Poor Shadow Hawk And Centurion Have Almost The Right Size...

114 replies to this topic

#41 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostAdamski, on 03 March 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

To put it into perspective, the tallest Clan mech is the Executioner at 14.4m tall, and the shortest is the NVA at 8.3m tall, which is more than half its height. The Mist Lynx, Kit Fox, Adder, and Firemoth are all taller than the NVA.

Yes, but the Nova easily makes up for that height advantage (which is only due to it's hips being AT its shoulders) in a very wide and somewhat deep profile.

A lot of lights mechs in MWO are about right proportionally to those images, but then are scaled quite a ways down to make them smaller. If any mech class is the most off scale, I would say its the IS lights. Too many locusts, commandos, firestarters, etc. would fit in an Atlas. (for reference, at most 5 should fit, but I assure you, a few more than 5 of them would fit.

PS. Those scales in that image, looking at both height and width/depth... actually have pretty good proportions. Other than maybe a bit too much size on the upright assaults..

#42 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostFupDup, on 02 March 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Meanwhile, he thinks that the Daishi is too big.

Lel.

The 53 kph center torso IS too big.

Edited by pbiggz, 03 March 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#43 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 02 March 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

As I understand it they are rescaling for the purpose of getting correct volumetric relations between all the models, not for balnace reasons.

I think they are right in this, scale should simply be correct volume for the tonnage, not a way to buff or nerf mechs.

Rescaling and balancing should not and cannot be desynced from each other, because SCALING DIRECTLY INFLUENCES BALANCING.

Many of the mechs in MWO that are weak are made weak specifically BECAUSE of their scaling.

Making a mech larger makes a mech weaker.

Making a mech smaller makes a mech stronger.

This whole entire "rescaling initiative" was supposed to be designed to help out some of those mechs that were made weak by their scaling, it wasn't done because "oh hey, my spreadsheet values aren't completely lined up guys I have to normalize all the things now NORMALIZE ALL THE SPREADSHEETS!!!1!."

Just randomly rescaling mechs just for the only sake of rescaling without any regard for how game balance is impacted is extremely shortsighted and misguided.

Edited by FupDup, 03 March 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#44 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Maybe we can use this thread to compile a complete list of which mechs need a rescale and by how much percentage-wise?

#45 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Why does this all feel more and more like 1 step forward and 2 steps back....?

#46 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostDerMaulwurf, on 03 March 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

Normalization is also predictable and logical. Doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. Actually, doing something in a procedural way is only superior over a case-by-case treatment if your judgment of cases is flawed. And even if you consider that to be the case, the quality of an algorithmic adjustment is 100% dependent on which variable you chose to base your algorithm on. Why is volume an important variable? Why chose it over alternatives? Over which alternative?

The 'proper' size is influenced by lots of factors. Is the shape of the arms sutiable to shielding components? If yes, from which angles. Is the absolute size really that important in a specific case? (Don't tell me that your ability to hit a Dire Whale will be influenced if it was 20% shorter).

Just changing to a procedural approach changes absolutely NOTHING. You're still dependent on how well the procedure accounts and which variables were decided to be factored in.
Which variables are factored in? It's volume. That's it.

This isn't a Magic Rebalancing. It's bringing all the mechs to a proper overall size for their weight - something people screamed about for years as there were so many gross inconsistencies. Now there will be zero inconsistencies.

But my point stands: If you have any belief that PGI would have done it by hand and ended up with something somehow better, you are flatly crazy. Again, this isn't a balancing centered move, though it should generally improve balance. It's one to remove gross inconsistencies.

Mechs are not going to be perfectly balanced afterwards. Of course not. Nobody is claiming they will be, least of all PGI. But what they WILL be is sized consistently.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 March 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

Most of the balancing of MWO is done by what you call 'feel'. How do they determine module slots? Max engine size? Agility stats, like torso twist. Hardpoints, jump jets, even the mech models themselves are designed and balanced arbitrarily. So suddenly applying one logical element isn't necessarily going to solve anything. For example, the shape of the Awesome is probably the least ideal for MWO. A big flat front profile. Would you really design a mech like that, if you were designing the ideal mech?
And their balancing "by what I call 'feel'" is terrible. Really bad.

They are manually altering the Awesome as well (not just an equal xyz rescale, it'll get some manual resizing - and this is something that Russ has said is applying to some of the more serious problem mechs. Catapult as well. But it will still be in terms of volume:mass consistent with every other mech.

Alister. You've been here a long time, you've seen these projects before. They NEVER get finished. They never even do a very good job. If they did this entirely by hand without using a calculated target volume, we'd see a couple mechs resized, some would work out, others would be wonky, and at the end of the day most mechs would be untouched and may would still be wildly inconsistent.

As others have pointed out, they will need to compensate for the consistent rescaling with inconsistent quirks anyway.
Of course they will. Why wouldn't they?

View PostDavegt27, on 03 March 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

The whole scale thing is hilarious

Since the whole thing is based on pure fiction

How do you know how big is big
... really?

