a support 'Mech, and it often holds a hill maintaining constant watch over the entire battlefield, like a vulture waiting for its prey."

and...

"Mad Dog pilots have been known for showering missiles on opponents before swooping down with a finishing blow from the lasers, much like a vulture swooping down for carrion."

Anyone who tries to use a Mad Dog the way it was intended in BT would hit nothing with their LRM's and be dead in seconds from long range fire.

I'm not against having more lore in the game btw. I'd love it if there was a lot more used, but I'd love it more if pgi actually made the game to fit the lore.

I think once the eject animation and tanks and things like that are added this game will be pretty close, in fact a extremely well done translation to what MechWarrior was supposed to be like in a real time fps sim. Credit where credit is due.

Ever seen the Star Wars games try to bring that story to games? Or the other games based on movies or sci fi universe like Star Trek. Seriously, think about that for a second and how well PGI has done MechWarrior. This is the biggest compliment and totally true. If movie studios want to make games true to their roots, this is a good company for that, it may take a decade to do it though. :)

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 02 March 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Don't you guys read the books or something? Why is lore so important? You want to read instead of play?

I am being a bit facetious on the subject but I am not sure why a small blurp or two of text makes any difference in playing the game.

The games needs CW fleshed out so we can create our own lore:

Be careful watching it you might come to the realization that more mechs is not getting us any closer to this path.

I think this was more important, to add serious game play depth to, and I'm one of the guys that thinks walking around the mechbay should have been in 2 years ago.

Don't even get me started on pilot character creation and everything else missing, but a working star map was a good move.

Edited by Johnny Z, 02 March 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#22 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 02 March 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Lore is what makes MWO a BattleTech game instead of just a generic shooter, but if PGI is pandering to the eSports FPS crowd you won't see much lore because all that those bums are interested in are things like quirks, hardpoints (type, number and location), engine caps and hitboxes.

This game is niche enough that anybody wanting to play competitive has at least SOME devotion to the lore and IP of the BT universe. There is literally no reason for any esports-oriented gamer to settle on MWO as their game of choice. It's simply illogical. Instead what you have are BT/MW fans who enjoy PvP gameplay who also want an official outlet to a higher level of competition that still resides within the IP they enjoy.

SJR is at its very heart a CSJ unit.
EmP is a collection of many players, many of whom came from lore-based units.
228 is a lore based unit.

So yes, a good majority of the competitive crowd does in fact care about the BT universe and lore. They just care more about having a balanced game first and foremost, rather than having a bunch of useless RP-fluff that does nothing to actually improve the core gameplay or replayability.

#23 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Battletech lore would be ideal. Thats what I love about MechWarrior and Battletech. It's all about the lore. Learning the history and even reading about the politics is fun. If your into anything dealing with mechs the battletech novels are a good idea.

But say when you purchase a mech. It could have some interesting information on the mech. When it was made. What is was made for. Striking facts about certain clans or houses who use it most. Just lore. I'm sure PGI will add it into the game in the future. But there are so many ways to go about this. Again I agree with the topic of this post. Good one man. Stay safe out there pilots.

#24 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 02 March 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

I think once the eject animation and tanks and things like that are added this game will be pretty close, in fact a extremely well done translation to what MechWarrior was supposed to be like in a real time fps sim. Credit where credit is due.

Well the mechs look nice and pulse lasers sound good. Everything else sucks.
Small badly designed maps, pointless CW, weapons still not balanced after 4 years, ECM still broken...

Ever seen the Star Wars games try to bring that story to games? Or the other games based on movies or sci fi universe like Star Trek. Seriously, think about that for a second and how well PGI has done MechWarrior. This is the biggest compliment and totally true. If movie studios want to make games true to their roots, this is a good company for that, it may take a decade to do it though. Posted Image

When clan can customize omni-mechs to be able to use stock weapons like IS can, and clan are in stars instead of lances then I'll maybe consider MWO to be doing okay lore-wise. They are hugely important parts of the lore to me.
I'm not sure where you think pgi have addressed lore...other than mechs and equipment having names taken from BT.

#25 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

As much as I want immersive BT lore in the game, I understand why PGI hasn't included it. Lore doesn't sell mech packs and PGI simply doesn't have the resources to implement it into this game.

Look at it this way...America has very little "lore." The Romans, Greeks and Iroquois had plenty...where are they now?

#26 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 02 March 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

As much as I want immersive BT lore in the game, I understand why PGI hasn't included it. Lore doesn't sell mech packs and PGI simply doesn't have the resources to implement it into this game.

Look at it this way...America has very little "lore." The Romans, Greeks and Iroquois had plenty...where are they now?

To the first point. I don't but the lack of resources angle. If there is a legal issue to PGI not having access and the ability to reprint or incorporate the IP present on Sarna I'd buy that as an excuse to why its not in the game. But copying in existing mech descriptions into a text box associated with each mech -even if just in the store- an afternoon of work. Same thing with factions and even individual planets. Even something as crude as what I describe would go along way to making this "BattleTech Game" feel like, well, a battletech game. This is not a big programming job, not labor intensive and not cost prohibitive.

As to your second point: What?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users