31 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

There are mechs that have seemingly become victims of the Successive Meta wars.

Trebuchet, Shadowhawk, Victor, Dragon, Cataphract, Vindicator, Panther and so on.

These mechs need help but have been left to rust in neglect. How can they be saved?

#2 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 March 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Trebuchet, Shadowhawk, Victor, Dragon, Cataphract, Vindicator, Panther and so on.

These mechs need help but have been left to rust in neglect. How can they be saved?

quirks?

#3 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 March 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Gee I wonder...saturate the game with redundant mechs. Power creep incoming mechs...sorry there will always be casualties.

#4 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

oddly enough I've seen like 5 Trebs, a couple shadowhawks, panthers, and even a dragon or two today.

But yeah.. I can't even look at my Shadowhawks anymore...Posted Image

#5 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

The one shadowhawk with triple ac/2 is actually not horrible now

The Hammer of Justice, delivered 2 points at a time

Edited by Thunderbird Anthares, 02 March 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#6 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

It's sad to see what the SHD has become. I used to run this build and be frighteningly good with it pre-clan SHD-2H

It was never meta or "competitive" but I played it like a pro and had great fun piloting it. Was durable as hell too.

Then came the clans, powercreep, appalling balance, meta or gtfo, quirks and dare I say it, all the real fun got sucked out of the game.

You either conform or you get shat on.

I want to build and play mechs like that again without worrying about if it's meta, comp or has enough quirks to be viable. I want to play the game when IS XL mediums wouldn't get 1-shotted from halfway across the map.

Posted Image

How I wish for those days to return but alas they never will Posted Image

p.s. Excuse the CASE. It was before .5T ammo was an option.

Edited by Milocinia, 02 March 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

Yes OP. Yes.

After reading the thread on the Pixie release I was just thinking the same thing regarding the Vindi. This lead me to the Dragon (my current project), of which the Flame variant makes me think of the Cataphract. I want to try the Victor when I am done with Dragons (if I get done with Dragons; I have them elited but I don't know if I can stomach Mastering them) despite all the negativity about them. But that is the point. The negativity. It is there for all of these mechs and the others you mention as well.

Paul asserted back in during one of the test phases that it was goal of "balance" that each mech and each variant was to have distinct role. I'd really like to see this. If they can make these mechs be decent using quirks, rescale or whatever I wish they would do it, and soon. I loved Cataphracts. One of the first heavies I ever bought, now I rarely use um unless we need ECM heavies for CW, it never was impressive "back in the day", it is WAY out classed now. The Vindi, the poor, poor, Vindi. What "role" does it serve next to the upcoming Pixie? The dang things have better...everything...plus some have masc and ecm. Heck, if their hit boxes are remotely viable the Pixie will likely obviate the Cicada as well.

Perhaps, this is PGI's way of introducing lore. The idea of every mech having a valued role is not really in the lore. I mean in lore lots of mechs just sucked or recognized as being second rate. So, here we are. See, PGI is finally focusing on lore. ;)

#8 Stelar 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

Victors got a decent mobility buff, I had one of mine out the other day. Their main problem is that they are not my Maulers. I dearly love me some Mauler, it's hard to drive other mechs. The Mauraders in CW, but otherwise I'm all, hmmmmm dakka? yeah dakka.

#9 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

Add Thunderbolt to that list.

#10 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:34 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 March 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

Yes OP. Yes.

After reading the thread on the Pixie release I was just thinking the same thing regarding the Vindi. This lead me to the Dragon (my current project), of which the Flame variant makes me think of the Cataphract. I want to try the Victor when I am done with Dragons (if I get done with Dragons; I have them elited but I don't know if I can stomach Mastering them) despite all the negativity about them. But that is the point. The negativity. It is there for all of these mechs and the others you mention as well.

Paul asserted back in during one of the test phases that it was goal of "balance" that each mech and each variant was to have distinct role. I'd really like to see this. If they can make these mechs be decent using quirks, rescale or whatever I wish they would do it, and soon. I loved Cataphracts. One of the first heavies I ever bought, now I rarely use um unless we need ECM heavies for CW, it never was impressive "back in the day", it is WAY out classed now. The Vindi, the poor, poor, Vindi. What "role" does it serve next to the upcoming Pixie? The dang things have better...everything...plus some have masc and ecm. Heck, if their hit boxes are remotely viable the Pixie will likely obviate the Cicada as well.

Perhaps, this is PGI's way of introducing lore. The idea of every mech having a valued role is not really in the lore. I mean in lore lots of mechs just sucked or recognized as being second rate. So, here we are. See, PGI is finally focusing on lore. Posted Image

It's because of Paul we're here where we are now Posted Image

#11 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

Thunderbolts are bad?
Granted, I only have the one from the phoenix pack, but its a damn decent mech

#12 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

More rarely seens - Awesome or Grasshopper. Although the 'Hopper is a fairly recent release compared to the Awesome.

#13 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

"Archived" stats:

Posted Image

"Current" stats:

Posted Image

PGI and balance:

Posted Image

#14 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 02 March 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

More rarely seens - Awesome or Grasshopper. Although the 'Hopper is a fairly recent release compared to the Awesome.

I find this to be a strange statement. The Grasshopper 5P is a very strong heavy right now.

#15 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

I always ran my 5D with an AC/10, 2 SRM4s and 2 Medium Pulse Lasers; have done so since the chassis was released. I've seen a few people running the 2D2 with the 10 and 4x SRM4s. I think that people just get told what weapons are great and then they look to the mechs, based upon the opinions of people that the internet have deemed great (they may or may not be awesome), only to leave solid mechs behind because someone said so. Possibly conceited leading stupid... oldest story in the online gaming world.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

Voltron them.

#17 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

I picked up some Shadowhawks only recently. Seem fine to me.
Pretty versatile too. Easy to build them up for different roles.
No, not a world beater.. but hey, it is just a shadowhawk.

View Postsycocys, on 02 March 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

Voltron them.

I'll form the head.

#18 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,998 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Post of the week lol

Posted Today, 05:45 PM
"Archived" stats:

Posted Image

"Current" stats:

Posted Image

PGI and balance:

Posted Image

#19 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

Quirks are the answer, though there will always be haves and have nots in these games. At least in MWO, you can customize most any mech into something approaching viability.

#20 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostMilocinia, on 02 March 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

"Archived" stats:

Posted Image

"Current" stats:

Posted Image

Well the 2H has seen better days, but with the buffs to SRMs my 2D2 is better than ever
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users