• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

View PostSandpit, on 02 March 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

A lot of rage for what sounds like a misunderstanding between two players

Well, when someone is regularly stymied by idiots, eventually he/she will reach a breaking point.

#3 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

The problem is some people do just shut down to avoid scratching their precious kdr. I haven't encountered it much since I moved past tier 3/4, but some players will go to the extreme and either kill themselves or shut down to avoid getting killed. In your case, it sounds like the other players just misunderstood what you were suggesting.

#4 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

I get where this guy is coming from... Hard to tell when someone's being tactical or just fleeing to flee though. I honestly don't know what to tell you dude. Heck for all I know I'm one of the guys that shouted at you for powering down.

When tactics are involved let people know.

I'd rather setup an ambush by powering down than play NASCAR.

As a matter of fact I'd LOVE to do an ambush... but PUGs are PUGs and PGI doesn't add much in the way of concealment on their maps. Just humps of ground that give the false impression of LRM cover.

Additionally with the nerfs to ECM I imagine a crap ton of people are running BAP which can detect powered down mechs. -.-

Edited by Graugger, 02 March 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#5 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

Well, when someone is regularly stymied by idiots, eventually he/she will reach a breaking point.

...and this is a good place to get it all out. Posted Image

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

When tactics are involved let people know.

When you're the last 'mech alive running to a better tactical position!?

Unfortunately not realistic. Dead players should keep their comments to themselves unless they are helpful to the active players.

Edited by Tyler Valentine, 02 March 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#6 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 02 March 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I am tired of people in this game not understanding basic concepts like shut down and what it is for and the difference between lack of participation and suicide An Actual tactical intelligent play play using all the tools at your disposal.
Shut down of your mech takes you off radar and in some circumstances is actually preferable to run in and die tactics.
The pug community especially the lower tier players do not understand the difference between a tactical stand off or a smart play and suicide and non participation.
I run a locust and light mechs get the most benefit of shut down because of there speed and ability to get where other mechs can not.
two examples
One , I was on caustic doing hit and runs with my locust 1e and it is the end of the round and once again I am the only mech alive. And once again it is time to play locust = cookie. And every one loves a cookie. SO I do a few more drive bys and then get squirrely as hell and run under the pipes in caustic and shut down and wait for the enemy to close the distance so i can get a few more volleys in with my spl that are extremely close range ... and what do i hear over the viop in game .
"Are you looking to get reported " .....
I said " for what "
his response was "non participation."
"I told him i was not even shutting down for the remainder of the gamebut i was waiting for the enemy to close the distance so i could get damage before I die."
This kind of bs is frankly annoying. One I participated the entire game never shut down until this point and was heavy damaged.
second YOU Can leave the game after you die with no penalty so feel free at this. Instead of hassling the guy who is playing the hardest mech with armor you can sneeze on and it will collapse. I wish people had to read a dam definition of what non participation is and what suicide is.
Second example was playing on mpg me and my friend were the last mechs in the game he is in a Jenner with 6 spl I am in a locust with 6 spl and there is one remaining mech with a er-large lazer perched on the top of the wall we are lights and damaged and have limited range
we have the numbers. so i just said lets just park our mechs against the wall and wait him out he ether comes down into our range or he looses because we have 2 player left and he is the last one on his team.
what was his response to this i am going to report you for non participation ...again we both participated the entire game and were heavy damage this was the smart call because we were at a stand off but again the dumb *** puger does not know the difference.

ummm
Your first example sounds like BS, why would anyone report you for cooling down your mech? My money is he was alt+tabbed and didnt see what happend.

Actually you and your friend could have reported the last person on their team for non-participation. Your team was winning, it was his responsibility to engage.

#7 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostSource Mystic, on 02 March 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

Hopefully it will stop when I get out of the lower tiers as anyone I have played with people in higher tiers and they know the difference. But i can not fix stupid .... or ignorance. and I do tell people what I am doing but pgi should make it clear that everyone that is dead can leave the game and get full c bills and exp. Instead of reporting someone for some bs that is just playing the game smart. and is not something that should be taken seriously.

If you leave the game for more then 2 minutes before its over your WILL NOT get the full CBILLS AND EXP.

#8 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Non-participation reporting should only be available after the match ends. It doesn't do any immediate good, and the end of the match is when you know for sure whether someone was being stupid or smart.

#9 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

Wasn't this already settled by a repost of a section of the CoC... Some forum regular did that a few months back.... Can we get a thread resurrection please? :D

#10 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

I don't run into this situation very often, but the few times I have, I've always either typed out, or said over VOIP that I was shutting down temporarily so the enemy would go past, but that I was going to fight it out to the end.

The key is to say it in advance. Tell them what you're doing. Tell them you aren't going to do what 90% of all the other players do, which is shutting down because they're *******. Get your team to trust you. The best way to do that is tell them BEFORE you shut down.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

There is a right way to do this. Easiest way of course is to simply announce to your team what your up to. That way those who are ignorant and itching to report someone, won't have need. Just tell them the plan. Problem solved.

