• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 542 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

PGI give us support for VR in MWO !!!

https://www.youtube....C&v=cx370pvDTrw

https://community.am...idvr-technology

Do try to keep up with the emerging technology gentleman and ladies of PGI !!! PGI you have the opportunity for the first time to do something really meaningful in the long history of the MechWarrior franchise !!!

MWO can be so much more !!!

Try to not be thinking of the dreaded bottom line so much !!!

Edited by Aidan, 04 July 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

Eh... wat?

I agree that VR would be nice to have, but VR users are an extreme minority of users. So far OR has sold about 85,000 units. According to Intel, about 10% of the world is PC gamers. Even if we whittle down the gaming population to half Intel's 711 million figure and assume that MWO is drawing from a pool of 355 million, and then assume all Rift users come from that group so as to be bend-over-backwards liberal in estimating the percentage of MWO players using Rifts, that would mean that of the gaming population MWO draws from, 0.024% possess an Oculus Rift, assuming no one buys more than one. Now let's bend over backwards some more and try to inflate that. Let's assume that of our already narrowed PC gamer pool, MWO is five times as likely to draw those who own a Rift as the average game. In that case, MWO's Rift-using population goes up to 0.12%. Now let's continue bending over backwards, and assume that Rifts only comprise 20% of VR sets being used, and I mean that is hilariously bending over backwards since there are few alternatives, maybe even just the HTC Vive and OSVR. Okay, at that point VR users comprise a grand total of... 0.6% of the MWO population, as absurdly liberally as it could possibly be estimated. In reality it's probably a fraction of that.

Again, I think it's a technology to think about. I think VR will take off in a big way as time goes on and MWO is ideal for it, but not expending resources that literally anything else could be done with in order to pander to a tiny fraction of one percent of the userbase does not mean MWO is "forgoing important features to pad their bottom line".

I plan on buying a rift myself the day the consumer version comes out, so I'm hardly being self-serving here. I want this. I just understand why it may not be at the forefront of priorities.

#3 Aidan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 542 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Yawn -_-

#4 Wibbledtodeath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:10 AM

Catamount- its not about the current user base. The first few real games (not crappy demo's) that support a range of VR- and MWO is a great candidate, will likely gain a majority of those vr gamers as (at least casual) players.

And they gots money to burn baby... so they are customers you want. By mid 2015 125,000 dev kits had been sold. Now pre-orders are backing up for OR- way over expectation at that price point, and Vive is just getting started. The majority won't be existing MWO players, and they are likely to give any serious game a try if it supports their hardware (if for no other reason than paucity of other content). If only a fraction of them throw a couple of bucks at a steam package to get a good start (Majority are busy professionals who can afford to skip early grind) then that= a reasonable sum. Add to this the fact that this group of early adopters includes most tech media/journalists and you position your game well with regard to positive media promotion. Then as/if vr grows so does the mwo customer base with little further effort. Early support of VR is probably a worthwhile gamble. Late support is a conservative bet, but won't have the same payoff. Too bad Russ&Co@PGI are conservative.

Edit: looking at the numbers on steam, VR support has the possibility to provide a similar boost (ok- somewhat lesser currently but that's because these things have not hit the shelf yet) And its not like VR support is something the majority of current players don't want- especially the more devoted fan base of MWO. If MWO had support for HTC vive I would buy one today. Just saying.

Edited by Wibbledtodeath, 22 February 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#5 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:38 AM

Sure, not many people have a vr headset, but since this game already has 3d and headtracking support it won't take much effort to make it work.

No need for amd liquidvr or gameworks vr, that's for devs who want to develop specifically for vr.

#6 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:05 AM

MWO has a more finely aged playerbase and a playerbase more hell-bent on playing the game on potatoes than most games, so VR isn't going to be a very big thing with it probably. Russ has already stated that they are looking into and working on VR anyway.

AMD LiquidVR is basically only different in requiring dual-GPU setups and attempting to reduce latency by using each of those GPUs to render one eye's worth of content. In my opinion, it's more of a way for AMD to get people to buy multiple GPUs so they can sell more.

Nvidia and Oculus have basically said that a GTX 970 is bottom-end, so a single powerful GPU should be more than sufficient (GTX 980, 980 Ti) for a decent experience for early adopters. The next round of GPUs should really cement that into the ground until the third wave comes around and people want "benchmark games" for their setups (much like Crysis was in its day).

#7 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:51 AM

A proper NEW immersive 3D headphone to go with it too.

already closed to US$1 million backers.

OSSIC X

https://www.kickstar...mpaign=kslaunch

Edited by cx5, 03 March 2016 - 01:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users