They measure the volume of the mechs, and their tonnage, and adjust each mech relative to the rest. "How big is big" is irrelevant, what matters is that mechs are physically consistently sized vs other mechs as per tonnage. Where the nomalization point is doesn't really matter, because all the mechs will be sized off that. Unless that point was arbitrarily chosen and silly (like really big, or really small) but Russ's numbers have shown that they're using the net average size of mechs to determine the target volume:mass, so that all the changes are as small as possible. Essentially, except for mechs of really wonky volume:mass, mechs are going to remain roughly the size they are now.

Making all mechs a consistent volume per mass is not a panacea of balance, nor is it intended to be. It will, however, remove an aspect of "unfairness"; with some mechs being wildly too big or too small vs. their tonnage. Quirks are still going to be needed, but they'd always still be needed. But at least there will be one less complaint.

And yes, particularly egregious offenders are getting non-linear scaling, so they can correct some model issues while their at it. I don't know how many - only the Awesome, Catapult, and Locust have been named thus far.

But frankly, with PGI's track record? I'm VERY glad that, at the end of the day, all mechs will be a consistent volume according to their tonnage.

View PostFupDup, on 03 March 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Just randomly rescaling mechs just for the only sake of rescaling without any regard for how game balance is impacted is extremely shortsighted and misguided.

They'd **** it up way more if they tried to do it For Balance. No doubt at all. I can't believe you of all people think they'd do it better by hand.

#47 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 March 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

But frankly, with PGI's track record? I'm VERY glad that, at the end of the day, all mechs will be a consistent volume according to their tonnage.

While it will fix my pet mech, the Nova, it will still screw over mechs, I'm sure the Treb and Grasshopper will somehow end up bigger because they are lanky, yet thin mechs. So there is still some bad things involved with this volume-only rescaling. I mean the fact the Cent is considered appropriately sized against a Hunchback is absolutely silly, since mechs with wider torsos like the Cent suffer more from size than those like the Hunch which have more narrow/longer torsos.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 March 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#48 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 March 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

From Russ Twitter:
Cent just 1.7 oversized
Shadow hawk just 1.4% oversized

A sign that volume not necessarily is allways a measurement that leads to the right conclusion (bcs Volume is a not function that is independant from the Shape of a Mech and thus a Mech can very easy be way to big on 2 of the 3 Axes while having a pretty low Volume when its Body is shaped/build that way)

Both Shadow Hawk and Centurion are to tall/big imo compared to the almost perfect Haunchback Medium Mech as they match the size of way bigger Mechs.
Then Centurion needs to be more slim at least and the Shadow Hawk is a Medium in the Body of a Heavy.

They will even be worth less after rescaling when other Mechs become considerably smaller.

I have zero faith in PGI's design team. They literally are clueless. Cents and Shawks are huge compared to the Crow.On the other hand, PGI support team is great....Maybe they need to move some people around.

PS: What is the Volume of a Barndoor?

Posted Image
1200 cubic ft Posted Image assuming only 2 inches thick so I have no idea how thick it is lol.

Edited by mogs01gt, 03 March 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#49 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 March 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

While it will fix my pet mech, the Nova, it will still screw over mechs, I'm sure the Treb and Grasshopper will somehow end up bigger because they are lanky, yet thin mechs. So there is still some bad things involved with this volume-only rescaling. I mean the fact the Cent is considered appropriately sized against a Hunchback is absolutely silly, since mechs with wider torsos like the Cent suffer more from size than those like the Hunch which have more narrow/longer torsos.
I don't disagree. But those mechs will still be appropriately sized. Not from a balance standpoint, but the cent vs hunchback for example? The hunchback is thicker, more brick like, more compact. The cent is wider (and yess, width is bad for Mech power) but narrower.

This isn't magical fix all balance issues change. But if they'd done it differently it still wouldn't be a magic change that fixes anything and I strongly believe that the likely hood of PGI doing it all by hand and ignoring volume would be fraught with peril. It would end up both terrible, screwing certain mechs as you say, AND it would look nonsensical and illogical.

Some mechs have poor geometry. That's just how it is, and it's unavoidable. Just like some mechs have terrible hardpoints, or terrible hardpoint locations. Quirks will still need to be a thing not matter what.

They'd never be able to fix that, even if I had more faith in their abilities, they'd just never get it right.

#50 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

Community:
Tall = size , Why is that mech 10 tons heavier than me is smaller than me?!? PGI plz explain!

PGI:
Volume = good indicator of size. Sure that bigger mech is short, but they are quite long making them bigger.

Others:
weight =/= size...some mechs have endo steel didn't they?.. or have redundant space?.

