- - - - -

Understanding Left To Right On A Mech

12 replies to this topic

#1 BlackRosePhoenix

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

When in mechlab it shows me left and right side of the mech. Is that left and right from looking from the front or left and right looking from the back? I have the same question about targeting window left and right also.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

It should be your left and your right. So, when looking at the back of the mech. (Imagine it as your own body for that direction.)

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

in the Mechlab you are looking at the front of the Mech, so left and right are inverted in the Mechlab.

The ingame paper doll for your Mech is the correct way around, the paper doll for the enemy Mech is the wrong way around

#4 BlackRosePhoenix

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

Jesus, they need to all be the same fing direction. Very confusing that I have to think what's left and right depending on what I'm looking at.

#5 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

If you are wondering why you see it from the front (and thus left is right and right is left) :
Normaly 'Mechs are positioned this way in the Hangar to allow better access for maintenance and repairs.

See here:
Posted Image

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostBlackRosePhoenix, on 01 March 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

Jesus, they need to all be the same fing direction. Very confusing that I have to think what's left and right depending on what I'm looking at.

For mechlab, it matches what you are looking it (from the front). On your in game damage, it's matching what you are looking at (from the cockpit/back). With your target, it's making what you are looking at (from the front). You'll also notice that the enemies back locations on the paperdoll, will match the side you are facing as well (from the rear) when you are most likely to be shooting at the back.

It's rather intuitive, in my opinion.

#7 BlackRosePhoenix

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

I guess it's just me but viewing everything as the same direction is much easier to think about in my opinion, even though I would need to correct my targeting depending if looking at the back or front of an enemy mech. Also when in mechlab I'm trying to think about which way I need to twist to spread damage on my side that doesn't have my weapons. But it's different then what I see when piloting my mech. I tend to use shape recognition to help keep my mind stay on track and that switches the shape recognition by flipping what I would look at for myself when I'm piloting.

Edited by BlackRosePhoenix, 01 March 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#8 A Corpse

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

It works reasonably well. Only time at this stage when I have issues is when I'm rapidly trying to figure out which leg is weakest on an enemy so I can take it out.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostBlackRosePhoenix, on 01 March 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

I guess it's just me but viewing everything as the same direction is much easier to think about in my opinion, even though I would need to correct my targeting depending if looking at the back or front of an enemy mech. Also when in mechlab I'm trying to think about which way I need to twist to spread damage on my side that doesn't have my weapons. But it's different then what I see when piloting my mech. I tend to use shape recognition to help keep my mind stay on track and that switches the shape recognition by flipping what I would look at for myself when I'm piloting.

Go to the main page of your UI and spin your mech around to the back. Learn your sides from there, it might be more helpful. You should be able to view where your weapons are easily enough.

I can't say much more for advice, sorry.

#10 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostA Corpse, on 01 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

It works reasonably well. Only time at this stage when I have issues is when I'm rapidly trying to figure out which leg is weakest on an enemy so I can take it out.

Posted Image

#11 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

It's not intuitive at all. Knowing that in some places it's mirror view and in some others it's direct view, I could never tell which side torso of an enemy mech to shoot based on its paperdoll. Until today I couldn't, that is.

#12 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

If you're confused about the enemy paperdoll, use the testing grounds. You get eight 'Mechs to fire at. That will tell you exactly what's where and you don't have to worry about them firing back while you learn.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:06 AM

When talking about left and right, it is always talking about the mech in question's left or right. So in mech lab, the left torso is always the mech's left torso regardless which angle you are looking at. The paperdoll in game for you is going to be the same, but this time it's going to always match your perspective also since you are in the thing. That's the easy one to figure out. The enemy one is more complicated...
http://static.mwomer...e/guide/hud.jpg
Notice on the enemy paperdoll, there is a R and L beside the front and back, but they are reversed from each other. (Notice the yellow internal damage on the right torso). The front view flips it so damage corresponds to what you are looking at. The mech's right side is actually it's left and so forth. However, the back view matches the left and right correctly so the rear right torso really is the rear right torso as if you were behind the mech.

Clear as mud? ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users