Battlemaster And Xl Engine

11 replies to this topic

#1 PUFNSTUF

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:02 AM

How many people run xl's in their battlemasters? Still trying to decide on which IS assault I want to get, and after playing around with a few builds for the masters I have one or two that seem nice with xl's in them, but I mainly see std engines run in the meta builds. Would it be safer in the C variant due to the structure quirks? Or do most people not run it just to be safe?

#2 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:51 AM

XL battle master is quite fun Posted Image

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b4d482fb87b608b
8 Midpulse Laser with 23 doubles at 80.9 kph

With my cooldown modules, elite 2x efficiency and quirks the cooldown is 2 seconds
So that's 96 damage in 2 seconds (good for peaking or hit n run but you cant miss!)
Its amazing for taking out lights haahhahah

or
6 Mid pulse - 2Medium lasers - 24 doubles
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...304ad70637c9bcf

You could do 6 mid pulse in the C variant also with more side torso hp

I do use standard engines on my other ones
Good at brawling and evenly split firepower(do 30 lb 10x ammo for full cockpit armor)
BLR-1D - 59.4 kph - 18 doubles - 464 armor - 4 mid pulse -1 large pulse - 1 lb 10x - 2 machine gun

Edited by kesuga7, 04 March 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#3 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:46 AM

Only problem with XLs is that you want to put the biggest ones in and they cost a lot...
The Beef has a video on an XL Battlemaster, you might've heard about it...:P

Me, i've got a thing for SRMs and LPLs: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de3ff7d5e080fe0
It will run a bit hot, especially if you leave cover and jump into the fray (but you should refrain from doing it, as the XL makes you squishy). Also, the armor distribution should be modified according to taste.

Edited by aaykeem, 04 March 2016 - 02:47 AM.

#4 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:30 AM

I only run my battlemasters with a XL engine. It's risky, but i love fast assaults.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44cc66a2b214575

My personnal hero Wubmaster =)

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

The idea of an assault mech running with a pack of mediums, chasing down slow mediums.

Priceless

(or for the cost of an XL 400)

And I XL battlemasters, mostly. Then I also try to get one or two MG's in the builds, just for some dakka and lights tend to not like being around MG fire for some reason. (like their legs)

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 04 March 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#6 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

I have a pretty fantastic flanker 1G.

XL 380
3 LPL
3 ML

One shot to the back armor can take down a heavy. It has fared very well in CW, as well. Just don't be the tip of the spear. EVER.

#7 PUFNSTUF

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

Awesome thanks for the help. The builds I have experimented with are very similar to some of those posted.

#8 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:52 AM

I loathe the idea of putting an XL in an assault. I feel that it takes away from your ability to tank for the team. You may not have a ton of armor in your battlemaster, but it's enough to draw fire for you team, or survive an engagement. While I was mastering the battlmasters, I would almost always lose a ST before I lost my CT. If a mech often loses a ST before its CT, it's not XL friendly. The battlemaster is also a fairly light(ish) assault, and so it is fairly obvious when someone is running an XL. I would not recommend one. If you choose to put an XL in anyway, I would say either an XL380 or XL400. Anything smaller isn't efficient or cost effective.

Peace, and have fun

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,962 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

View PostPUFNSTUF, on 04 March 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

How many people run xl's in their battlemasters? Still trying to decide on which IS assault I want to get, and after playing around with a few builds for the masters I have one or two that seem nice with xl's in them, but I mainly see std engines run in the meta builds. Would it be safer in the C variant due to the structure quirks? Or do most people not run it just to be safe?

I've Given It a Whirl. This is my current iteration - other builds have worked, too.

The Battlemaster can support both XL and standard engine builds - properly piloted, the XL allows you the speed to engage the enemy's Heavy and Medium 'mechs from locations they don't expect you to be, and to mercilessly bully those 'mechs out of position with your superior armor and firepower. You can't use it like a "tank" Assault, but there's much, much more to Assault piloting than just absorbing damage. An XL Battlemaster mitigates damage to your team by distracting the enemy with its firepower and bullying snipers on the flanks, not by pretending to be an Atlas.

Edit: helps to actually put the link into the post...

Edited by Void Angel, 06 March 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

Yesterday, I ran a BLR-2C with XL 400, 3x LPL, 2x ML, 2x AMS, in a CW drop on Sulfurous Rift, HOLD TERRITORY. For the first time, broke 900 damage in my first mech in a CW drop, and it was THAT mech. Being able to relocate a mech with +/- 100 CT front armor, at speeds exceeding a lot of IS heavies, is downright FUN. (I know dual-AMS isn't popular, but it really is handy against both LRMs and SRMs, and significantly enhances the mech's survivability, especially with an XL engine.)

I love that mech.

Yeah, XL Fattlemasters are fun. The HUGE engine cap makes them fast, and the great hard point layout makes them deadly. And the -2C's quirks make it a TANK.

But I usually run a 325 or 340 STD in them, if I'm being honest. That one's an exception, an set back my acquisition of Warhawks by a week or two...

#11 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...746732491433c7c

XL 350 (71.7 /w speed boost)
2 LPL
4 ML
1 Gauss

Endo
3 external DHS

#12 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

Battlemaster 1G
6x ML
1x LL
1x LB10 (2 1/2 tons ammo)
10x DHS (5 in engine)
Engine: XL375
Armor: 496/526

I tend to do reasonably well with it. LL is for poking/long range. the MLs are for stripping armor and the LB10 is for going after internals.

Edited by AnimeFreak40K, 17 March 2016 - 01:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users