Lrm King?

53 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

Hello

With arhcer coming out i would like to know that in your opinion which is going to be a better lrm boat (based on load outs)

Cata
Mad dog
Archer
Stalker
Awesome

or any other mentions?

I am asking it because i have to decided to be play an lrm boat :P and just need to decide between cata, mad dog and archer

#2 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

Hunchback 4J

Battlemaster-- I think 3S?-the one with 4 missile hardpoints

Although you are forgetting the ultimate LRM boat- the dreaded TROLLMANDO

#3 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f963ece9a145088

#4 Dynamic Echo

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:03 AM

Mauler 1R is a good lurm boat - loads of missile quirks and room for 4 LRM15, with specific LRM15 quirks to boot. Still more fun to run it with srms though.

#5 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

All of the above are better with SRMs.

#6 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 03 March 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Hello
With arhcer coming out i would like to know that in your opinion which is going to be a better lrm boat (based on load outs)
Cata
Mad dog
Archer
Stalker
Awesome
or any other mentions?
I am asking it because i have to decided to be play an lrm boat Posted Image and just need to decide between cata, mad dog and archer

Whichever one Im piloting!

Archer is probably going to be a better Maddog.

#7 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

My Narc raven looks forward to the archer launch. =)

Say hi if you ever see me running my RVN-3L.

Personally, comparing the mechs that are available, I'd go with Maddog for speed + versatility. If you are an IS purest like me, Archer seems to be edging out the Catapult based on the info available. Never been fond of LRM assaults so can't say much about Mauler or Stalker.

#8 Dashia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

I had an ORN-VA with 2xlrm15, 2xlrm5 with artemis it worked pretty good.

#9 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

My LRMboat BattleMaster 1S, "Hilda", is my go-to mech when the solo queue has been f***ing with me. Because Hilda gives no f***s and takes no s***. Near max standard armor (legs at 65, everything else maxed), 4*ML, 2*ALRM15, 2*ALRM10, +3 double sinks, 340XL, endo steel, and 9 tons of ammo. She breaks 1k damage more consistently than any other mech I've used.

Edited by Escef, 03 March 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#10 Yankee77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

Hello

Cata
Mad dog
Archer
Stalker
Awesome

or any other mentions?

I am asking it because i have to decided to be play an lrm boat Posted Image and just need to decide between cata, mad dog and archer

Firslty, I suggest not to boat. At least keep some significant direct fire weapons. Large lasers are a good start, at least for the heavier mechs. :)

That said, as was previously said, you're missing the Hunchback 4J. One of the best LRM mediums in the game, due to its impressive LRM 10 quirks.

As for your original list, I'd say the competition will be between the Archer and Catapult. The Awesome is a nasty boat, but again LRM boating is dangerous at high skill levels, and taking up an assault slot with one is problematic.

Meanwhile, the Cat is definitely an ideal LRM mech with its configuration and quiks, but right now suffers from its ludicrous size, which tends to draw fire and make you easier to hit and pinpoint. On the other hand, it's a good XL mech due to its layout (which, I imagine, will remain the same even with rescale), which is really necessary to have good LRMs AND a decent alternate set of weapons. Being a lighter mech, it also has potentially better mobility and can mount Jump Jets (I usually put 1 in my catapults, which is enough to clear obstacles and climb ledges).

One the other hand, the Archer is THE original and iconic Inner Sphere LRM mech. This makes it almost a certainty it will have some good missile quirks, possibly LRM specific ones (unlike the Catapult). It also has a great placement for its CT energy hardpoints (perfect for TAG... to get a taste for it, load a TAG on a Hunchback 4J's head, you'll see), bunch more hardpoints than the Catapult, has 5 more tons to play with, and the hero version has ECM (which would replace the BAP you should always run on a lurmer). On the other hand, it's a taller mech, is probalby not as XL friendly (big side torsos, and has less mobility/no jump jets. It's also got more mobility on the arm hardpoints, but that may be countered by a smaller torso twist range (the Catapult's range is fairly large, after all)... though I imagine the arm weapons will make it easier for the Archer to deal with pesky lights.

My thinking is that the Archer will be the better LRM mech at first, especially if it has decent quirks. Once the Catapult gets its rescale, however, then there might be some parity. The Catapult would be a smaller and more mobile platform, while the Archer will be slower and more powerful.

Both, however, will win in the "cool weapons port" department. :)

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

I'd say Stalker, Awesome, and Mauler, probably in that order. The Kintaro has a neato troll build with LRM5s that can drive enemies insane, but I wouldn't call it the "king."

The Catapult and obviously the Archer will be strong runners up.

#12 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

Anything that can run 5-6 LRM5s has my vote for support mechs. The Archer with the possibility of 9 LRM5s (ie two chains at once for that extra troll goodness could be the blight of any mech caught in the open.

Also as above the clam HGN does A-CLRM15s very well...

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostDynamic Echo, on 03 March 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

Mauler 1R is a good lurm boat - loads of missile quirks and room for 4 LRM15, with specific LRM15 quirks to boot. Still more fun to run it with srms though.

A great mech to be sure, but I have found that it is not best used as a boat (at least for me). If you have an itch to stay close to the front line than 2 ALRM 15s and 2LPLs is great. Low heat and the Lrms are wicked follow up to your LPL hits. As an alternative, I droped in an XL engine and run 3 ALRM 15s and 2LL. Same Idea, but you are a bit more fragile so you need to play a bit further back. Both versions include a beagle as well. Lot of fun.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

Don't forget the Battlemaster-1S. Not only it can pack lurms, it has decent energy slots for back-up weapons as well.

Personally, I always have a soft spot for my Highlander-733. The Mauler-1R is probably better than it now, but the 733 has been my most successful LRM mech during 2013 and 2014.

Other than that, I think Awesome-8R has the best LRM quirks in the Assault bracket.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 March 2016 - 07:43 AM.

#15 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

Hello

Cata
Mad dog
Archer
Stalker
Awesome

or any other mentions?

There's plenty of options.

Mad Dog is a very solid option.
It's versatile mech, able to do the incredibly effective 6x5LRM build, or run any mix of missiles you want.

The Awesome is a reasonable option too.
Ultimately, anything in particular you want that has the capacity for 4+ launchers / 30-60+ tubes with a sensible amount of ammo should work out, as long as you can perform with it.

I'll add in the Adder as an honourable mention. The 2x15 Adder with around 7T of ammo is a very good little performer.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostOvion, on 03 March 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

I'll add in the Adder as an honourable mention. The 2x15 Adder with around 7T of ammo is a very good little performer.

I use 4xCLRM5s. :P

#17 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

Kraken 3 with 9M.

#18 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

Might I suggest young Rocketeer my favorite build.
The Orion VA a excellent missle boat, actually all of the Orion series are.
My personal load out consists of AC5, a large laser and 4 LRM/5's.
You play around with the load out to make it more lurmy or brawly.
The firing rate of the LRM/5 on this build is the fastest in the game.
The Orion VA has replaced my Stalker 5M as my favorite lurm troll.
Nothing breeds hate like a steady stream of applied LRM/5's.
Funny side note I had two Oxide guys this past week threatened hunt me down and cut my head off.
Because of the Orion VA.
Now ya gonna have some detractors, but if like em play.
If not your cup o tea well that's cool too.

#19 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 March 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

I use 4xCLRM5s. Posted Image
I favour the twin 15's, because I can take 2 ERML and a TAG as well.

#20 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

well i dont know about the others thats why i asked you people..

seems like battlemaster and the hunchie is interesting as well...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users