I personally got no prob with shadowhawk and centurion but that's just me

#51 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 March 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

Community:
Tall = size , Why is that mech 10 tons heavier than me is smaller than me?!? PGI plz explain!
PGI:
Volume = good indicator of size. Sure that bigger mech is short, but they are quite long making them bigger.
Others:
weight =/= size...some mechs have endo steel didn't they?.. or have redundant space?.
I personally got no prob with shadowhawk and centurion but that's just me

Not really sure what you are talking about. The internal structure of mechs and armor is irrelevant in MWO. The issue at hand is balancing. You cannot have a balanced game unless each class is set to specific parameters.

Edited by mogs01gt, 03 March 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#52 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 March 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

I don't disagree. But those mechs will still be appropriately sized. Not from a balance standpoint, but the cent vs hunchback for example? The hunchback is thicker, more brick like, more compact. The cent is wider (and yess, width is bad for Mech power) but narrower.

The problem is, the Cent has always looked "bigger" than the Hunchback, which is a problem. Volume re-scaling doesn't solve size perception problems as apparent by them saying the Centurion doesn't need to be shrunk more than 2%. Volume isn't even a panacea in that respect of making mechs appropriately sized.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 March 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#53 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

I think the issue is front to back "depth" ... it lowers the volume, thus makes "flat" mechs taller.

Same deal w/ the DWF but opposite... it's like a cube on legs.

#54 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostMacksheen, on 03 March 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think the issue is front to back "depth" ... it lowers the volume, thus makes "flat" mechs taller.

umm what? The Zeus and Jager are both "flat" mechs. Both are not tall mechs. They are considered to be an appropriate size for their tonnage.

#55 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 March 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

The problem is, the Cent has always looked "bigger" than the Hunchback, which is a problem. Volume re-scaling doesn't solve size perception problems as apparent by them saying the Centurion doesn't need to be shrunk more than 2%. Volume isn't even a panacea in that respect of making mechs appropriately sized.

Actually, a 1.7% global downscale ends up with about a 5% overall reduction in size. Not as noticeable as a Nova the size of a Fatlas thigh (god that made me lulz), but then the Centurion isn't the size of a squashed assault 'Mech the way the current Nova is.

Anyways.

Folks, think of it this way - as Wintersdark said, we're now getting consistency. Certain 'Mechs - the Awesome actually being an excellent example - are just going to have lousy geo no matter what, bu we won't get any more Kit Foxes, Novas, or Stalkers. Overall sizing will be consistent from here out, which removes one imbalancing factor from the pool.

Things like the Awesome? It's fat. It is always going to be fat. The Awesome is not an Awesome unless it is egregiously bulky and has the sorts of lovehandles Zeus himself could grip free of worry. All TRO art for the Awesome depicts it as a gigantic wall of metal with feet and muffintop-mounted PPCs. You are never going to fix that with any sort of rescale or remodel, not if you want it to keep actually looking like an Awesome. Same with the Cataphract, or other 'all CT' 'Mechs - they're modeled that way because that's how they were built in lore.

Some 'Mechs are just going to end up with unfavorable geometry because they were built and designed with unfavorable geometry in lore. The Grasshopper is tall as hell - deal w/it. Height doesn't get you dead anyways. Carping on and on about how Centurions aren't smaller than Arctic Cheetahs doesn't help. Like it or not, lining up all 'Mechs within an acceptable tolerance of a given volume/tonnage ratio is the best overall approximation Piranha can make for proper 'Mech sizing.

We've all seen what do-it-by-hand, "by feel" 'Mech scaling gets us. Why, exactly, do we want them to keep doing that?

#56 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 02 March 2016 - 11:09 PM, said:

Russ said the Grasshopper might need to get fatter.

Jesus christ, I will scream.

I never saw a fat Hopper before. its a lean, mean fighting Machine...

#57 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

View Post1453 R, on 03 March 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Actually, a 1.7% global downscale ends up with about a 5% overall reduction in size.

I meant a 5% global downscale, because that is around what I thought looked correct the last time I did the scale comparisons.

View Post1453 R, on 03 March 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

You are never going to fix that with any sort of rescale or remodel, not if you want it to keep actually looking like an Awesome.

The MW4 Awesome may not have been as wide as it is often depicted in lore, but still had the overall shape/look of an Awesome and had decent hitboxes, I don't think it is too much to ask for something a little more along those lines (thinned out torso).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 March 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#58 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 02 March 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

PS: What is the Volume of a Barndoor?

I'll take Fat Mechs for $300 Alex Trebek.
The popular, biggest quality of the Awesome.

#59 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

It is ridiculous that something like this is done willy nilly before now. Any competent company would have had a standard for balancing sizes from the beginning. Especially when size equates to how big the target on your back is playing and essentially denotes what class the mech is.

Just more PGI being PGI. I agree with Wintersdark that volumetric is the best most logical way of doing it.

#60 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 03 March 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

It is ridiculous that something like this is done willy nilly before now. Any competent company would have had a standard for balancing sizes from the beginning. Especially when size equates to how big the target on your back is playing and essentially denotes what class the mech is.
Just more PGI being PGI. I agree with Wintersdark that volumetric is the best most logical way of doing it.

How can volume mean anything in a 2d game? pixels is what matters,

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users