What Is Your Personal Dmg/kdr Threshold?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hi all, I was recently looking at my mech stats and thinking about what kind of kdr and dmg I would like to aim for on certain mechs. Now, I'm technically a pretty new player, (about 300 hrs total, maybe 200 of which is actually in matches) so I know I'm not as good as a lot of you that have been playing for years, but I was wondering what kind of score do you aim for?

Personally, I aim for 500 average dmg and a kdr of 2+ on pretty much any mech. I only have a few mechs that actually get that, but it'll improve over time. Once I get weapon modules for my mechs that will probably help, too. Here's some examples of my top-scorers which meet my goal;

HBR-A
WHM-6R
STN-4N
HBK-IIC

So now I've said my targets and results, what kinds of goals do you guys aim for and what do you actually meet?

Thanks for reading my quick little topic Posted Image

Edit: Removed my (quite average) stats in order to not make this look like a bragging topic. I legitimately want to see what people strive for, I'm not here to get an ego massage.

Edited by Chimera11, 02 March 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#2 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

y make humblebrag thread under false guise.

This all depends on your level of competition, the role you're filling, whether you're in group queue or solo, and many many other factors.

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

I only care about winning, not damage or kills.

#4 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 02 March 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

y make humblebrag thread under false guise.

This all depends on your level of competition, the role you're filling, whether you're in group queue or solo, and many many other factors.

This is not intended to be an in-depth study on players average scores, it's a silly topic for people to have fun posting their goals on. If you want some serious stuff, I'm sure there's someone out there doing a study or something.

#5 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

I care about winning, but I also like to have done a decent amount of damage (depending on the mech).
I couldn't care less about kills and will often leave a very badly damaged enemy for someone else to finish off while I go looking for a more dangerous target.

#6 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

If it can't pull a minimum average of 250 damage then that mech goes to the scrap yard.

Don't really care about KDR, you can get ridiculous numbers there in group drops by killing a mech every 10 matches and playing hide and seek while your team actually does the work for 30. Its not really a useful stat because the stats aren't separated.

#7 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

worth saying again.

#8 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

View Postsycocys, on 02 March 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

If it can't pull a minimum average of 250 damage then that mech goes to the scrap yard.

Don't really care about KDR, you can get ridiculous numbers there in group drops by killing a mech every 10 matches and playing hide and seek while your team actually does the work for 30. Its not really a useful stat because the stats aren't separated.

Yeah, premades in group queue will probably have better average stats. Several of my top matches were done with someone calling out on the ingame voip, so I would imagine you could get some pretty good scores with proper coordination in every match.

View PostWolfways, on 02 March 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

I care about winning, but I also like to have done a decent amount of damage (depending on the mech).
I couldn't care less about kills and will often leave a very badly damaged enemy for someone else to finish off while I go looking for a more dangerous target.

I think some people worry too much about kdr. If I get below 1 on a mech it's a serious sign I'm doing something wrong, but that's another deal entirely. In general it's often not worth securing a kill, especially if it detracts from your ability to fight other opponents that are far better off. It's pretty frustrating when people try to finish off sticks instead of the enemies that can actually shoot back. That's probably the one thing that gets me legitimately upset at my allies, if they're all squirreling after a cripple while I'm fighting someone fresh.

Edited by Chimera11, 02 March 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#9 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:43 AM

I like to shoot stuff and such!! Avoiding StatWarriorOnline.

Insane damage and a high KDR doesn't define a players skill accurately. It's all moot in the grand scheme of things.

#10 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

As long as im not frustrated, im fine with 300 and 0 in a match. That usually means im in my heavy, rolling with the assaults, getting shots on what they shoot at and weakening them.

If im going yolo solo, 500 and 2 means a good, fun, adrenaline match.

If we get rolled and i put out 147 before i die it means i need to smarten up and think about how i pilot.

#11 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostAmsro, on 02 March 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I like to shoot stuff and such!! Avoiding StatWarriorOnline.

Insane damage and a high KDR doesn't define a players skill accurately. It's all moot in the grand scheme of things.

I do have to stop myself sometimes from worrying too much about stats. I know I'm a valuable asset to my teams (at least, more so than 90% of solo queue players I get teamed with), but occasionally I will get stuck worrying about my overall kdr being less than 2 and such.

Of course, dmg numbers aren't everything. A 600 dmg match in one of my gauss snipers will generally be more helpful to my team than 600 dmg in a UAC boat, since the damage will be (hopefully) more precise.

#12 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

Also depends on weight of mech and what its built for. If im in a light and pull 300 or 400 thats a fist pump. If im not getting 600+ in an assault, i need to go back to the mech bay and think about how im approaching the enemy.

#13 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

Winning is where it's at. Sometimes you need to be the bait that keeps the opposing team guessing / chasing. Sometimes you get to be the guy that the enemy team ignores and you rack up all kinds of damage.

Sadly, some of us do to forum notoriety? Tend get get merciless primary target calls even in the most innocuous of mechs.

FUN is also at a premium, so when someone says something mildly funny in chat, let them know you understand and would like to comply but you left everything to Carry Harder, in your other pants.

Also, knowing when to 'trade well' is a good thing as well. Anytime you are in a light and you kill a much heavier mech you've done your part quite well. If you also provide move info to your team, you are doing above and beyond.

Edited by Lugh, 02 March 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#14 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostLugh, on 02 March 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Winning is where it's at. Sometimes you need to be the bait that keeps the opposing team guessing / chasing. Sometimes you get to be the guy that the enemy team ignores and you rack up all kinds of damage.

Sadly, some of us do to forum notoriety? Tend get get merciless primary target calls even in the most innocuous of mechs.

