Psa: If You Want The Assaults Somewhere, Tell Them

9 replies to this topic

#1 William Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Just a public service announcement:

As an assault pilot who prefers Dire Wolves, we move when the game starts or else we get left behind. If you would like us assaults to go somewhere specific, please take charge and give us coordinates. We try to pay attention to our surroundings, but occasionally we slip up and turn the wrong direction. In these cases, we can use the help of a good leader.

If you do not give us coordinates when we slip up (a simple 'g5' in the chat will do nicely), then please do not complain when we are not where you would like us to be. If you give us coordinates and no one listens (which happens frighteningly often when pugging), that is a different story. Those of us who are competent, however, will do our best to stay with the team. We need our 'meat shields'. Posted Image

That is all. Enjoy the rest of your morning/day/evening.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

IMO, Assault pilots should take charge of the group early on, whenever possible. When the fight happens it usually becomes one-sided if one group's Assaults are not there.

#3 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

If you want to play an Assault mech you actually need to understand the important positions on maps and how to best get their in your slow mech sometimes more than some other weight classes.

If you need people to tell you where to go, you should probably stick to mediums or heavies so you can keep up and adjust course better.

Edited by Ultimax, 03 March 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#4 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • Locationnot the arse hole of the world, but I can see it from here

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

If people don't like the assaults not being around when the fight goes down, they shouldn't run off & leave them. the battle field (coordinates) will/should remain fluid until we know where the main enemy force is. all but a coupla spotters should be hanging with the assaults till we know where we are going.

#5 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:00 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 March 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

IMO, Assault pilots should take charge of the group early on, whenever possible. When the fight happens it usually becomes one-sided if one group's Assaults are not there.

This is so right.

Tonight on Alpine peaks I got to the other teams assaults along with the other lights and we slowed them down. then told the rest of the team to push the hill because none of their heaviest mechs were up there yet. Landslide victory. We didn't win by taking their assaults, just slowing them down.

#6 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostWilliam Pryde, on 03 March 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

Just a public service announcement:

As an assault pilot who prefers Dire Wolves, we move when the game starts or else we get left behind. If you would like us assaults to go somewhere specific, please take charge and give us coordinates. We try to pay attention to our surroundings, but occasionally we slip up and turn the wrong direction. In these cases, we can use the help of a good leader.

If you do not give us coordinates when we slip up (a simple 'g5' in the chat will do nicely), then please do not complain when we are not where you would like us to be. If you give us coordinates and no one listens (which happens frighteningly often when pugging), that is a different story. Those of us who are competent, however, will do our best to stay with the team. We need our 'meat shields'. Posted Image

That is all. Enjoy the rest of your morning/day/evening.

Assaults need to lead. They have all the armour

#7 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:07 AM

lead =/= command

i try to both lead and command when it looks like the team "really" needs it and nobody else feels like stepping up (though i prefer not to)

problem is... you make the call to push, push in... 2 other people do, you 3 get murdered, the rest of the team slaughtered a little after that... and then someone starts yelling at you how bad your command was (in 5 different ways without repeating a single insult twice)

but hey, sometimes it "does" work Posted Image

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 March 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

This is so right.

Tonight on Alpine peaks I got to the other teams assaults along with the other lights and we slowed them down. then told the rest of the team to push the hill because none of their heaviest mechs were up there yet. Landslide victory. We didn't win by taking their assaults, just slowing them down.

Every time I try this my entire team follows me like a lemming train, even if I say in chat "DON'T FOLLOW ME". So we end up at the bottom of H7 with the entire team poking and individually losing trades, but not enough balls to push around and we just get picked apart and people call each other names. It's great!

Posted Image

#9 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostNextGame, on 04 March 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

Assaults need to lead. They have all the armour

This is something i find a misconception: while assaults are often main-line mechs (for "main-line mech" i mean a mech that has enough medium-long range firepower and armor to be able to survive trades at medium-long range) not all of them are.
For example, the Atlas can spear-head a push, but only once the main-lines have closed enough already.
If the Atlas charges ahead too soon, it gets torn to shreads. Same thing goes for LRM assaults (like them or not), and many other Assault builds which cannot trade effectively at longer ranges.
All in all, while most assaults should lead, not all of them should, based on the build.

#10 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:18 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 04 March 2016 - 12:12 AM, said:

This is something i find a misconception: while assaults are often main-line mechs (for "main-line mech" i mean a mech that has enough medium-long range firepower and armor to be able to survive trades at medium-long range) not all of them are.
For example, the Atlas can spear-head a push, but only once the main-lines have closed enough already.
If the Atlas charges ahead too soon, it gets torn to shreads. Same thing goes for LRM assaults (like them or not), and many other Assault builds which cannot trade effectively at longer ranges.
All in all, while most assaults should lead, not all of them should, based on the build.

100% agree. I don't care how much you want me to be able to, but my 4x PPC Masakari will not be as good in a short-range push as some of the SRM and AC build heavies on my team. Sure I'll share armor in a fight, but don't expect THAT to lead a push.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users