On the other side instead of doing the jerky "I'm reporting you" routine try the following (it really took place):

T4 match on Bog. A half crippled Panther was the only thing left alive on our team. 9 of us stayed in game to watch. Panther went on to one of the rises way at the back of the map and shut down in the trees. Following exchange occurred:

Observer: Dude, are you going to try and pick em off or just trying not to get killed?
Panther: I just don't want em to kill me. Screw em. They gave us a stomp now they can wait.
Observer: Uh, not cool. Just go fight em!
Observer 2: you know that lack of participation is a re portable offense right?
Observer 3: 4 and Panther: (various forms of) What? Seriously? Your kidding.
Observer 2: Its true, its in the TOS and been discussed on the forums.
Panther: Aw well here I go. LEEROY JENKINS!

Moral of the story: It isn't always necessary to be jerk to communicate concepts in this game.

Sorry, Aresye already made the same point immediately above without the need for the anecdote.

Edited by Bud Crue, 02 March 2016 - 01:12 PM.

#12 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 March 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Sorry, Aresye already made the same point immediately above without the need for the anecdote.

Nah it's all good. I quite enjoyed the Panther story :D

#13 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

1.). Shutting down/Hiding to force a timeclock win is 100% allowed according to Terms Of Service.

2.). Shutting down/hiding to force a timeclock loss or Tie is 100% prohibited according to TOS.

3.). Shutting down for a little while for strategic purposes is 100% allowed under all circumstances.

Done. Just use those lines in game when needed.

#14 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostChimera11, on 02 March 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

The problem is some people do just shut down to avoid scratching their precious kdr. I haven't encountered it much since I moved past tier 3/4, but some players will go to the extreme and either kill themselves or shut down to avoid getting killed. In your case, it sounds like the other players just misunderstood what you were suggesting.

Just to note, killing yourself still negatively impacts KDR, so when folks do that it's because they are likely overriding heat to get one more alpha or running out of bounds/overheating to spite someone else getting the killshot. Dying still hurts your KDR no matter how it happens.

#15 CreativeAnarchy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

I've parked and waited out a light when it was me and another heavy left. I have no jump jets and I'm not going to be able to catch the squirrel so I found a nice corner with my team mate, backed up, and we waited out the timer.

I can see why would do a shut down with what you were doing.

You are fine. You were at least fighting.

It is the people that just shut down to not die, but have no interest in fighting back, just dragging things on to try and wait out the timer and try to not die that cause the problems.

#16 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

Here we go again. There are just too many ADHD folks playing this game who should just quit the match if they do not want to wait till the end.

View PostProsperity Park, on 02 March 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

1.). Shutting down/Hiding to force a timeclock win is 100% allowed according to Terms Of Service.

2.). Shutting down/hiding to force a timeclock loss or Tie is 100% prohibited according to TOS.

3.). Shutting down for a little while for strategic purposes is 100% allowed under all circumstances.

Done. Just use those lines in game when needed.

4.) No one is under any obligation to offer themselves on a silver platter for execution.

#17 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

Here we go again. There are just too many ADHD folks playing this game who should just quit the match if they do not want to wait till the end.

4.) No one is under any obligation to offer themselves on a silver platter for execution.

So...the Spider running around for eight minutes at the end of the fight, having fired his weapons all of three times during the fight, with less than twenty damage to his name and the clear and unmistakable intent to avoid combat for as long as possible...that guy is perfectly cool? He's not doing anything wrong?

Because as far as I'm concerned, that guy in the Spider is the main reason the Skirmish game mode should be cut from MWO completely.

#18 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

You are correct, but the corollary to that is that they are also not allowed to run, hide, shutdown and extend a match unnecessarily.

#19 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

View Post1453 R, on 02 March 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

So...the Spider running around for eight minutes at the end of the fight, having fired his weapons all of three times during the fight, with less than twenty damage to his name and the clear and unmistakable intent to avoid combat for as long as possible...that guy is perfectly cool? He's not doing anything wrong?

Because as far as I'm concerned, that guy in the Spider is the main reason the Skirmish game mode should be cut from MWO completely.

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 02 March 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

You are correct, but the corollary to that is that they are also not allowed to run, hide, shutdown and extend a match unnecessarily.

Do tell what someone last on their team with no usable weapons or modules should do.

#20 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostMystere, on 02 March 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

Do tell what someone last on their team with no usable weapons or modules should do.

Ask Piranha to finally, finally, finally, FINALLY implement an Honorable Surrender/Withdraw option, as should have been in the game from the start.

Until then? He can attempt to ram the enemy to death.

This is a game, not an actual war. Running down the clock because you dun' wanna take your lumps like a soldier is not, and never will be, cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users