FUN is also at a premium, so when someone says something mildly funny in chat, let them know you understand and would like to comply but you left everything to Carry Harder, in your other pants.

Also, knowing when to 'trade well' is a good thing as well. Anytime you are in a light and you kill a much heavier mech you've done your part quite well. If you also provide move info to your team, you are doing above and beyond.

Yeah, even my bad performers (Pirate's Bane) are still fun just to distract people with a few shots in the back.

Helping teammates out in various ways leads to a more enjoyable experience for me, too. If I'm in my HBRs I'll try to stick near the fatties and give them ecm coverage. You can always run off and try to get as much damage as possible, but that's often to the detriment of the rest of your team.

#15 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

I really don't understand how so many players are able to run 500+ damage average. And 2+ kills a match? Really? My overall average for every mech I play is 1.59 right now. And I'm happy with that.

As for damage if I use my Atlas I've had a high of 1,288 and lows in the 150's. And it's pretty simple why I got the 1,288 and the 150. The 1,288 happened simply from being in the right place right time the entire damn match. I wasn't focused fired by the enemy team, I was able to sneak around and kill some missile boats and I was the last one standing going up against three mechs that were badly beat up. So I shot for days and lived through it all. The 150 damage games come because my team wants me to push and be the focal point for damage. So I push, am focused fired and maybe am able to manage three shots before I'm killed.

I prefer my Crab's and Cicada at this point. With these two mediums around 300 damage is what I always shoot for. I consider that a decent match but what I do in the match is weighted on what the rest of the team does. I try to scout, move around, re-position, shoot enemies in the back, assist teammates etc just as much as possible. To consistently do 500 damage with those medium mechs I think I'd have to try to stand behind the rest of my team and shoot as much as possible hoping I'm not shot. I can't do that.

500+ damage is a lot of damage, especially as an average. Right now I'm averaging 335 damage with my Cicada per match, while my worst Crab is 313 a match and best is 365. I am not displeased with those numbers. How the hell do you people do 500+ average per match? The games simply don't go that well for me...

Edited by xTrident, 02 March 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#16 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

Heavy mechs bring enough firepower+cooling, getting very good with positioning. Im not saying every game is that kind of damage though. If im doing that i know im doing things right. If im not, then i need to figure out what i did wrong.

I averaged 300 in mediums, excellent matches are 500+ in a medium.

300+ light excellent
500+ medium excellent
700+ heavy excellent
800+ assault excellent (slow means you get less early damage, more one shot clean up kills)

#17 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostxTrident, on 02 March 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

snip

Keep in mind, kdr is not kills per match but kills per death. I don't get 3 1/2 kills every match in my HBR, I may get a few kills but not die. If you end up in consistent losing streaks with bad teammates your kdr will be lower because you're dying more, even if you still get a lot of kills.

As for damage, you mentioned Cicadas and Crabs, both of which are smaller mechs with less firepower and durability. In a heavy or assault, it's quite easy to get an average of 4-500+. In solo queue I've generally done best with fairly agile mechs with high sustained dmg, so mediums and heavies. In solo queue a decent number of players will tend to expose themselves too much, making it easy to rack up damage.

Damage isn't everything. My hunchback 4p has a very high kdr so far, despite having lower average dmg than most of my other mechs. Pinpoint weapons are capable of killing people fasting than weapons like UACs, ERLasers and such.

#18 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

Also dependa on how you play a mech. My main HBR-A i play as an assault helper and its 408 average dam with only a 0.70 kdr.

My WHM-6D is a in your face death machine, is at 598 average damage with a 2.92 kdr.

5 ton difference, but a much different playstyle and loadout.

#19 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

I'm too old and grumpy to care about video game stats anymore. When I drop, I do whatever I can to help the team win, and I expect the other eleven guys on my team to do the same. Sometimes that involves big numbers, sometimes it doesn't.

#20 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostChimera11, on 02 March 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

Keep in mind, kdr is not kills per match but kills per death. I don't get 3 1/2 kills every match in my HBR, I may get a few kills but not die. If you end up in consistent losing streaks with bad teammates your kdr will be lower because you're dying more, even if you still get a lot of kills.

As for damage, you mentioned Cicadas and Crabs, both of which are smaller mechs with less firepower and durability. In a heavy or assault, it's quite easy to get an average of 4-500+. In solo queue I've generally done best with fairly agile mechs with high sustained dmg, so mediums and heavies. In solo queue a decent number of players will tend to expose themselves too much, making it easy to rack up damage.

Damage isn't everything. My hunchback 4p has a very high kdr so far, despite having lower average dmg than most of my other mechs. Pinpoint weapons are capable of killing people fasting than weapons like UACs, ERLasers and such.

The wins and losses are a big part of it. Ordinarily a loss for me includes a death. It's not very often my team loses and I'm able to live through it even through Assault and Conquest. As it stands I have 14 more wins than losses overall and I always PUG. Just last night I played 10 or 12 matches.... And only won three of them I believe. But through most of those loses I either did 300+ damage or nearly did 300 damage. I think I had two or three matches last night where my damage in my Cicada (only mech I played last night) was around 200 or below. And I almost think one of those was a win because the team was did so well.

In my Atlas I've gotten 350 damage in the past and before I even saw what I had actually done I was thinking to myself I was pretty useless, knew I didn't do much etc... Then the screen pops up and I did 350 damage or so. So yeah, 400 to 500+ in an assault really isn't that difficult if you have just a little going for you. I get that, but my Atlas aren't anywhere near 500 damage average. I just have too much going against me when I PUG. So many times I'm either told to push and get my butt kicked and no one goes along to help or I push clearly in front of my team thinking they'll see me going and they don't push. I love the Atlas but I prefer the lighter mechs because I'm able to get in and out of sticky situations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users